Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1777-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more
About The Frostburg spirit. (Frostburg, Md.) 1913-1915
Frostburg, Md. (1913-1915)
- The Frostburg spirit. : (Frostburg, Md.) 1913-1915
- Place of publication:
- Frostburg, Md.
- Geographic coverage:
- P.L. Livengood
- Dates of publication:
- Began in 1913; ceased in 1915.
- Frostburg (Md.)--Newspapers.
- Archived issues are available in digital format from the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- Description based on: 42nd year, no. 32 (Sept. 11, 1913).
- sn 90057193
- Preceding Titles:
- Succeeding Titles:
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
The Frostburg Spirit
The Frostburg Spirit traces its origins to the purchase in 1913 of the printing plant and subscription list of the defunct Frostburg Mining Journal by Peter L. Livengood. Livengood (1863-1944) was a native of western Maryland who had worked in the local coal mines as a teen after the death of his father. At the age of 22, he started the Carleton Times newspaper in Carleton, Nebraska before returning east to Salisbury, Pennsylvania, where he published the Somerset County Star from 1891 until 1909. Livengood then moved again and published the Windber Era in Windber, PA from 1909 to 1912. In 1912, he purchased a half interest in the Meyersdale Republican in Meyersdale, PA, which he then sold to his brother, W.S. Livengood in 1913. The Frostburg Spirit commenced publication on September 11, 1913 as a weekly, and Peter Livengood considered it the successor to the Frostburg Mining Journal, continuing the Journal's volume numbering sequence.
Peter Livengood regarded the Spirit as a repository of Republican Party values, but he also knew from personal experience the hard life of the miner. His poem, "The Brave Men Down in the Mines" appeared in the inaugural issue. Generally, the editorial tone of the Spirit was one of boosterism for local businesses, while noting with approval such benevolent developments as the opening of a new Miner's Hospital in 1913. Livengood kept his readers informed with extensive coverage of local news and events, summaries of news from outside the Frostburg area, light fiction, fashion, sports, humor, and advertisements.
Livengood announced that he had sold the newspaper to Lawrence Hitchins in the January 26, 1915 issue, which also was the final issue under the Frostburg Spirit title. Although he claimed poor health, Livengood also complained that the people of Frostburg could not support a daily newspaper, and that much advertising revenue was lost to Cumberland dailies. He also announced that the former editor, J.B. Oder, would be returning to edit the paper, which would resume the Frostburg Mining Journal title. The veteran newspaperman returned to Salisbury, Pennsylvania and wrote columns for the Meyersdale Republican until shortly before his death in 1944.
Provided by: University of Maryland, College Park, MD