OCR Interpretation


The Saint Paul globe. (St. Paul, Minn.) 1896-1905, September 27, 1903, Image 22

Image and text provided by Minnesota Historical Society; Saint Paul, MN

Persistent link: https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn90059523/1903-09-27/ed-1/seq-22/

What is OCR?


Thumbnail for 20

20
Winona, the Beautiful "Gateway City" of piinnesota
LARGE MANUFACTURING INTERESTS
ARE CAUSING STEADY GROWTH
New Enterprises Have Appreciated t»he Facilities Offered
at* Winona—Excellent* Shipping Accommodations—
The Country Seat of Winona Country and a
Word as t»o Its History.
Among the many gems which adorn
Minnesota's diadem of beautiful towns
and cities, Winona, "Gateway City" of
the state, is among the most beautiful
and prosperous.
Nestled, like a jewel in its case, be
tween the towering bluffs of Wisconsin,
across the Mississippi, and the gently
rising hills which lie back of the city,
Winona —erstwhile yclept "Wapasha."
in the language of the Dacotahs, and
"Prairie aux Aile (Wing prairie) in
the Canadian vernacular of the early
explorers—offers a restful picture of
peace and beauty to the visitor not
easily forgotten, and the subtle charm
of semi-mystery which hangs over the
sad romance of Wee-no-nah, the beau
teous Indian maiden from whom the
city takes its name, seems more potent
when one has visited the scene of
"Lover's Leap" than ever before.
The legend connected with the fate
of Wee-no-nah is a sad one. It is
related that she loved and was beloved
by a young warrior, but when her lov
er sought to buy her as a wife, ac
cording to the customs of their race,
the father of the girl refused to lis
ten. He had himself picked out a hus
band for his Wee-no-nah, and would
have none other for son-in-law. Rath
er than submit to the forced marriage,
Wee-no-nah, seizing a favorable mo
ment, when none were near to pre
vent, leaped from the immense rock
now pointed out as "Lover's Leap,"
and with the name of her sweetheart
ringing from her lips, sank into the
raging waters of the Mississip.
In contrast to the turbulent rushing
of the "Fathers of Waters" on his way
to the ocean is the quiet repose of Lake
Winona, which lies to the south of the
city at the foot of the densely wooded
hills, above, which old Sugar Loaf
raises his iofty head full 600 feet. The
view from the hilltop drive is sur
passingly fine.
In the city proper boulevarded streets,
flanked on either side by beautiful
shade trees and well kept lawns, have
rendered possible the making of a
"city beautiful," and this surely has
been done to a very large extent.
What, some fifty years ago, was a
vast treeless plateau, is now a waving
grove of verdure, for scarce is there a
home in the city which is not sur
rounded with shade trees and a lawn
embellished by flowers, while the mu
nicipal authorities have seen to it that
the parks and public grounds are well
provided with the same beauty makers.
The Park System.
The park system of the city is noted
the country over, and represents an
outlay of $106,000. In each of the four
wards of the city is a little park—3oo
feet square—laid out with neatly grav
eled walks, broad lawns and well kept
flower beds. In addition to these is the
leve.^, or "Water Front park." This
"strip o' nature" embraces some seven
and one-half .acres of ground, and is an
attractive piece of landscape garden
ing, laid right at the water's edge. In
the Central park there has recently
been installed a beautiful fountain sur
mounted by a cleverly conceived
bronze statue of the Indian maiden
"Wee-no-nah." The fountain was a
gift to the city from Mr. W. J. Landon,
and bears the inscription in addition to
the title, "In Memory of Ida Cone Lan
don." It was erected by Mr. Landon
as a memorial to his wife.
Quite recently a large plat of ground
overlooking Lake Winona has been
purchased by the park board, who plan
the laying out of an extensive park
and drive.
First Settlers.
While the first habitation on the site
pf what is now Winona was erected
by the Rev. R. D. Stevens in 1836, it
was not until 1851 that any direct at-
THE UNION FIBRE GO
A New Enterprise Which Is
Meeting With Success.
tt , Httle more than a year ago the
Lnion Fibre company, a corporation
organized under the laws of the state
of New Jersey, established an exten
sive manufacturing business in the old
Harvester Works building. It is par
ticularly advantageous to this section
of the country, as it utilizes an im
mense amount of flax straw in the
manufacture of their insulating and
deafening materials.
One of the articles of their manufac
ture is known as the Kelly's flax fibre
floor deadener and building felt, and is
possibly the best material ever put on
the market for the deadening of sound
in the floors and walls of a building, as
„ well as a great non-conductor of heat
and cold.
It is said that a building can be made
50 per cent warmer by using this ma
terial instead of ordinary building pa
per. The difference in cost could be
saved in one winter in the amount of
fuel used. They are putting this prod
uct on the market at a very low figure
and it is in the reach of all classes of
builders.
They also manufacture a cold storage
insulation called Lith Board, that Is
unsurpassed for this class of work.
Scientific tests have proven that this
material is the best non-conductor of
heat and cold that has ever been put
on the market for insulating purposes.
They have recently closed some very
large contracts for cold storage insula-
# From every, indication the capacity
of the plant will haVe to be increased
within a short time. Any one who con
templates building will do well to cor
respond with the Union Fiber company,
of Winona, . Minn.,, for samples, and
»rices of their material.
tempt at a permanent settlement was
made. In that year Capt. Orrin Smith,
of the Galena & St. Paul Packet com
pany, foreseeing the possibilities of the
location, took up a section of land
which is now the business district. His
mate, Irwin H. Johnson (upon whom
he depended to hold the claim in his
absence), put up a "squatter's" shack
on the section, as he also did upon an
adjoining section (now lower-town),
which he took up in his own name.
Settlers came quite rapidly, but it
was not until 1857 .that the village was
incorporated, with M. Wheeler Ser
geant as the first mayor. Since that
time there have been nine incumbents
of the position, the present mayor be
ing L,. L. Brown (Democrat), who was
elected for the two-year term provided
by the town's charter, defeating his
Republican opponent, Mr. E. R. Tar
bell, a former mayor, by a narrow
majority, but slightly in ex
cess of fifty votes. Mr. Brown
is a successful attorney, who has re
sided In Winona nearly all his life. He
was born but a few miles from the city
proper, and received his education and
bringing up in Wtnona.
A Prosperous City.
The history of the city, from the
erection of the first "frame" dwelling
house by J. S. Denman at what is now
the corner of Lafayette and Second
streets, to the present day, has been
one of a steady growth and prosperity,
with hardly a setback of importance.
1 SIPS! R;V 9 fIHH 3 !
ZB% ■''•!' W'^'v^^l '':r' '
immiiiMiifcitr- w 1 ■
Statue of "Wee-no-nah" Which Adorns the Fountain In Central
Park.
The first railroad connection in the
West was made on Dec. 9, 1862, when
the Winona & St. Peter road was com
pleted from Winona to Stockton, a
distance of eleven miles—this being the
EMPIRE LUMBER CO
Thriving Concern Whose Wl
nona Interests Are Extensive.
One of the most important of the
industries which have assisted in the
upbuilding of Wlnona is that of lum
ber making, and the business of The
Empire Lumber company Is the out
growth of what is possibly the first es
tablished enterprise of its kind In the
city.
The Empire company, as it now is,
was incorporated in 1881. succeeding to
the established trade of Horton &
Hamilton, who commenced lumber
sawing at Winona in the early fifties.
The mills of the Empire company,
located in the westerly part of the
city, annually produce about 32,000.000
feet of lumber. The buildings and
yards occupy an area of about 30 acres
along the river front, and employment
is afforded fully 300 men in season.
The company secures its logs in
Northern Wisconsin and along the up
per Mississippi, maintaining its crews
in the woods during the winter.
In addition to its production of the
raw lumber, the company maintains a
factory for the manufacture of sash,
doors and interior finish. Its annual
output from this department is very
extensive, and is shipped all over the
Northwest.
The officers of the company are:
Charles Horton, president; G. W. Du
lany, vice president; W. P. Tearse. sec
retary and Rosco Horton treasurer.
THE ST. PAUI* GLOBE, SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 27, 1903.
0^ - SJ^s^BiiisMSSSfal^^P™^^s^^^^*'^ _+ «fik
Building of the Winona Seminary.
first railway constructed in Minnesota
west of the Mississippi. The first di
rect railway connection with Chicago
was made in 1864. At present there
are five railway line which enter the
city, viz.: The Chicago, Milwaukee &
St. Paul, Chicago, Burlington & Quin
cy, Chicago Great Western, Green Bay
& Western and the Chicago North
western. The latter road has within a
short time increased the size and use
fulness of its Winona shops, and it is
planned to make them second only in
size to the main shops of the railroad
at Chicago.
Has Many Interests.
Situate in the heart of an excep
tionally productive agricultural dis
trict, Winona is not only, rich in the
wealth of the products marketed there,
but has important manufacturing in
terests as well, the lines represented
embracing extensive lumber and flour
millls, wagon factories, carriage works
and cooper shops, packing houses,
foundries, fibre works, brick yards,
boot and shoe manufactories, harness
works, and others of which detailed
mention is Impossible here.
Surrounded as it is by any number
of small villages and towns, Its Jobbing
interests are not inconsiderable, and
the deposits of the banks, of which
there are five, as shown last year, $5,
--000,000, indicates that there must be
THEWINONASEEDGO
Well Established Concern Deal-
Ing in Wholesale and Retail.
Situated as Winona is in the heart of
a most productive agricultural district,
it is not surprising that a concern deal-
Ing in the seeds from whence the crops
are derived should enjoy a large and
lucrative business, and the Winona
Seed company is all that could be ex
pected of it.
The company carries a full line of
field, garden and flower seeds, and
deals as well in shrubbery, plants and
potatoes.
It was established as a co-partner
ship in 1895, and somewhat later was
incorporated under Minnesota laws,
with an authorized capital of $25,000.
The company occupies comfortable of
fices and salesrooms at 110 Center
street, and has three warehouses in the
city for the storage of its seeds and
products.
A specialty is made of caring for
mail orders, and the shipments to
Northwestern points, including North
Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin, lowa
and Minnesota annually reach a large
figure.
It deals in both a wholesale and re
tai| way, numbering among its cus
tomers many of the smaller seed deal
ers in its territory.
The officers of the company are A. R
Blair, president and treasurer; C. R.
Blair, vice ©resident, and R. S. Blair,
secretary.
wealth in the community. These fig
ures are for deposits alone, the loans
and discounts for the same period fig
uring $4,500,000 —substantial eviden
ces of general prosperity, it would seem.
With the excellent locations which
can be offered factories there, to
gether with the possibilities along the
line of economical operation, there is
small doubt that these Interests will
be largely increased within the near
future. The almost inexhaustible sup
plies in the way of hard wood and pine
for lumber which lie at the city's very
door almost, seemingly guarantee the
continuation for many years of the
lumber interests, and the refuse from
the mills offers a cheap solution of the
fuel question for factories.
Population, 22,000.
Conservatively figured, it is estimated
that there are ml Winona some 22,
--000 inhabitants. Considering this pop
ulation, it is rather more than a Bur
prise to find the exceptional retail bus
iness that exists, arid to note the ex
tensive and comprehensive establish
ments which are open for the accom
modation of the jiublic. There is small
need for trips to larger cities in making
a season's purchase, for the latest and
best of designs and styles in almost
every line of trade are to be found on
the shelves and tables of the up-to
date merchants of the city.
As evidence of the city's substantial
growth, it may be noted that within
the past two years, sixteen new manu
facturing enterprises with an aggre
gate capital of over $3,000,000 have lo
cated there. The location of the new
industries there, however, is hardly to
be wondered at, considering the ex
cellence of the facilities offered at that
point.
The aggregate capital invested in
Winona manufacturing enterprises is
now in excess of 519,000,000.
The School System.
With a keen foresight and true wis
dom, the people of Winona have pro
vided liberally for the education of
their young, the public school system
including seven grammar schools and
a high school, the total value of school
properties footing up $430,000. Of this
sum, a valuation of $80,000 is placed on
the high school building and grounds.
Beside the public schools, there are
located at Winona a number of paro
chial schools and private schools, as
well as the First 'state normal school, a
handsome brick structure situated in
the midst of beautiful and extensive
grounds. The building and grounds
are valued at something over $150,000.
The attendance last year at the normal
school was slightly in excess of 500,
that of the public schools 3,000, and at
the parochial and private schools pos
sibly half as many more. A complete
and up-to-date business college adds
the practical training desired for the
city's young:.
One of the sightly places of the city
is the young ladies' seminary, a board
ing school conducted by the Sisters of
St. Francis. The citizens' of Winona
take special pride in this institution,
which, with its handsome grounds and
substantial building, is well worth the
seeing.
The school comprises an elementary
and an academic department, a con
servatory of musician art department
and a departnvent'of expression. In
the academic department classical, sci
entific, English aSid- Commercial courses
are offered. The conservatory of mu
sic haa extensive aitd thorough courses
in instrumental an* vocal music. The
art department' gives instruction in
drawing, paintlftg :Suia china decorat
ing. The department of expression em
braces courses Ih elocution and physi
cal culture. The" seminary possesses a
fine gymnasium, Equipped with the
most approved apparatus and baths.
Courses in various' lines of domestic
science are alscr-given. The faculty is
large and efficient, and the attendance
is drawn from i the ibest classes of the
Northwest. 11
As an adjunct to (her schools the city
boasts a handsome''free public library
donated by Mr. W. H. Laird, one of the
R. D. CONE
COMPANY
Wholesale
Hardware, Iron
and
Wagdi Material
62-72 East* Second Street;
WiNONA, MINN.
city's public spirited residents. The
building? was erected at a cost of some
550,000, and with its books and furnish
ings, is carried on the city's balance
sheet at half as much more.
Winona i 3 headquarters for the Na
tional Educational association, its sec
retary. Prof. Irwin Shepard, former
president of the state normal school,
residing there.
The city boasts two daily papers,
the Evening Republican and Herold
and the Winona Independent, the for
mer a Republican paper, and the lat
ter an independent of Democratic
tendencies.
Of church organizations there are
four and twenty, with nearly as many
substantial houses of worship.
Public Improvements.
The most notable of the public build
ings are the court house, a fine gray
stone structure with brown sandstone
trimmings, completed at a cost of $125.
--000, and the building which serves the
government^ as postofflce and court
house. The latter edifice cost $180,000.
It is made of white Winona limestone
with Bedford trimmings, and is surely
a beautiful building. Probably also
worthy of special mention is the Gener
al hospital, a handsome building well
equipped for the useful position it fills.
In keeping with the modern progres
siveness displayed in other matters, the
streets In the business district are
paved with brick and are well lighted,
electricity being used in the down towja
districts, and gas in the residence por
tions. There are four miles of brick
paviQg, which cost $125,000, eighteen of
sewerage system, placed at an expense
of $170,000, and a waterworks system
(supplied largely from artesian wells)
which is valued at $350,000. A paid
fire department of thirty-one members,
with four companies, under the direc
tion of Chief Wise Norton, and an effi
cient and well managed police depart
ment under Chief L. Schoenig, afford
the city protection.
Several bridges span the Mississippi
at this point, the most notable of them
being the new high bridge, a steel
wagon bridge, costing $100,000 to erect,
and its approaches probably $25,000
more.
An electric street railway system
covers the town. The company oper
ates on single tracks, of which there
are about five miles at present.
Postoffice Business Grows.
The postoffice business at the Wi
nona office increased over fifty per cent
from 1&98 to 1903, this exclusive of the
money order department, the gross re
ceipts for 1902 being in round numbers
$45,000, while for the same period the
money order business aggregated $316,
--270. The office is a government depos
itory for postmasters' funds.
The principal municipal officers are:
Mayor, L. L. Brown; recorder, Paul
Kemp; treasurer, E. J. Fockens; attor
ney, W. A. Finkelnburg; engineer, G.
P. Coleman; health officer, Dr. E. D.
Keyes; municipal judge, W. J. Smith;
special judge, S. H. Somsen, and as
sessor, H. W. Posz. The board of al
dermen, consisting of two from each of
the four wards and one at large, is
made up as follows: President, Jas.
K. Simpson; vice president, M. Libera;
aldermen, A. B. Heim, Henry Hess, Ja
cob Michalowski, Wm. Miller, Wm. H.
Reuss, J. T. Rowan and L. C. Tarcas.
The city covers an area of about
eighteen square miles, and there are
in the neighborhood of 5,000 dwelling
houses in it.
A Board of Trade, composed of lead
ing business men of Winona, assists
in the promotion of the city's inter
ests, and the secretary of that body
is always glad to furnish any desired
information.
It is one of the semi-tragic incidents
of the city's history that Mr. Wm. Ash
ley Jones, editor of the Argus, the first
paper published at Winona, and the
man responsible for the Americanized
spellling of the Indian name, is now an
Inmate of the Home of the Little Sis
ters of the Poor in St. Paul, although
years ago he was a wealthy and influ
ential citizen of Winona
SCHROTH <& AHRENS CO.
WITH US MEANS
STRICTL V WHITE PINE
Bay State Milling
===== COMPANY
MILLERS OF HARD
SPRING WHEAT
DAILY CAPACITY 3,500 BBLS.
"Wingold Flour"
WINONA - MINNESOTA
Fourth Largest. Producers in the United States
Minnesota Harness
Factory
(Incorporated) ■ * • • * •
===== Manufacturers =====
HARNESS AND COLLARS
JOBBERS
SADDLERY HARDWARE
. WINONA, MINN. .
Winona Wagon Co.
Rushford and Winona
for careful, conservative farmers who
want to invest their money to the bsst ad
vantage. The RUSH FORD Wagon has been made
in Minnesota for 43 years and is well known as the
leading farm wagon of the Northwest. The WINONA
Is only a few years old but with Its Iron Clad Hubs
and Outer Bearing Axles has become very popular.
We shall be glad to mall circulars giving full dsscription to
prospective buyers.
Winona Wagon Company
WINONA. MINNESOTA
Laird, Norton Company
LUMBER
PINE
V. SIMPSON
City Real Estate and Rentals
Farm Land Sold
Farm Loans Made
V. SIMPSON,
...Builders 0f...
Established 1855
DOORS
SASH
House Finish
LATSCH 6 SO
IMPORTERS AND
WHOLESALE GROCERS
114, 116, 118, 120 and 122
EAST SECOND STREET
Warehouses 54 to 62 West. Second Street*
WINONA - - Mil
Winona, Minn.

xml | txt