OCR Interpretation


The Saint Paul globe. (St. Paul, Minn.) 1896-1905, January 10, 1904, Image 22

Image and text provided by Minnesota Historical Society; Saint Paul, MN

Persistent link: https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn90059523/1904-01-10/ed-1/seq-22/

What is OCR?


Thumbnail for 22

22
PROTESTANT ORPHAN ASYLUM, A HOUSE OF HOPE FOR MOTHERS
PIERE ARE, perhaps, no two char
itable organizations in the city
that are exactly alike. Each supplies
one of the needs of the community and
these needs, of course, are many and
diverse.
The big red brick building which
stands at the coiner of Marshall ave
nue and St. Albans street, and which
Is known as the Protestant Orphan
asylum, might with equal appropriate
ness be called a "house of hope for
mothers," for it is that as much as it
Is an asylum. Mothers or fathers who
are unable, temporarily, to care for
their little ones, leave them here for
awhile, and not only are the children
well cared for, but all connected with
the asylum do what they can to help
the parents to obtain employment- so
that the home will not be broken up.
Sometimes the children stay in the
asylum for only a few months, some
times they remain for several years,
but it is the purpose and the desire
of those in charge to make the parents
feel responsible always and to
strengthen rather than weaken the tie
between them and the children for
whose welfare they are responsible.
The St. Paul Protestant Orphan
asylum is one of the oldest institutions
of the kind in the city. Its beginning
was also the beginning of St. Luke's
hospital, for about forty years ago
Episcopalian women tried the experi
ment of combining a temporary asylum
for children with a hospital. Later it
was found expedient to separate the
two institutions and the result was St.
Luke's hospital and the Protestant Or
phan asylum.
Incorporated in 1865.
The latter was incorporated as a
non-sectarian institution In 1865, and
the children were housed In the Frank
lyn house, the old yellow tavern which
stood at the corner of Western ave
nue and Marshal] avenue. The asylum
Btill owns this property.
Mrs. Walter Webb was the first
president. She, with the other mem
bers of the board, worked zealously for
the asylum's advancement. It was
supported by fairs and entertainments
until 1879, and after that by private
TIME FOR STUDY AS WELL AS FOR PLAY
HBL-"'.^^B '' v VMF '■'■ »'-'- -'■''-'■'■■ ':':^'fi^^^''fl| ■" '-■ ■ ' -
The Children Are Given the Same Instruction as In the Public School.
r wnii*<nip~'nfi pi" ii pur-lam•MiwtirrTrM'riirnniir^mTAi— ttinVmr— - ■■. -. ----_... ■-.-._-...*-/>*■" "
The Children Are Given the Same Instruction as In the Public School.
THE NATIONAL GUARD
The annual meeting of the Interstate
National Guard association will be held
this year at St. Augustine, Fla., on Jan.
25, and Brig. Gen. Joseph Bobleter, New
Ulm, will represent this state.
Minnesota has been one of the most ac
tive states in the reorganization and push
of this association for the past few years,
and for three years has sent three dele
gates. In payment for Its faithfulness it
has been rewarded by having been
eliminated entirely from the list of twenty
appointive offices, including twelve vice
presidents. Wisconsin, whose adjutant
general and state forces have system
atically discouraged the movement up
to the last session has been allotted one
of the vice presidents.
The reasons of the ignoring of Minne
sota by Gen. CRarles Dick, president and
Col. C. E. Blyer, secretary, are very ap
parent to those familiar with the situa
tion. As politicians and manipulators of
national legislation, the executive commit
tee of the Minnesota National guard
proved their worth two years ago to such
an extent that they succeeded in amend
ing the famous Dick bill so that it took
the control of the national guard out of
the hands of the secretary of war.
The officers named proved themselves
traitors to the best interests of the na
tional guard by allowing the substitution
and changes of sections which had been
passed by the association in convention.
The eagle eye of Maj. George C. Lam
bert ferreted out the woodchucks and dis
crepancies, and, as chairman of the Mm
ANNUAL SALE-TEN MILLION BOXES
Greatest in the World
A MILLION GRANDMAS a» over America point to CASC ARETS Candy Cathartic
as the most perfect family medicine ever discovered. Good, kind, tender-hearted
old soul—grandma tries to help others by telling of the good things she has learned
through experience, and so the sale of OASCARETS is OVER A MILLION BOXES
A MONTH. Years of experience with her own health, and grandpa's and her
children's, and her children's children's have taught grandma that OASCARETS
Candy Catnartfc are the only perfect medicine for all bowel troubles, children's
diseases, diseases of the stomach and liver, sick headaches, biliousness, and bad
blood. Best for the bowels. All druggists, 10c, 26c, 60c. Never sold In bulk.
The genuine tablet stamped COO. Sample and booklet free.
Address Sterling Remedy Co.. Chicago or New York. 616
subscription. Since '79 the board has
permitted no soliciting or collecting to
be done for the institution by outside
people. In 1872 the asylum moved out
on a farm at Fort Snelling and re
mained there until 1885.
In that year Justus C. Ramsey gave
$10,000 to the board, so it determined
to sell the farm and with the proceeds
from the sale and Mr. Ramsey's dona
tion to build a home in the city. The
present building, at the corner of Mar
shall avenue and St. Albans street,
was erected, and as soon as it was
completed the asylum moved in from
the farm.
Mrs. E. F. Drake was an active mem
ber of the board of managers for the
first twenty-five years of the asylum's
existence. These were the hardest
years, and the institution undoubtedly
owes its present prosperity in a great
measure to Mrs. Drake's unfailing zeal.
For nineteen years she served as
treasurer. After her death, her daugh
ters, Mrs. W. H. Lightner and Mrs.
H. T. Drake, became members of the
board. Mrs. George B. Young in later
years became prominently identified
with the asylum. She was president
for thirteen years. Following Mrs.
Young, Mrs. E. H. Bailey served as
president for two years. Then other
demands on her time compelled her
also to resign, and since then Mrs. C.
H. Bigelow has been the acting presi
dent. Mrs. Bailey is still a member
of the board.
Hospital Is Added.
In 1890 a detached hospital was
built on the asylum grounds, for con
tagious diseases. This hospital, which
faces on St. Albans street, is divided
into four wards', and is fitted up with
all necessary conveniences. Fortu
nately the asylum has not been called
upon to use it many times, for the chil
dren are exceptionally healthy. Miss
Hannah M. Weinzierl, the matron, be
lieves in the ounce of prevention, and
the bright, happy and well cared for
appearance of the little ones is an evi
dence of her careful oversight. The
children sleep in sunny and well ven
tilated dormitories, the girls on the
second floor, the bofs on the third.
The little iron cots are covered with
white spreads, and everything about
the Institution from sleeping rooms to
kitchen is scrupulously clean.
Just recently a kindergarten has
been opened in the asylum. About
fourteen little tots gather every morn-
nesota executive board, he called a meet
ing of that body and laid the matter open.
A circular letter was immediately drawn
up, citing each change from the original
bill and explaining what the loss would
be to the national guard'if congress passed
the bill. Copies of this letter were sent to
every adjutant general, United States
senator, and to Gen. Dick and
Col. Bleyer. The last two failed to
acknowledge receipt of the letters.
The letter only asked for an amend
ment to the famous section 24, which was
substituted at the suggestion of the war
department, but the ire of the Southern
senators became aroused and the entire
objectionable section was stricken out,
and the bill practically adopted at the
convention was passed by congress.
Had not Maj. Lambert and Minnesota's
executive committee acted hurriedly the
bill, as arranged, would have passed and
the national guard would now have been
subject to the regulations and discipline
(Including the articles of war) governing
the regular army. The letter ended with
an appeal to Gen.Dick, as president of the
association, to "voice our protest against
ihis radical change from the text of sec
tion 8 of the Dick bill, submitted to the
convention of the war department,
adopted by the association and approved
by the president of the United States in
the presence of delegates from every
state, and procure the original provision."
Maj. Lambert has on file In his office
letters from almost every state congratu
lating our state committee and promis
ing support. Consequently our delegates
THE ST. PAUL GLOBE. SUNDAY, JANUARY 10, 1904.
I-■■ ■■•.-.■'.... '..■••• :-:x:- -;.;: ■-.■-■■.. :■ :>■"•?•■ y/y" [-■■''■■■■■ ■-- ~
\
Well Appointed Building in Which Littie Ones Whose Parents Are Unable to Care for Them
Are Given a Home.
ing about the low kindergarten table
and learn the games that instruct as
well as amuse. Potted plants, bright
colored pictures on the wall and large
windows that let in a flood of sun
shine make this kindergarten room ex
do not feel the sting that has been intend
ed for them.
Minnesota will also have able represen
tation at the coming meeting in Gen.
Bobleter.
Company C Election.
The. election of a-second lieutenant In
Company C. First infantry, last Monday
evening passed off very nicely and Ser
geant A. E. Clark Jr., was elected to the
vacancy on the first ballot. Lieut. Col. P.
T. Corriston. Minneapolis, presided at the
meeting and spoke encouraging words to
the boys. Lieut. Clark was serving his
second enlistment and was second duty
sergeant. He takes a great interest in
riffle practice and has been the only mem
ber of the guard from St. Paul in the
last four years to serve on the state rifle
team. He is one of the few men in the
state who can be relied on when he takes
up the gun to make a score. He made the
high average for the Minnesota team in
the late interstate competition for the
Washburn trophy and being the last man
to fire for Minnesota in the competition,
it was his wonderful score that took Min
nesota from third place and put her sec
ond in the contest.
Too much encouragement cannot "be
held out to those who take an interest
in riffle practice, annd the choice of Com
pany C, is a popular one, and was made
unanimous by the other candidates.
Tactical Board.
Capt. W. C. Montgomery, Company E,
First infantry, has been detailed as a
member of the tactical board of the First
infantry to succeed Maj. Rowley, pro
moted. This board, while its duties are
important, has not been called on so far
to settle any dispute concerning tactics.
It has been suggested and will probably
be carried out that an order be Issued
setting regular times for the board to
PROTESTANT ORPHAN ASYLUM
* «*
ceedingly attractive. This kindergar
ten is an innovation at the asylum,
but it will hereafter be a regular fea
ture.
School for the older children is held
every day during the school year. The
children rise at a quarter of 6 in the
morning-'' and arrange the dormitory
for a thorough airing. Then they
march to the play room and remain
there until a quarter of 7, when the
first bell is rung and the beds are
made. Five minutes of 7 the warning
bell is rung, and the children march
to the dining room for breakfast.
Menus Are Varied.
Miss Weinzierl arranges the menus
so that the Monday menus differ from
Tuesday's and the Tuesday's from
Wednesday, etc. A variety of well
cooked and appetizing food is served.
There are five tables in the dining
room. The matron presides over one
and the teachers and nurse at the
others. At half past 7 the children ad
journ to what is known as the "prayer
room," for It is used for morning de
votionals. This room is on the first
floor of the home, "and it is here that
the Christmas exercises are held each
year.
Potted plants, cushioned window
seats and a large bookcase filled with
interesting children's books are part of
the attractions of this room. This
bookcase represents the nucleus of a
library to which the board hopes to
add in the near future. Especially in
teresting Christmas exercises were held
this year at the asylum and it was only
late last week that the prettily decor
ted tree was taken down.
After the morning gathering In the
prayer room, the children play or per
form little tasks about the house. At
9 o'clock school is called and the
morning session lasts until noon. The
afternoon session begins at 2 oclock and
the children are again dismissed at 4
o'clock. If the weather permits it they
play for awhile outdoors at the noon
hour. Miss Weinzierl is a firm believ
er in outdoor exercises and it is only
in very cold, stormy weather that the
children forego their out-of-door exer
cise.
Asylum Has Fine Playground.
Even the littlest girl at the asylum—
she is only two years old—will tell you
that she likes summer time best. For
there is a fine playground for the chil
dren on the asylum grounds and as
LIEUT. ARTHUR E. CLARK JR.
LIEUT. ARTHUR E. CLARK JR.
Elected Second Lieutenant of Company
C, First Infantry, N. G. S. M., to Suc
ceed Fred C. Robinson, Who Resign
ed. Lieut. Clark Is One of the Best
Marksmen in the State Guard.
meet, and ask all companies wherein dis
pute may originate to lay the matter be
fore the board. The idea of this is to se
cure a uniformity of drill in the regiment.
The decision, as soon as made, will be
published and a copy sent to each com
pany.
Capt. J. F. Snow, Company E, First
infantry, has announced the following
promotions: Corporal J. J. Ermatinger to
be sergeant, Privates W. F. Kern and
L. V. Eddy to be corporals, and Private
M. W. Zeno to be artificer.
The past week has shown a revival of
interest in the local companies, all re
suming drill, after a two weeks' holiday
rest. Good attendances were noted and
captains are more than pleased the way
the boys turn out, considering the sur
roundings.
Maj. E. H. Whitcomb, assistant sur
geon general, has made requisition for a
Krag rifle, and expects to get in the
game early with the new gun. Maj. Whit
comb takes a great interest in rifle prac
tice and is one of the best shots in the
state. He was for several years a mem
ber of the state team.
Capt. F. O. Ormond, Company F, Sec
ond regiment, Rochester, was one of the
first officers to arrive for the convention,
coming in on 'Wednesday.
Capt. H. L. Tourtellotte. Company E,
Third infantry, who has been ill for sev
eral weeks is now able to be around
again.
Capt. J. McKee Heffner, an old St.
Paul boy, who served with Company C,
Thirteenth infantry, Minnesota volun
teers, and who is now commanding Com
pany F, Third regiment, of Brainerd, has
been visiting with friends here during the
past week.
Company E, First Infantry.
Corporal Harry Yin Keuren has been
soon as the weather permits swings
are put up there each year. Moreover,
the asylum owns a number of outdoor
games, which help to make time pass
quickly for the little boys and girls
who live there.
BJBBffIMP I.' '" ' " """ " ' ' ''
"*■--■<- « luBB" WHmnmiiiiifttiiLip W! «1N :^ BiH flBSBflBl
'"K'^i JbPJßt'*'tflffw• ">iß^fl'"
A Portion of Each Day Is Given Up to Indoor Diversion.
appointed sergeant to fill the vacancy
caused by the discharge of Sergeant Slo
cum. Private Godfrey Graham has been
appointed corporal to fill the vacancy
caused by the promotion of Van Keuren.
Next Tuesday evening, Jan. 12. this
company will hold its annual meeting. In
connection with other business, a new
secretary and treasurer wiill be elected.
Corpora] Raymond H. Kopp, who has
been spending two months at Lake Ben
ton. Minn., returned to the city during
the holidays and has reported for duty.
NEW HSAD OF ARMY
TAKES HIS POST
Secretary of War Eulogizes Gen.Young,
the Retiring Commander.
TOPEKA, Kan., Jan. 9.—Blanche
Boies, a follower of Carrie Nation, to
day with an<ax smashed the large pic
ture of "Custer's Last Charge" hanging
In the historical room of the state cap
itol. Her objection was that under
neath the picture was a line explain
ing that the painting had been donated
by a St. Louis beer firm. Miss Boies
was arrested and taken to jail. Dr.
Eva Harding, a local crusader, furnish
ed bail. Miss Boies is out on bond now
for smashing several saloon windows
in Topeka some time ago, for which
she was given a jail sentence.
After reviewing Gen. Young's serv
ices In the Civil and Indians wars, Sec
retary Root says:
"He is especially to be distinguished
and is worthy of emulation by the offi
cers who come after him for the una
bated energy and zeal, unselfish de
votion to duty and generous enthusi
asm for the good of the army and the
public interest, which have marked the
concluding years of his active service.
He commanded a brigade with distinc
tion in the Santiago campaign and
won the fight at Las Guasimas on the
24th of June, 1898. With great vigor
and skill, at the close of his sixtieth
year, in December, 1899, he command
ed the cavalry advance of Lawton's di
vision on Its march throughout North
ern Luzon, which formed the most
Important part of the military opera
tions that destroyed the government of
Aguinaldo and established American
■control In the Philippines. He was
vigilant and active as military govern
or" of Northwestern Luzon and as com
mander of the department of Califor
nia, successively.
"In 1902, at an age when many offi
cers seek the repose and dignity of
high station rather than the trouble
and effort of new and unaccustomed
duties, he undertook the difficult and
trying task of the first president 01
the army war college board, devoted
himself assidiously to the work of
army organization, and became, not
merely by seniority, but by merit, the
But summer means more than this
to the older boys and girls, for each one
Is allowed to have a vegetable bed of
his own to care for. The asylum has a
flourishing small fruit garden and for
several seasons now has had berries
from its own bushes. The children's
gardens are by no means haphazard
affairs. The children are taught care
fully how to take care of the seeds they
plant and for the plants when they be
gin to show above the ground. Occa
sionally, to be sure, a curious little girl
or little boy has dug up the seeds "just
to see how they were doing," but the
majority manfully resist such tempta
tion and the seed sprouts, the plant
flourishes and the little gardener has
the satisfaction of gathering the veg
etables himself.
The course of study at the asylum
corresponds closely with that in the
public schools for children of the same
age. No fads are taught, but the chil
dren receive the beginnings, at least,
of education that fits them to become
useful members of society. Sewing is
taught and both boys and girls are in
structed to be neat and orderly both in
their work and in their play. Uniforms
are not worn. The girls wear long
sleeved gingham aprons over their
dresses, and this in the nearest ap
proach to a uniform that is seen in the
institution.
Parents Are Benefited.
A day or even an afternoon spent in
the asylum cannot fail to impress upon
the visitor the fact that it is not only
those who are cared for in the insti
tution that are benefited by it. Par
ents of the children go there for advice
or to report progress. Not a day
passes but what the kindly and help
ful woman in charge of the asylum is
called upon to listen to some sorrow
ful tale told by a forlorn mother or
a distraught father. Fortunately, to m
relieve the somberness of these stories
there are frequently cheerful ones
heard of reunited families, of health
and prosperity that have come to those
who have suffered long from the "slings
and arrows of outrageous fortune."
Best of all, the matron is frequently
able to rejoice over the reformation
of some member of the family, whose
wrongdoing has handicapped the
others.
The Protestant Orphan asylum cares
for between forty and fifty children
IN THE PLAY ROOM
first chief of staff and lieutenant gen
eral of the reorganized army. He goes
into retirement with the respect and
esteem of all his associates. There can
be no better wish for the army in the
future than its officers shall remember
how distinction and the highest rank
have come to this officer, not as the
result of self-soeMng or political or so
cial influence, but as the result of duty
well done, a high standard of honor,
sane and kindly judgment and un
selfish loyalty to his commander-in
How could It
be otherwise?
Think of its terminals —SAINT Paul
at one end; SAINT Louis at the other.
How could the Rock Island be otherwise
than a good line?
It is. It's more. .Between the Twin
Cities and St. Louis, it's the best; best
because shortest—finest cars — most solid
track—largest towns and most interesting
scenery.
St. Louis Express leaves Minneapolis
(Milwaukee Depot) 7.00' p.m., St. Paul
(Union Depot) 7J5 p. m. Arrives St. Louis
2.10 p. m., next day.
Through sleeping and chair cars.
MINNEAPOLIS TICKET OFFICE,
322 Nicollet Aye.,
W. L. HATHAWAY, City Passenger Agent.
■"" •-^CffSjiri"'' " ST* PAUL TICKET OFFICE,
6th and Robert Sts.,
§lUl^!iKK'lillß P" W> SAINT ' Cit>' Passenger Agent.
ifliCvJOl [t\\\ ]|L\ F« D. LYON, District Pass'r Agt.
|fjjj]r>" '^iK*Hi^J MINNEAPOLIS.
each year. When application is made
for the admission of a child Secre
tary Gutridge, of the associated chari
ties, investigates the case and makea
his report to the board. The state
cares for orphans and for defective
children, so the asylum does not min
ister to either of these classes. It is
a temporary home for those who have
either a mother or father, or both par
ents, living, but not able to support
them. In most cases a nominal sum
is paid for the support of the chil
dren, for the board realizes that it is
most unwise to allow a parent to re
linquish all hold on a child. The ma
jority, indeed, are grateful for the priv
ilege. No children are permitted to be
adopted from the institution.
Has Many Little Luxuries.
The asylum has a number of friends
and it is through the kindness of these
that so many little luxuries are to be
found in the institution. There is a
good piano in the prayer room, a well
built bookcase, cushioned window seats
and some well selected picture?. The
older children are allowed to use this
room for a reading room, and the south
end of ft is a most attractive study.
The dormitories, three in number, are
furnished with little iron cots, and
opening off of each is a good sized
bathroom.
The dormitory for the babies—those
who are two years old or a little older
—is the sunniest room in the building:.
At 6 oclock sharp the little ones are
tucked away in the little cots, so that
when the rising bell rings at 5:45 the
next morning it is no hardship for even
the youngest to get up. All its friends
remembered the institution this year
with Christmas gifts, and there were
not only dolls enough for each little
girl, but there were several left over.
The board of managers of the Prot
estant Orphan asylum includes the fol
lowing women: Mrs. E. H. Bailey, Mrs.
Charles H. Bigelow, Mrs. T. C. Field.
Mrs. E. A. Stedman, Mrs. Edward P.
Sanborn, Mrs. W. F. Mason, Mrs.
Charles H. Clark, Mrs. W. D. Kirk, Mrs.
George Hamilton, Mrs. H. T. Drake,
Mrs. J. W. Bdgerton, Mrs. Burnslde
Foster, Mrs. J. M. Hannaford, Mrs. T.
C. Jones, Mrs. W. H. Lightner, Mrs. C.
J. A. Morris, Mrs. W. F. Peet, Mrs. F.
P. Shepard, Mrs. Charles L. Spencer,
Mrs. George Thompson, Mrs. F. \V. Van
Slyke and Miss Norrise.
chief, to the army and to the country
which he has served."
Bishop Morrison Wanted Elsewhere.
OGDENSBURG, N. V., Jan. 9.—lt ia
announced that the Ogdensburg dele
gate to the coming convention to name
a coadjutor to Bishop William Crofl
well Doane, of Albany, will present the
name of James Dow Morrison, bishop,
of Duluth.

xml | txt