OCR Interpretation


The mirror. (Stillwater, Minn.) 1894-1925, February 13, 1913, Image 1

Image and text provided by Minnesota Historical Society; Saint Paul, MN

Persistent link: https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn90060762/1913-02-13/ed-1/seq-1/

What is OCR?


Thumbnail for

Vol. XXVI—No. 28
Old Montreal
Johnnie Canuck.
Paper read before the Chautauqua Circle:
Come with me for a® imaginary
afternoon ramble up the side of
Mount Royal, that lofty tree covered
eminence, overlooking the city of
Montreal, Canada’s largest metrop
olis.
Leaving tire city proper we im
mediately find. ourselves on a well
made and much traveled thorough
fare, lined thickly on either side by
trees, winding in and out among
rocks and hills, yet always climbing
upward. Every little ways we will
find springs bubbling up from the
side of the mountain and as the
ascent in some places is quite steep,
we are glad to pause a moment and
quench our thirst at one of these.
Then on again we follow our wind
ing pathway until, wh'en we are
quite exhausted, the trees in front of
ug suddenly disappear, and we find
ourselves amply repaid for our toil
some olimb by the magnificent pan
orama of river and mountain scenery
before us, and the view of the entire
city in perspective seemingly at our
feet. We are now on the spot his
tory tells us where Jacques Cartier
and Charriplain both had their first
view of the great new w r orld to the
West.
In front as far as the eye can
reach to right and left the sparkling
waters of the St. Lawrence are to be
seen —a throbbing artery of inland
commerce, dotted with shipping. In
front lie mile after mile of fertile
field and woods while the back
ground is made up of mountain
ranges, the nothermost of which are in
Canada while dimly outlined on the
southeasterly horizon are the peaks
of the Green Mountains of Vermont.
This certainly must have been
a wonderful view for Cartier, al
though it is said that from it he
received one of his bitterest disap
pointments, for his main idea in his
voyages, thus far, had been to find
a waterway to the Indies, and instead
of seeing open water ahead of him
he beheld a series of mountain
ranges, showing the entire futility of
his hopes. However the -nearer
view he had was entirely different
from what ours is today; then there
was only a small Indian village at
the foot of the mountain, surrounded
by fields of maize, beans and mel
lons, while to-day we overlook a
city of nearly half a million people
and the greatest business center in
Canada.
On our right, branching off from
the St. Lawrence, we can see the
river Ottawa and following its
course upstream with the eye we see
the old town of Dixie, Yandreuil
and St. Annes de Beaupre, to the
last of which annual pilgrimages are
made from all parts of Canada for
worship at its most sacred shrine.
Montreal has been called by some
writers “The White City of Canada,”
by others “The City of Churches.”
Either title seems fully justified by
our view. The former because of
the great amount of light grey lime
stone used in the construction of its
buildings and the latter because of
the great number of church spires
in sight. If the city had no other
points of interest its churches alone
would insure it more than passing
notice.
ij % imiipi&i
. EDITED AND PUBLISHED WEEKLY BY THE INMATES OF THE MINNESOTA STATE PRISON
Among the many visible from our
viewpoint I \yish to call your atten
tion to two or three in particular.
Looking directly in front of us about
the centre of the city we see the
great gilded dome of St. James
Cathedral, surrounded by the stat
ues of the twelve apostles. This
church is an exact model of old St.
Peters at Rome, and, although not
yet complete, Las already cost over
13,000,000. A few blocks to the left
of this is St. James Methodist, the
finest Protestant church in Canada.
Looking directly over this down
nearer the centre of the old town,
we see the twin towers of Notre
Dame Cathedral rising to a height of
220 feet. The left boasting a set of
chimes second to none in the north
land and the right the great bell
“Gras Bourbons.” This bell is the
third largest in the world, weighing
24,780 pounds and requiring the
combined strength of twenty men to
ring it. It is only rung on great
occasions, such as the declaration of
war or peace, or on the death of a
Pope. With the exception of the
cathedral built on the site of the old
Aztec Pyramids of Mexico this is the
largest edifice in America dedicated
to Divine worship and with its three
galleries has a seating capacity of
over 25,000 people.
Looking beyond this structure to
the river we see on its farther side
Helen’s Isle, one of the most favored
of the many picturesque Isles of the
St. Lawrence. Its name perpet
uates that of Champlain’s young
wife to whom the island once belong
ed. It is now a much sought pleas
ure resort, but in former years it
was a French military station. And
here it was that De Leuis, the last
commander of the French Army in
Canada, retired and burned his col
ors in the presence of his soldiers,
and then beneath the shade of a
weeping elm signed the articles of
capitulation whereby France gave
up all claim to the new world.
It was these pathetic incidents that
inspired ode of Canada’s favorite
poets to write “All Lost but Honor.”
Following the course of the river
upstream with the eye we see the
Victoria bridge spanning the St.
Lawrence. This bridge was first
built in 1860 and as the river here
is over two miles wide it was at that
date considered one of the great
engineering feats of the day. It
was first built by the Grand‘Trunk
Railway at a cost of over 7,000,000.
Farther up the river is the little
village of Lachine, once the. home
of La Salle and many times the
scene of stirring conflicts with the
Indians.
Looking back over the ciiy again
we cannot fail to notice the large
number of beautiful shade trees lin
ing all the residential streets, and
the various small parks or public
squares dotting the thickly settled
down-town districts, each one of
which commemorates some historical
event. One of these “The Place
Des Aimes” situated directly in front
of the Notre Dame Cathedral is of
special note. Surrounded on three
by tall office buildings and
within a stones throw almost of the
heart of the citie’s business life, it is
indeed restful to find a cool shady
nook where one can, for a few mo
ments at least, forget his business
cares. In the centre of this square
STILLWATER. MINNESOTA, THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 13, 1913.
XT IS meVcr too late to mend.
surrounded by fountains is a
monument to MaiSbnneuve the first
Governor of Montreal, with his fig
ure on* top, in full military v attire,
the one hand grasping his sword
hilt and the other holding aloft the
“Fleur de Lis.” On each corner of
the base are respectively, an Indian
in war attire, a scout with his long
rifie in his hand and his faithful dog
Pilote by his side, a French soldier
and a woman with her babe in her
arms. Thus is depicted the four
types of inhabitants of the country
at that time. The redskin, the
soldier, the scout and the settler.
The monument was designed and
executed bjr Louis Hubert, the
sculptor, and is considered to be
truly a work of art. On one corner
of this square is a marble tablet
marking the spot where, in one of
the hottest encounters with the red
skins, Maisonneuve, at a time when
defeat and torture stared lit
tle colony in the face, with his own
hand slew the Indian chief, and by
so doing entirely discomfited his
followers and so snatched victory
from defeat*
A few blocks to the left of this
we see Jacques Cartier square, with
its lofty monument to-Admiral Lord
Nelson. As this is in an entirely j
French section it shows how fully
the descendents of two nations have
been united in one, when the French
Canadians erect a monument to one
of her mother country’s one time
most hated foes. This square is
used as a market place and Tuesdays
and Fridays one finds it lined with
farmers from the surrounding
country offering the various products
of farm and home* for sale. Here,
even at this late date one finds home
knit socks and mittens in profuse
colorings offered for sale by the
thrifty housewife, and occasionally
one will yet see home spun cloth.
Maple sugar and syrup are always
offered in abundance as is also home
grown tobacco.
Directly on the left of this square
we see the old Chateau De Ilamsay,
one of the oldest public buildings in
America. It was built in 1705 in
the reign of Louis XIV by Claude
De Ramsay, the eleventh Governor
of Montreal. In this building have
gathered many an illustrious assem
bly, consisting not only of the Gov
ernor and Intendant and their suites,
but the leading military and polit
ical spirits of the day. Here were
held the councils of war, here were
considered the terml of peace, here
many of the earlier explorers, in
cluding Father Hennep Joilet,
Marquette, La Salle and 1 uluth, bid
farewell to their friends and patrons
before starting out on t voyages
of discovery, or on the]* issionary
journeys. Here came J • Indian
with his greivance, tl voyageur
with his complaint. de and
peasant, rich and poor i met with
the same genial treat! t at the
hand of the noble De nsav and
his family. After the surrender of
Canada by France to England in
1760, the Chateau became the resi
dence of the Lieutenant Governor
and it was here that the American
Commander, Montgomery, made his
headquarters, wh&n he captured
*Montreal in our first war with Eng
land. To this old Chateau came the
American Commissioners sent to
negotiate terms of compromise with
the Canadians. Among them was
Benjamin Franklin and with him
came Fleury Mesplet.aprinter.
There being no printing establish
ment in Montreal Mesplet set up his
cases and hand-press in the base
ment of the Chateau and when the
commissioners returned to their
home, he remained and issued a
weekly newspaper called the Gazette
which is still published, the oldest
newspaper in Canada. Since then
the Chateau has served as a Council
a normal school, a medi
cal school, and a court house.
However, in 1903 it was purchased
by a historical society which turned it
into a museum which to day has
on exhibition one of the finest col
lections of historical works, portraits
of noted individuals and historical
relics on the continent.
There are scores of other inter
esting points which we can see but
time will only permit us a glance at
them.
Down by the water’s edge is a
stone marking the spot where Cartier
landed in 1535. On'the corner of
the present Custom house is a tablet,
marking the spot where Champlain
established a trading post in 1611. A
little to the right is a stone designat
ing the place where stood the house
in which La Salle lived before start
ing out to discover the Mississippi.
Nearby another marks the home of
Sir Dulhut, or Duluth, after whom
our city at the head of the Lakes is
named. On Notre Dame street a
few blocks to the left, is another
which tells its own story; it reads:'
“In 1694 here stood the house of
La Mothe, the founder of Detroit.”
And near by at one time was the
home of Father Hennepin, with
whose name you are all famil
iar. As time will not permit us to
tarry, we will follow our pathway
around the brow of the mountain,
past the spot where Champlain on
his first visit placed a large Latin
Cross in honor of his God. A few
minutes walking will bring us to the
eastern side of the mountain over
looking Outremond, or East Mont
real, here we find an incline railway
running down the mountain side.
Decending on this we find the
street cars ready to take us back
dowD town.
Montreal, the Queenly Maid of
the St. Lawrence, has a brilliant
future before her. Situated as it is
midway between the Atlantic and
the great Central West, with its e/er
increasing centres of population, it
will continue to grow, to prosper,
and to rule the progress of Canada.
Scientific
Management.
W. S.
(New Prison)
Ordinarily we do not associate
science with the handling of pig iron
—one of the elementary forms of
manual labor —or with the shovel
ing of coal and ore. Yet laborers
who have been accustomed to hand
ling 12 tons of pig iron per day, in
creased this amount to 47 tons when
instructed by men who have studied
the matter.
The operation of brick-laying
apparently gives no opportunity for
increasing the performance by
scientific investigation, or from cas-
T „ u# .) sl.ooa Year
TERMS:! Months Fifty Cts.
ual consideration is the process of
folding: and sealing: letters more
promising:- But science applied to
brick-laying: resulted in the laying:
of 350 bricks per hour by men who
previously averaged 125. Letters
made ready for the mail when fold
ing: sealing: and stamping: were done
in a way made standard, after study
ing: worker’s motions and arrange
ments of materials, was about four
times as great as when each individ
ual was allowed to do the work in a
manner chosen by himself.
The illustrations are mentioned
because of the simplicity and absence
of machines, which introduce vari
ables. Equally good and usually
better results follow the application
of scientific investigation to intricate
classes of work.
Suppose an itelligenl man or
woman studies his machine, ana
lyzes his motions, uses his time to
the best advantage, both his work
ing: and rest periods and thereby
finds the best way of doing: his work.
Such a person is scientific, apply
ing the science of production, but he
or she is an individual, not an
organization, therefore the term
‘‘management” cannot be used.
But suppose the executive or organ
ization of a company follows the
policy of studying the laws which
govern production, and determine
for every operation, that combin
ation of men, motions, mateiials and
tools which turn out. the work in the
mo s t economical way; in other
words, applies the science of pro
duction. Such a use of the science
of production is called Scientific
Management.
In some industries, in years gone
by, the work was done by what is
known as the piece-work system:
that is; the men were paid by the
piece, not by the day or by the hour.
The workmen did not strive very
hard to do as much as they could
and so increase their earnings, for
under this system the management
had a habit of reducing the piece
rate as soon as the man began to
make much money. Often times
workmen planned how fast each job
should be done and it is safe to say
there was method in the work in
accordance to human nature. But
the trouble was in the system of
management, we can readily real
ize. To apply scientific rnanag
ment the first object to bring atten
tion would be to make the interests
of men and inter-de
pendent and to arrange so the w’ork
men would benefit from a greater
production.' This accomplished and
you are ready to experiment with
various kinds of work, also to the
finding of some law r or~ rule which
governs physical labor whereby a
.foreman could know in advance how
much physical labor a man can
stand.
! v> b
These studies carried out with
stop watch and measuring stick
show, among other things, that a
workman should be applied or un
der load only a certain percentage
of the time, (depending upon the
work,) and should be free from
application or load part of the time.
But gathering data on production
leads from one thing to another;
every development poi nt s to the
necessity of a revolutionary change
in management, a change to a system
Continued on 4th page

xml | txt