Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1770-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more
About The Saint Paul globe. (St. Paul, Minn.) 1896-1905
St. Paul, Minn. (1896-1905)
- The Saint Paul globe. : (St. Paul, Minn.) 1896-1905
- Alternative Titles:
- Saint Paul daily globe May 11, 1896-May 13, 1896
- St. Paul globe
- Place of publication:
- St. Paul, Minn.
- Geographic coverage:
- Dates of publication:
- Vol. 19, no. 132 (May 11, 1896)-v. 28, no. 120 (Apr. 30, 1905).
- Minnesota--Saint Paul.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01212130
- Saint Paul (Minn.)--Newspapers.
- Archived issues are available in digital format as part of the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- Available on microfilm from the Minnesota Historical Society.
- Title varies slightly.
- Weekly eds.: St. Paul weekly globe, May 11, 1896-Sept. 7, 1899, and: St. Paul semiweekly globe, Sept. 12, 1899-<June 28, 1900>.
- sn 90059523
- Preceding Titles:
- Related Titles:
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
Daily Globe, St. Paul Daily Globe and Saint Paul Globe
The Daily Globe published its first edition in Saint Paul on January 15, 1878. Its founder was Harlan P. Hall, a former editor and publisher of the Saint Paul Dispatch. The Globe was a Democratic newspaper and a competitor of the Dispatch, which had gone from Democratic to Republican when Hall sold it in 1876, and of the Republican Pioneer Press. Starting on January 16, 1878, the Globe became the official newspaper of the city of Saint Paul (where Democrats were a majority) and published all official announcements, continuing in this role for several years. Furthering the competition between newspapers, in the first Sunday paper on January 20, 1878, Hall noted the Globe “has made a new departure in St. Paul journalism by announcing its intention to issue a paper every day of the year.” The Pioneer Press quickly took up the challenge by starting to print a Monday paper, also making the claim of publishing every day of the year. Over time, the Globe also appeared as the St. Paul Daily Globe and the Saint Paul Globe until it ceased publication on April 20, 1905.
In addition to covering events in Saint Paul, the Globe printed news from Minneapolis (for a time called “Minneapolis Globules”) and from other nearby cities. It also provided state, regional, national, and telegraphic news, fiction, and baseball scores and other sports coverage. A transition of format in 1887 led to advertising being dropped from the front page, leaving more room for news articles. Advertisements were printed throughout the paper, often incorporating illustrations, and classified ads were also included. The editorial page provided several long editorials. The Globe included a letters column and political cartoons, and later a society section and a woman’s page. Starting in April 1886 and continuing for three years, the Saturday Globe had a separate section called the “Dakota Edition” which provided news from the Dakota Territory. In 1903, the Sunday Globe began to print eight pages in color. Also in 1903, the sports page was named “The World of Sport.” The daily paper expanded from the original four pages to an average of 10-16 pages. The Sunday Globe eventually grew to 52 pages, including four pages of comics.
The Globe had various owners throughout its publication history. In 1893, the Norman Kittson estate purchased the newspaper. James J. Hill, the St. Paul railway baron known as the “Empire Builder,” was the last owner, acquiring the Globe in 1896. A number of editors served the Globe under Hill. During this time, the Globe promoted the railroads and economic expansion, supporting Hill’s business interests. But with increased costs, decreased advertising, and subscription numbers dropping, Hill decided the paper could not be sustained, and the final issue was published April 20, 1905.
Provided by: Minnesota Historical Society; Saint Paul, MN