Newspaper Page Text
Need for Orphanage.
As the city grew new problems arose. Need for a Catholic orphanage began to be felt. There was no place in Minneapolis where dependent chil dren could be cared for. In 1876 it was decided that Minneapolis should take care of the orphan boys of the diocese and, accordingly, on January 27 of that year, they were sent to the old Winslow Hotel, where they were taken care of. The congregation of the Immaculate Conception, both men and women, took keen interest in the unfortunate children who had no parents to watch over them. Thanks to the zeal of Father Mo Golrick, who was young and ener getic, the parish thrived with the pass ing years. During the year 1878 the Catholic Benevolent Society and the St. Vincent de Paul Society were or ganized. These societies brought the people together and strengthened the bonds of the parish by uniting all in a common work. The obligation of educating the young was one which was never over looked by those in charge of the Church of the Immaculate Conception. They realized that on the schooling of the young depends the welfare of the church of the future. Thus it was that in 1882 there arose a new educa tional institution in the parish—Holy Angels Academy, which also served as a residence for the Sisters teaching in the parish school. It was placed in charge of Mother St. John. Three years later, 1885, the problem of taking care of the orphan boys of the diocese was permanently solved when it was decided to build an or phan asylum costing $30,000. Mr. La velle was chosen as architect and when the building was completed Mother Xavier was placed in charge and under her management the insti tution prospered. Father McGolrick Made Bishop. The time had now arrived when the first pastor of the Church of the Immaculate Conception was to be call ed to another field of labor. St. Paul had been made an Archdiocese on May 4, 1888, with the Most Reverend John Ireland as its first Archbishop. Ever solicitous for the welfare of the Cath olics under his spiritual jurisdiction, he saw the need for another diocese in the northern part of the state. Ac cordingly, the Diocese of Duluth was established on October 3, 1889, and Father McGolrick was called to pre side over it. He was consecrated on December 27, 1889. Thus, after twen ty-two years of devoted service in which he endeared himself to every member of his parish, the first pastor of the Church of the Immaculate Con ception was transferred to a new field where he would have wider scope for the exercise of his ability. The departure of Father McGolrick marks the close of the first epoch in the history of the Church of the Im maculate Conception—the second church to be established in Minne apolis. Too much credit cannot be given to the pioneer Catholics, many of whom passed to their reward long ago. It was their devotion that laid the foundation for the present pros perous condition of the Catholic Church in Minneapolis and at the same time had much to do with the success and progress of the municipality. There are names closely associated with the early history of the Immacu late Conception parish that cannot be overlooked in any history of Minne apolis. Anthony Kelly, Angus Mc Dougall, Thomas GafEney, Daniel Sulli van, P. N. Tobin, Terence Connolly, Thomas Gavin, M. W. Nash, Thomas Quinn, Henry Prendergast, Timothy Corbett, Roger Vail and a host of others were a credit to the community in the development of which they played an important part. Only one who was full of zeal and enthusiasm for his work, coupled with energy and executive ability of no mean order could build up a struggling parish as Father McGolrick built up the Immaculate Conception parish. He gathered the young and old about him. He trained them to partake of his vision of the future Minneapolis and to become better citizens of the com munity. He was loved as only one a massive, white granite structure, im pressive and grand. can be loved who makes the welfare of others the work of his Ufa From the Church of the Immaculate Concep tion he went to his new field with de termination to do his duty as he had done it in Minneapolis. The history of the Diocese of Duluth is a further testimony to his ability, self-sacrifice and devotion. Father Byrne Takes Charge. Rev. James C. Byrne succeeded Bishop McGolrick as the second resi dent pastor of the Church of the Im maculate Conception. Father Byrne had received his early education In the parish school. He had been raised in an atmosphere of devotion and piety. He had served as altar boy for the the priest whom he now suc ceeded. At an early age he showed signs of a vocation to the priesthood and was sent to Rome to pursue his theological studies, and was ordained in the Eternal City on February 18, 1883. On his return to Minnesota he was appointed assistant to Father Mc Golrick where he remained one year. For the next six years he was secre tary to the Most Reverend Archbishop Ireland, and on the elevation of Father McGolrick to the episcopate he was appointed his successor. Father Byrne's pastorate was brief. He spent only two years in the Im maculate Conception parish but dur- ing that time he did a great deal to ward removing the church debt. From the Immaculate Conception, Father Byrne was transferred to the presidency of the College of St. Thomas. He was succeeded by Rev erend James J. Keane, now Arch bishop of Dubuque, Iowa. Father Keane Made Pastor. Father Keane was born on August 26, 1857, at Joliet, Illinois, and edu cated at St. John's University, Col legeville, Minn. and at the Grand Seminary, Montreal. He was or dained to the priesthood in December, 1882, and was appointed assistant pas tor of St. Mary's Church and later pas tor of St. Joseph's Church, St. Paul. He became president of the College of St. Thomas in 1888 and held the posi tion until 1892, when he was appointed to the charge of the Immaculate Con ception parish, where he remained for ten years, or until his consecration as third Bishop of the Diocese of Chey MOST REVEREND ARCHBISHOP KEANE TFTTE CATHOLIC FITNXFITFN, MAY 30, I§I4. 5 enne, Wyo. His elevation to the episcopacy took place in the old Cathe dral, St. Paul, on October 28, 1902. Nine years later, on August 11, 1911, he was promoted to the Archieplscopal See of Dubuque, which position he oc cupies at present. Archbishop Keane has not lost interest in the church over which he presided in the early days of his priesthood. Last Novem ber when a course of lectures was giv en in the new Pro-Cathedral on the occasion of its civic dedication he was one of the speakers. There is a special reason why he should be interested in the welfare of the Immaculate Conception parish. It was during his administration that the idea of a new and larger church on a different site had its inception, and before his consecration as Bishop of Cheyenne he selected and purchased a site for the proposed church. It was afterwards decided that the new loca tion was unsuitable for church pur poses and it was sold. Bishop Keane was succeeded in the pastorate of the Immaculate Conception Church by the Rev. Thomas E. Cullen. Father Cullen Appointed. Father Cullen was born in Charlotte town, Prince Edward Island, on Sep temper 20. 1874. He completed his mmm ••HI Illali iisliil ecclesiastical studies at St. Paul Sem inary and was ordained by Archbishop Ireland on November 8, 1901. Shortly after the departure of Bish op Keane the Immaculate Conception Church was declared a Pro-Cathedral and Father Cullen was appointed rec tor. About this time the project of erecting a new church was begun. On Christmas Day, 1903, Archbishop Ireland attended the late Mass at the Immaculate Conception Church and announced the plan for the new edi fice. The undertaking was large. It meant a large expenditure of money. But the need for a new church was evident to every parishioner. The old edifice, besides being old, was too small to accommodate properly the thousands who worshipped within its walls. Two years from that day Mr. Laur oace S. Donaldson, a member of th» congregation, presented the parish with the site on which the Pro-Cathe dral now stands. It cost $45,000. Soon after it was announced that the Cath olics of Hennepin county would not be called upon to contribute to the building of the new Cathedral of St. Paul, but would be asked to contribute toward the Pro-Cathedral building fund instead. This plan was heartily approved by all the churches and thenceforth the work of raising funds progressed rapidly. Assessments were levied on the various parishes according to their means and gradual ly the funds came in. Ground for the new structure was broken on August 7, 1907, and the cornerstone was laid on May SI, 1908. EVENT8 IN THE HISTORY OF THE PARISH OF THE IM MACULATE CONCEPTION. 1866, December 28—Rev. John MeDermott, pastor of the Church of St. Anthony, East Minneapolis, bought two lots at the corner of Third avenue and Third street North, to be used for church prop erty. They cost $800. Father Tissot, who succeeded Father Me Dermott, built the first parochial school in the Immaculate Concop* tion parish. 1867, August—Rev. James Mc Golrick, ordained June 11, at All Hallows College, Dublin, Ireland, arrives In St. Paul. 1868, October—Father McGol rick appointed to West Minneapo lis, to form a parish and and con tinue the work begun by Father MeDermott and Father Tissot. In a short time an extension It built on the rear of the school erected by Father Tissot, on the property at Third avenue and Third street North. This served as the first Church of the Immacu late Conception. 1871—The cornerstone of the present Immaculate Conception Church laid. 1872, December 8—First Maat celebrated within the wails of the new church. 1873, January 1—Dedication of the new church. Rev. John lrt» land preaches and blesses the church. Father Tissot and Father Venn present. Patrick Danehy and James Byrne are altar boys. 1875—Total Abstinence Society formed. Also a cadet society and band. S 1878—Catholic Benevolent Soof ety and St. Vincent de Paul Sod* ety formed. 1882—Holy Angels' Academy established with Mother St. John in charge. 1885—Plans made for new Boys' Orphan Asylum to cost $3JV 000, and be a home for orphans first housed in the Winslow Hote^ and later in a building near th# Immaculate Conception Church. 1886—Mother Xavier in charge of the Boys' Orphanage. 1889, October 3—Diocese of Du luth erected. 1889, December 27—Rev. James McGolrick consecrated first Blstt* op of Duluth. At same ceremony Rev. John Shanley was conse crated, Bishop of Jamestown ana Rev. J. B. Cotter, Bishop of Wi nona. 1890—Rev. James C. Byrne be comes second pastor of Immacu late Conception parish. 1892—Rev. J. J. Keane, now Archbishop of Dubuque, made pas tor. 1902—Father Keane consecrat ed Bishop of Cheyenne, Wyo. Rev. T. E. Cullen appointed pas tor of the Immaculate Conception Church. 1903, Christmas Day—Archbish op Ireland outlines plans for the new Pro-Cathedral. 1905, Christmas Day—Mr. L. 8. Donaldson donates the site on which the Pro-Cathedral of 8t. Mary now stands. 1907, August 7—Ground broken for the foundation by Archbishop. Ireland and members of the Build ing Committee. 1908, May 31—The cornerstone laid in the presence of a most im posing gathering of clergymen and laymen.