Newspaper Page Text
Winona, the Beautiful "Gateway City" of piinnesota LARGE MANUFACTURING INTERESTS ARE CAUSING STEADY GROWTH New Enterprises Have Appreciated t»he Facilities Offered at* Winona—Excellent* Shipping Accommodations— The Country Seat of Winona Country and a Word as t»o Its History. Among the many gems which adorn Minnesota's diadem of beautiful towns and cities, Winona, "Gateway City" of the state, is among the most beautiful and prosperous. Nestled, like a jewel in its case, be tween the towering bluffs of Wisconsin, across the Mississippi, and the gently rising hills which lie back of the city, Winona —erstwhile yclept "Wapasha." in the language of the Dacotahs, and "Prairie aux Aile (Wing prairie) in the Canadian vernacular of the early explorers—offers a restful picture of peace and beauty to the visitor not easily forgotten, and the subtle charm of semi-mystery which hangs over the sad romance of Wee-no-nah, the beau teous Indian maiden from whom the city takes its name, seems more potent when one has visited the scene of "Lover's Leap" than ever before. The legend connected with the fate of Wee-no-nah is a sad one. It is related that she loved and was beloved by a young warrior, but when her lov er sought to buy her as a wife, ac cording to the customs of their race, the father of the girl refused to lis ten. He had himself picked out a hus band for his Wee-no-nah, and would have none other for son-in-law. Rath er than submit to the forced marriage, Wee-no-nah, seizing a favorable mo ment, when none were near to pre vent, leaped from the immense rock now pointed out as "Lover's Leap," and with the name of her sweetheart ringing from her lips, sank into the raging waters of the Mississip. In contrast to the turbulent rushing of the "Fathers of Waters" on his way to the ocean is the quiet repose of Lake Winona, which lies to the south of the city at the foot of the densely wooded hills, above, which old Sugar Loaf raises his iofty head full 600 feet. The view from the hilltop drive is sur passingly fine. In the city proper boulevarded streets, flanked on either side by beautiful shade trees and well kept lawns, have rendered possible the making of a "city beautiful," and this surely has been done to a very large extent. What, some fifty years ago, was a vast treeless plateau, is now a waving grove of verdure, for scarce is there a home in the city which is not sur rounded with shade trees and a lawn embellished by flowers, while the mu nicipal authorities have seen to it that the parks and public grounds are well provided with the same beauty makers. The Park System. The park system of the city is noted the country over, and represents an outlay of $106,000. In each of the four wards of the city is a little park—3oo feet square—laid out with neatly grav eled walks, broad lawns and well kept flower beds. In addition to these is the leve.^, or "Water Front park." This "strip o' nature" embraces some seven and one-half .acres of ground, and is an attractive piece of landscape garden ing, laid right at the water's edge. In the Central park there has recently been installed a beautiful fountain sur mounted by a cleverly conceived bronze statue of the Indian maiden "Wee-no-nah." The fountain was a gift to the city from Mr. W. J. Landon, and bears the inscription in addition to the title, "In Memory of Ida Cone Lan don." It was erected by Mr. Landon as a memorial to his wife. Quite recently a large plat of ground overlooking Lake Winona has been purchased by the park board, who plan the laying out of an extensive park and drive. First Settlers. While the first habitation on the site pf what is now Winona was erected by the Rev. R. D. Stevens in 1836, it was not until 1851 that any direct at- THE UNION FIBRE GO A New Enterprise Which Is Meeting With Success. tt , Httle more than a year ago the Lnion Fibre company, a corporation organized under the laws of the state of New Jersey, established an exten sive manufacturing business in the old Harvester Works building. It is par ticularly advantageous to this section of the country, as it utilizes an im mense amount of flax straw in the manufacture of their insulating and deafening materials. One of the articles of their manufac ture is known as the Kelly's flax fibre floor deadener and building felt, and is possibly the best material ever put on the market for the deadening of sound in the floors and walls of a building, as „ well as a great non-conductor of heat and cold. It is said that a building can be made 50 per cent warmer by using this ma terial instead of ordinary building pa per. The difference in cost could be saved in one winter in the amount of fuel used. They are putting this prod uct on the market at a very low figure and it is in the reach of all classes of builders. They also manufacture a cold storage insulation called Lith Board, that Is unsurpassed for this class of work. Scientific tests have proven that this material is the best non-conductor of heat and cold that has ever been put on the market for insulating purposes. They have recently closed some very large contracts for cold storage insula- # From every, indication the capacity of the plant will haVe to be increased within a short time. Any one who con templates building will do well to cor respond with the Union Fiber company, of Winona, . Minn.,, for samples, and »rices of their material. tempt at a permanent settlement was made. In that year Capt. Orrin Smith, of the Galena & St. Paul Packet com pany, foreseeing the possibilities of the location, took up a section of land which is now the business district. His mate, Irwin H. Johnson (upon whom he depended to hold the claim in his absence), put up a "squatter's" shack on the section, as he also did upon an adjoining section (now lower-town), which he took up in his own name. Settlers came quite rapidly, but it was not until 1857 .that the village was incorporated, with M. Wheeler Ser geant as the first mayor. Since that time there have been nine incumbents of the position, the present mayor be ing L,. L. Brown (Democrat), who was elected for the two-year term provided by the town's charter, defeating his Republican opponent, Mr. E. R. Tar bell, a former mayor, by a narrow majority, but slightly in ex cess of fifty votes. Mr. Brown is a successful attorney, who has re sided In Winona nearly all his life. He was born but a few miles from the city proper, and received his education and bringing up in Wtnona. A Prosperous City. The history of the city, from the erection of the first "frame" dwelling house by J. S. Denman at what is now the corner of Lafayette and Second streets, to the present day, has been one of a steady growth and prosperity, with hardly a setback of importance. 1 SIPS! R;V 9 fIHH 3 ! ZB% ■''•!' W'^'v^^l '':r' ' immiiiMiifcitr- w 1 ■ Statue of "Wee-no-nah" Which Adorns the Fountain In Central Park. The first railroad connection in the West was made on Dec. 9, 1862, when the Winona & St. Peter road was com pleted from Winona to Stockton, a distance of eleven miles—this being the EMPIRE LUMBER CO Thriving Concern Whose Wl nona Interests Are Extensive. One of the most important of the industries which have assisted in the upbuilding of Wlnona is that of lum ber making, and the business of The Empire Lumber company Is the out growth of what is possibly the first es tablished enterprise of its kind In the city. The Empire company, as it now is, was incorporated in 1881. succeeding to the established trade of Horton & Hamilton, who commenced lumber sawing at Winona in the early fifties. The mills of the Empire company, located in the westerly part of the city, annually produce about 32,000.000 feet of lumber. The buildings and yards occupy an area of about 30 acres along the river front, and employment is afforded fully 300 men in season. The company secures its logs in Northern Wisconsin and along the up per Mississippi, maintaining its crews in the woods during the winter. In addition to its production of the raw lumber, the company maintains a factory for the manufacture of sash, doors and interior finish. Its annual output from this department is very extensive, and is shipped all over the Northwest. The officers of the company are: Charles Horton, president; G. W. Du lany, vice president; W. P. Tearse. sec retary and Rosco Horton treasurer. THE ST. PAUI* GLOBE, SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 27, 1903. 0^ - SJ^s^BiiisMSSSfal^^P™^^s^^^^*'^ _+ «fik Building of the Winona Seminary. first railway constructed in Minnesota west of the Mississippi. The first di rect railway connection with Chicago was made in 1864. At present there are five railway line which enter the city, viz.: The Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul, Chicago, Burlington & Quin cy, Chicago Great Western, Green Bay & Western and the Chicago North western. The latter road has within a short time increased the size and use fulness of its Winona shops, and it is planned to make them second only in size to the main shops of the railroad at Chicago. Has Many Interests. Situate in the heart of an excep tionally productive agricultural dis trict, Winona is not only, rich in the wealth of the products marketed there, but has important manufacturing in terests as well, the lines represented embracing extensive lumber and flour millls, wagon factories, carriage works and cooper shops, packing houses, foundries, fibre works, brick yards, boot and shoe manufactories, harness works, and others of which detailed mention is Impossible here. Surrounded as it is by any number of small villages and towns, Its Jobbing interests are not inconsiderable, and the deposits of the banks, of which there are five, as shown last year, $5, --000,000, indicates that there must be THEWINONASEEDGO Well Established Concern Deal- Ing in Wholesale and Retail. Situated as Winona is in the heart of a most productive agricultural district, it is not surprising that a concern deal- Ing in the seeds from whence the crops are derived should enjoy a large and lucrative business, and the Winona Seed company is all that could be ex pected of it. The company carries a full line of field, garden and flower seeds, and deals as well in shrubbery, plants and potatoes. It was established as a co-partner ship in 1895, and somewhat later was incorporated under Minnesota laws, with an authorized capital of $25,000. The company occupies comfortable of fices and salesrooms at 110 Center street, and has three warehouses in the city for the storage of its seeds and products. A specialty is made of caring for mail orders, and the shipments to Northwestern points, including North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin, lowa and Minnesota annually reach a large figure. It deals in both a wholesale and re tai| way, numbering among its cus tomers many of the smaller seed deal ers in its territory. The officers of the company are A. R Blair, president and treasurer; C. R. Blair, vice ©resident, and R. S. Blair, secretary. wealth in the community. These fig ures are for deposits alone, the loans and discounts for the same period fig uring $4,500,000 —substantial eviden ces of general prosperity, it would seem. With the excellent locations which can be offered factories there, to gether with the possibilities along the line of economical operation, there is small doubt that these Interests will be largely increased within the near future. The almost inexhaustible sup plies in the way of hard wood and pine for lumber which lie at the city's very door almost, seemingly guarantee the continuation for many years of the lumber interests, and the refuse from the mills offers a cheap solution of the fuel question for factories. Population, 22,000. Conservatively figured, it is estimated that there are ml Winona some 22, --000 inhabitants. Considering this pop ulation, it is rather more than a Bur prise to find the exceptional retail bus iness that exists, arid to note the ex tensive and comprehensive establish ments which are open for the accom modation of the jiublic. There is small need for trips to larger cities in making a season's purchase, for the latest and best of designs and styles in almost every line of trade are to be found on the shelves and tables of the up-to date merchants of the city. As evidence of the city's substantial growth, it may be noted that within the past two years, sixteen new manu facturing enterprises with an aggre gate capital of over $3,000,000 have lo cated there. The location of the new industries there, however, is hardly to be wondered at, considering the ex cellence of the facilities offered at that point. The aggregate capital invested in Winona manufacturing enterprises is now in excess of 519,000,000. The School System. With a keen foresight and true wis dom, the people of Winona have pro vided liberally for the education of their young, the public school system including seven grammar schools and a high school, the total value of school properties footing up $430,000. Of this sum, a valuation of $80,000 is placed on the high school building and grounds. Beside the public schools, there are located at Winona a number of paro chial schools and private schools, as well as the First 'state normal school, a handsome brick structure situated in the midst of beautiful and extensive grounds. The building and grounds are valued at something over $150,000. The attendance last year at the normal school was slightly in excess of 500, that of the public schools 3,000, and at the parochial and private schools pos sibly half as many more. A complete and up-to-date business college adds the practical training desired for the city's young:. One of the sightly places of the city is the young ladies' seminary, a board ing school conducted by the Sisters of St. Francis. The citizens' of Winona take special pride in this institution, which, with its handsome grounds and substantial building, is well worth the seeing. The school comprises an elementary and an academic department, a con servatory of musician art department and a departnvent'of expression. In the academic department classical, sci entific, English aSid- Commercial courses are offered. The conservatory of mu sic haa extensive aitd thorough courses in instrumental an* vocal music. The art department' gives instruction in drawing, paintlftg :Suia china decorat ing. The department of expression em braces courses Ih elocution and physi cal culture. The" seminary possesses a fine gymnasium, Equipped with the most approved apparatus and baths. Courses in various' lines of domestic science are alscr-given. The faculty is large and efficient, and the attendance is drawn from i the ibest classes of the Northwest. 11 As an adjunct to (her schools the city boasts a handsome''free public library donated by Mr. W. H. Laird, one of the R. D. CONE COMPANY Wholesale Hardware, Iron and Wagdi Material 62-72 East* Second Street; WiNONA, MINN. city's public spirited residents. The building? was erected at a cost of some 550,000, and with its books and furnish ings, is carried on the city's balance sheet at half as much more. Winona i 3 headquarters for the Na tional Educational association, its sec retary. Prof. Irwin Shepard, former president of the state normal school, residing there. The city boasts two daily papers, the Evening Republican and Herold and the Winona Independent, the for mer a Republican paper, and the lat ter an independent of Democratic tendencies. Of church organizations there are four and twenty, with nearly as many substantial houses of worship. Public Improvements. The most notable of the public build ings are the court house, a fine gray stone structure with brown sandstone trimmings, completed at a cost of $125. --000, and the building which serves the government^ as postofflce and court house. The latter edifice cost $180,000. It is made of white Winona limestone with Bedford trimmings, and is surely a beautiful building. Probably also worthy of special mention is the Gener al hospital, a handsome building well equipped for the useful position it fills. In keeping with the modern progres siveness displayed in other matters, the streets In the business district are paved with brick and are well lighted, electricity being used in the down towja districts, and gas in the residence por tions. There are four miles of brick paviQg, which cost $125,000, eighteen of sewerage system, placed at an expense of $170,000, and a waterworks system (supplied largely from artesian wells) which is valued at $350,000. A paid fire department of thirty-one members, with four companies, under the direc tion of Chief Wise Norton, and an effi cient and well managed police depart ment under Chief L. Schoenig, afford the city protection. Several bridges span the Mississippi at this point, the most notable of them being the new high bridge, a steel wagon bridge, costing $100,000 to erect, and its approaches probably $25,000 more. An electric street railway system covers the town. The company oper ates on single tracks, of which there are about five miles at present. Postoffice Business Grows. The postoffice business at the Wi nona office increased over fifty per cent from 1&98 to 1903, this exclusive of the money order department, the gross re ceipts for 1902 being in round numbers $45,000, while for the same period the money order business aggregated $316, --270. The office is a government depos itory for postmasters' funds. The principal municipal officers are: Mayor, L. L. Brown; recorder, Paul Kemp; treasurer, E. J. Fockens; attor ney, W. A. Finkelnburg; engineer, G. P. Coleman; health officer, Dr. E. D. Keyes; municipal judge, W. J. Smith; special judge, S. H. Somsen, and as sessor, H. W. Posz. The board of al dermen, consisting of two from each of the four wards and one at large, is made up as follows: President, Jas. K. Simpson; vice president, M. Libera; aldermen, A. B. Heim, Henry Hess, Ja cob Michalowski, Wm. Miller, Wm. H. Reuss, J. T. Rowan and L. C. Tarcas. The city covers an area of about eighteen square miles, and there are in the neighborhood of 5,000 dwelling houses in it. A Board of Trade, composed of lead ing business men of Winona, assists in the promotion of the city's inter ests, and the secretary of that body is always glad to furnish any desired information. It is one of the semi-tragic incidents of the city's history that Mr. Wm. Ash ley Jones, editor of the Argus, the first paper published at Winona, and the man responsible for the Americanized spellling of the Indian name, is now an Inmate of the Home of the Little Sis ters of the Poor in St. Paul, although years ago he was a wealthy and influ ential citizen of Winona SCHROTH <& AHRENS CO. WITH US MEANS STRICTL V WHITE PINE Bay State Milling ===== COMPANY MILLERS OF HARD SPRING WHEAT DAILY CAPACITY 3,500 BBLS. "Wingold Flour" WINONA - MINNESOTA Fourth Largest. Producers in the United States Minnesota Harness Factory (Incorporated) ■ * • • * • ===== Manufacturers ===== HARNESS AND COLLARS JOBBERS SADDLERY HARDWARE . WINONA, MINN. . Winona Wagon Co. Rushford and Winona for careful, conservative farmers who want to invest their money to the bsst ad vantage. The RUSH FORD Wagon has been made in Minnesota for 43 years and is well known as the leading farm wagon of the Northwest. The WINONA Is only a few years old but with Its Iron Clad Hubs and Outer Bearing Axles has become very popular. We shall be glad to mall circulars giving full dsscription to prospective buyers. Winona Wagon Company WINONA. MINNESOTA Laird, Norton Company LUMBER PINE V. SIMPSON City Real Estate and Rentals Farm Land Sold Farm Loans Made V. SIMPSON, ...Builders 0f... Established 1855 DOORS SASH House Finish LATSCH 6 SO IMPORTERS AND WHOLESALE GROCERS 114, 116, 118, 120 and 122 EAST SECOND STREET Warehouses 54 to 62 West. Second Street* WINONA - - Mil Winona, Minn.