OCR Interpretation


The Jewish advance. (Chicago, Ill.) 1878-1881, September 20, 1878, Image 1

Image and text provided by University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Library, Urbana, IL

Persistent link: https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn90053038/1878-09-20/ed-1/seq-1/

What is OCR?


Thumbnail for

Execute the Judgment of Truth and Peace in your Gates.
A WEEKLY JOURNAL DEVOTED TO SOCIAL INTERESTS AND PROGRESSIVE JUDAISM.
VOL. I
CHICAGO, SEPTEMBER 20, 1878
No. 15
APOTHEGMS.
(FROM THE TURKISH.)
An Ancient Tree.
Mock not the fruit-tree’s wrinkled face,
Its knotty boughs, its want of grace;
For underneath no barren tree
'Could you so many missiles see.
Bitter Words.
The knife’s sharp cut can be endured—
Its ugly gash by time is cured;
'But^bitter words, when they o’erfiow,
Inflict a deep, unhealing blow.
The Rif/ht Road.
How easy ’tis for some to say,
■“Your route is wrong, that’s not the way!”
For, when the carriage breaks, all know
Which road the driver ought to go.
Death.
Death is the dark, grim guest,
Who slights not rich nor poor—
The coal-black camel’s form whicli
Kneels at every door.
(In Appletons for October.)
;For the Jewish Advance.
ALBERT COHN.
Long before the year 1854 the subject
has been broached that some institutions
be established in Palestine to alleviate
the suffering of the inhabitants. Since
the year 1827, Sir Moses Montefiore has
visited that country several times. He
has sent in 1842 a number of looms to
Jerusalem to introduce linen manufac
ture among the Israelites of that city,
and a mechanic’ to teach them that
trade. At the same time he has estab
lished a school for young girls as an an
nex to the linen manufactory.. The pu
pils of that school were to receive a
primary education and to learn a trade
in that school. The proposition was
they should make marketing articles
from the linen which will be produced
in the manufactory. The generous Ba
ronet has at the same time helped the
Israelites of Jaffa, Hebron and Tiberia,
to undertake agricultural work. But
the general situation of the country did
not permit all this work to prosper.
Neither the linen fabrication with its
school, nor the agricultural enterprises
: succeeded. In the.year 1854, Jerusalem
had no school, no hospital, no home for
the poor, no charitable or educational
institution of any kind, The honor was
preserved for Albert Cohn to establish
such institutions at Jerusalem in the
name of the Rothschild family—and he
had the pleasure to see them prosper.
VII.
Albert Colm left Paris on June 11th,
to go on his mission to Jerusalem. The
Consistorial Committee on relief, of
which he was the President, presented
him with a gold medal on the occasion
of his departure. Accompanying the
present was a letter of commendation
in which the beautiful sentiment was
expressed that "lie, like Abraham of old,
“has triumphed over the feelings of love
“and affection for his family, in order to
“go to Holy Mountain to obey the will
“of the Most High.’"
He went to Vienna first to obtain
some necessary letters of recommenda
tion. Austria was at that time (and is
perhaps still), the only European power
which took great interest in the Israel
ites of the Orient. She has a great many
Jewish subjects and proteges in the
Eastern countries, and her ambassadors
have always shown great sympathy for
them. The reader will perhaps remem
ber, that in the Damascus affair, in
which the French ambassador has sided
against the Jews, the Austrian ambassa
dor has taken their part and was their
only support.
Albert Cohn was well received at
Vienna, He has obtained an interview
with the young Emperor, and the Earl
of Buol-Schauenstein and the Baron
von Bach, the two prime ministers of
that epoch, gave him letters of recom
mendation to the Austrian ambassador
,_,the consul of
Jerusalem and to the consular cofps’o’T
various seaport towns of the Levant.
He has embarqued at Triest on June
22, visited the Jewish community of
Corfu on his way, and arrived at Alex
andria on July 29. Here he made the
acquaintance of Mr. Michael Erlanger,
who accompanied him to Jerusalem.
Albert Cohn remained five days in
Alexandria. There was a great split
among the Jews of that city, the natives
and those who had arrived from other
countries being unfriendly disposed to
ward one another. Albert Cohn called
a mass meeting of all the Jews of
xYlexandria, and in a very eloquent
speech he reproached both parties for
their wrongs toward each other and ex
horted. them to unite in peace and har
mony. He announced to them that he will
consecrate their union with the estab
lishment of two schools in their city,
one for boys and the other for girls,
which will be the first step made toward
securing a better future for their chil
dren. Addressing himself to a mixed
audience he had to speak in Arabian,
Hebrew and Italian, alternately. The
next day a committee was formed which
made out a constitution for the schools
to be established, and Albert Cohn
wrote forthwith to Triest for a manager
to be sent directly.
On July 7th, Albert Cohn, with his
companion, Mr. Erlanger, arrived at
Jaffa. The whole Jewish community of
that city, together with committees sent
out for the purpose from Jerusalem
waited for them on the shore. Our two
travelers thanked God for the privilege
of treading for the first time the ground
of the Holy Land, and, to use his own
expression, "it was with such tears in
their eyes as Joseph might have had
when he recognized his brothers,” that
they went to the synagogue to perform
their Minim devotion.
In the evening of July 8th (Saturday
night), they left for Jerusalem. The
moon was bright. Behind them was the
calm sea reflecting the inconceivable
mystery of Divine Providence in silvery
ruffles, before them were the dark out
lines of the mountains of Judea. They
stopped at Rami eh, at Aba-Gruch (the
ancient Kiryatli Yearim), and at Culu
nyeli or Clunia, a village situated about
nine miles from Jerusalem, where
they were met by a Jewish deputation.
‘ They continued their road—says Mr.
“Erlanger—followed by a large con
course of people which always increas
ed as they came nearer to Jerusalem,
“At the outskirts of the city itself they
“were met, as it appeared, by the whole
“population.’’ ,
When they came in sight of the city
Albert Cohn dismounted. lie did not
want to enter on horseback the holy city
which had been once so flourishing and
was now wrapt in mourning. Before tak
ing any rest he repaired to the eastern
wall iff theVfieienf temple to prostfate
himself at the place where so many
generations have offered their fervent
prayers.
The whole week was spent in visiting
and interviewing, and especially in in
quiries about the state of the leading
personages and affairs of the city.
Albert Cohn bought the house in which
he was lodged for the purpose of con
verting it into a hospital. It was his
desire to inaugurate the hospital him
self. The work was therefore carried on
day and night to fit up the house for its
new destination, and Mr. Erlanger has
managed it with the same remarkable
intelligence and precision which he has
evinced since then in the constructions
of the Jewish community at Paris.
In the meantime Albert Cohn made
an excursion southward of Jerusalem.
On July 20th he went to Hebron. On
his road he stopped at the tomb of
Rachel, where he found the names of
Moses Montefiore and Baron Gustav de
Rothschild inscribed, who had been
there before him. At Hebron he visit
ed the cave of Macpelali, and in the
neighborhood of that city he went to see
several other places which are memor
able in connection with the history of
David. On his return to Jerusalem he
visited the village of Bethlehem. These
excursions were made not without
danger. The Turkish troops were at
that time T>n the battle-field, and the
roads were not safe. Albert Colin had
to engage the services of a roving troup,
which had constituted itself as a sort of*
police, to accompany him from Hebron
to Jerusalem. That troup of savages
has extorted from him twice consider
able sums of money, Subsequently he
fitted out a guard of his own to accom
pany him on his expeditions.
With this new escort he visited Ila
mah, Sichem, Naplouse, the mounts of
Gerisim and Ebal, the Samaritan com
munity, which comprised at that time
134 souls, and its two great priests, Se
lama and Amram. He ascended the
mount of Gerisim on Friday, July 21, to
see the ruins of the Samaritan temple.
On July 25th money was distributed to
the poor without distinction of creed,
and on the 26th the hospital was inau
gurated. At the ceremony of inaugu
ration the councils of Austria, England,
Prussia and France were present in full
state. Albert Cohn invoked the bless
ings of God on the new institution and
committed it to the protection of the
councils. Prayers were offered at the
inauguration in behalf of the Sultan
Abdul-Medjid and in behalf of the vari
ous governments represented by the re
spective councils. The medical service
of the new hospital was confided tp Hr.
Bernhard Neuman, and eighteen pa
tients were received on the day of the
inauguration. The expenses of the first
establishment of that institution were
defrayed by Baron James de Bothschild
and the name his •sittttror “Mayer
Rothschild” was- called upon ifr One
department received the name of James
Rothschild, another one that of Sir
Moses Montefiore. etc. Every depart
ment received a different name. Over
one of the beds the motto of the Con
sistorial Committee of Relief was in
scribed :
Comite Cons into rialThe hospital is
situated on the south side of the city,
and from the terrace thereof the ruins
of the western wall of the temple can
be seen. Beside the attendance to the
sick inside, medical advice is given to
outdoor patients and medicines are given
to all applicants without distinction of
creed. Two years later Albert Cohn
established a library at the hospital for
the use for the patients.
Since the year 1854 the following in
stitutions have been introduced by Al
bert Cohn at Jerusaiem :
1. Oeuvre Betty de Rothschild, which
was called into existence b}' Mine.
James de Rothchild for lying-in women,
in which every patient receives the me
dical attention of a midwife, linens for
herself and child and a certain sum of
money at leaving the place.
2. A fund of loans with a capital of
100,000 piaster. Every working man
can obtain a loan of 100—800 piaster
from this fund to pay two per cent
weekly without any interest whatever.
On account of inexperienced manage
ment -this institution lasted only for
about two years.
3. A - school for young girls under the
protection of Mine. Nathaniel de Roth
schild. The scholars receive in that
school religious and secular instruction
and in ladies’ handiwork.

xml | txt