Newspaper Page Text
'I w Volume 11 The program of speeches was intro duced by His Honor Mayor Hodgson who. in his usual happy vein, grew eloquent in picturing the benefits, per sonal and national, in an intelligent Christian citizenship. The- chief address was given by His Grace, Archbishop Dowling. The Archbishop dwelt particularly on the spirit of loyalty as typified by a striv ing after the higher things of life, as inculcated by Christian teaching, rath er than by the mere luxury of mem ory in resting on the glories of the past. Judge T. D. O'Brien was toastmas ter. Other speakers were: Stan D. Donnelly, Dr. Frank Whitmore, Thom as .McGrath, Ambrose Pierce and A. E. Smith, who gave reminiscences ltev. C. F. McGinnis, Ph. D., Christian Brothers' System of Education Rev. Brother Baldwin, Provincial Superior Brother Elzear, director of Cretin high school, and Brother Elzear Stephen who this year celebrates his Golden Jubilee as a Christian Brother. Beginnings in St. Paul. Cretin High School is the out growfh of the old Cathedral parish school for boys, conducted by the Christian Brothers at the corner of Sixth ano Wabasha streets,, the present site of Schuneihan Kvuns department store. In answer to the earnest solicita tion of *he Right Reverend Bishop Grace and the great Archbishop Ire land, then Rector of the Cathedral parish, the first community of Chris tian Brothers in St. Paul was estab lished on November 6, 1871. Two members comprised the original colo ny. Brothers Jucondian and Porphy rin A few days after their arrival, on November 10, those pioneers began their labor of love in the Cathedral school. CHRISTIAN BROTHERS' GOLDEN JUBILEE E N O W N E E A E S O PLETE HALF CENTURY OF SERVICE IN ST. PAUL—OPENED FIRST SCHOOL HERE IN NOV EMBER. 1871—SERIES OF CELE BRATIONS CULMINATED LAST MONDAY WITH BANQUET IN Y A N O E A I S O DOWLING PRINCIPAL SPEAKER. Nearly 300 alumni and guests at tended the banquet at the Ryan hotel last Monday night in honor of the Golden Jubilee of the coming of the Christian Brothers to St. Paul. The affair was arranged by the Cretin High school alumni association of which A1 Schneeman is president. The Cretin orchestra, saxophone sextet, singing under the direction of Robert Gelian. and the motion nicture, The Problem, furnished some of the en lertainment features. During the vacation following the opening year, two Brothers were added to the teaching staff, while a fifth ar rived to take charge of the domestic affairs of the community. The work of the school was rapidly passing through the incipient stage, and it already seemed destined to spread and fruc tify. The dawn of the second year saw a large increase in the attendance of the school, two hundred and fifty names being inscribed in the regis ter. The Brothers themselves had gained such a reputation as teachers that neighboring parishes and towns now sought their services. So insist ent. was the claim that in 1875. two Brothers were added to the little com munity and assigned to conduct class es in tha Assumption school, while in 1876, two more desciples of St. de La Salle vere appointed instructors in St. MaryV parish school. Archbishop Ireland. On December 21, 1875, Father Ire land was elected to the episcopacy. Since he was so largely instrumental in bringing the Brothers to St. Paul he now went to uncommon inconven ience in aiding and encouraging their work even though burdened with the cares of the diocese. He continued his visits to the school and even ex amined the pupils. Then, as in later years, dii this luminary of the Ameri can Church prove himself the true friend of 'he Brothers and their work —the friend and admirer who did not. hesitate to say, "If there are two things of which I am justly proud, they are that I brought the Christian Brothers to St. Paul and Minneapolis. They have proved most valued aux iliaries of the diocese, whose labors for the education of Catholic youth have given such precious results." 1 Brother Emery. From 1876 to 1884, the mission of the Brothers in St. Paul was marked by a healthy development. In 1882. however, because of an insufficiency In the number of Brothers in the St. Louis province, their superiors found it necessary to withdraw the Brothers from the Assumption School. In 1884. Brother Emery, well known to many of St. Paul s most prominen citizens, assumed the direction of the Cathedral school and for fifteen .years following he guided the destinies of the Brothers in St. Paul. About this time the "World's Cot ton and Industrial Exposition" was being- organized at New Orleans. Edu catioanl bodies and institutions of all nations were invited to exhibit spec imens of their methodology and school work. Accordingly, the Broth ers in St. Paul forwarded various ex amples of the work of their students. The Exposition awarded them a Dip loma for excellence in school work over many competitors. From 1884 to 1889, the work of the Cathedral and St. Mary's school was maintained by the Brothers in their humble, y« efficient manner. The New Cretin. The old school building at Sixth and Wabt sha streets had now out lived its period of usefulness. Be sides being entirely too antiquated, it was now too small to accommodate the number of boys who daily sought knowledge within its walls. So, in July, 1888, principally through the ef forts of Archbishop Ireland, Monsi gnor Ravoux, and Father Shanley, at that time Rector of the Cathedral par* ish and later Bishop of Fargo, the erection of the present Cretin school building, at Sixth street and Main avenue, was begun. The structure was blessed on Sunday, March a, 1889," and on the following morning classes. were removed from the old building to the new Cretin, so named in honor of Bishop Cretin, the firsv bishop of St. Paul With the opening of the new school, a three-year secondary course of studies was introduced in the curricu lum. Grammar and primary grades in charge of the Brothers and the Sisters of St. Joseph, were, however, maintained in the new building. In 1891, another scarcity of Brothers in the St. Louis province necessitated the withdrawal of the Brothers from St. Mary's school. Cretin High School was opened as an element in the Cathedral parish school plan, and it was continued so until 1914 when Archbishop Ireland removed it from the control of the Cathedral parish, placing it under the direct authority of the archdiocese. During the quarter of a century (1889 1914) the three-year secondary course was maintained, always with gratify ing success in point of numbers at tending rhe classes and at times reaching, ffxjxbove the fondteat-boptno of Cretin's well-wishers. During Brother Ambrose's directorship, from 1900 to 1907, the high school depart ment reached its highest attendance mark for the period- of twenty-five years during which the school was an integral part of the Cathedral parish. With the passing of Cretin under diocesan control the lower grades were discontinued, the younger boys being transferred to the new Cathedral school, conducted by the Sisters of St. Joseph. However, in obedience to the behest of the late Archbishop, seventh and eighth grade classes were con tinued at Cretin. In 1915, four-year high school cours es' were introduced at Cretin. Since then an even greater impetus has been given the enrollment. So great, in fact, hf.s been the number of students ap plying thrt il has been found neces s: iy to discontinue the seventh and eighth grade classes and confine the energies of the school to secondary work. For the past few years, more tl.an 400 eighth grade graduates have been registered each year, while many ethers have been denied admission be cause of the limited accommodations 0:' the present building. Much of the credit of the recent g:owth und success of Cretin High School, with the introduction of tne R. O. T. C.. is due to the energetic work of the Director, Brother Elzear, who has proven a worthy successor to the esteemed Brother Emery. GREECE MJATiGAN Following the negotiations of a con cordat between Greeee and the Holy See, the Greek government will estab lisha diplomatic representation at the Vatican, thus adding to the number of European states which have direct official intercourse with the Papacy. M. Skassis, Greek minister at Madrid, is in Rome with authority to conclude the concordat, and has begun a series of conferences with Cardinal Gasparri, Papal Secretary of State. K. OF C. POLICE Cll Members of the New York Police Department, who also belong to the Knights of Columbus, are making plans to form a K. of C. Club in the department. SUCCEEDS FATHER BEIKMP Rev. Arthur La Fleur, who was or dained to the priesthood by the Right Rev. M. J. Hoban, Bishop of Scranton, Pa., last week, has departed for I^ead, S D., to take the place of Father A. C. Belknap, who was assassinated while on a sick call several weeks ago. Father Belknap was one of the assistant rectors of St. Patrick's Ca thedral of Lead. Father La rieur be longs to the diocese of Le&& HILL OIAD WIDOW OF LATE RAILROAD MAG NATE AND FINANCIAL LEADER SUCCUMBS AFTER FATAL HEART ATTACK—ATTENDED AT DEATH BY NINE CHILDREN*—A BEAUTIFUL CHRISTIAN LIFE DEVOTED TO GOD, RELIGION AND FAMILY. Mrs. James J. *liill, widow of the great Empire Builder of the North west, died at her residence on Sum mit avenue last Tuesday morning at 6:30 o'clock.. Death came after an illness, followed by a heait attack, of two months' duration. At the bed side were all the members of her fam ily and Rev. Lawrence F. Ryan, pas tor of the Cathedral, who recited the prayers for the dying. Father Ryan administered the last Sacraments ten days before. Mrs. Hill was all her life a devoted and eminently practical Catholic. Years ago, she was a member of St. Mary's parish where all her children were baptized, but for many years she has lived in the Cathedral par ish. As we go to press plans for the funeral are not completed. Burial will be in the private cemetery on the famous North Oaks Farm near White Bear where Mr. Hill's body is inter red. Mrs. Hill was born in New York in July, 1846. Before her marriage to Mr. Hill she was Mary Theresa Mehe gan, her parents being natives of Ire land and married in New York in 1844. The family moved to St. Paul in 1854. In 1863, Mary Mehegan first met James J. Hill, who was then a clerk for a packet company on the Levee and who was at that time acquiring the business education which after wards was to make him one of the greatest leaders in the country. After completing her education at a convent, in Milwaukee, she was married to Mr. Hill in 1867. Their union was bless ed with oine children, whom are living. Although by reason of the great wealth acquired by her husband, Mrs. Hill might have been a national lead er in society, her quiet, disposi tion and unassuming manners kept her ever within the circle of her own family R?* 'v was she seen on-pub* lie occasion but her devotion to her husband and her children formed the most prominent feature, next to her love of religion, in a long life filled with acts of kindness. Mrs. Hill's generosity towards the works of religion was manifested on many occasions. At her instigation, James J. Hill, though at that time not a member of the Church, gave five hundred thousand dollars for build ings and endowment of the great St. Paul Seminary in this city. Only last year Mrs. Hill do nated half a million dollars towards the Archbishop Ireland Educational Fund in this diocese, and she present ed a summer home at Silver Lake to the Christian Brothers of St. Paul. Mrs. Hill is survived by six daugh ters and three sons, and a sister, Mrs. Anna E. Phelps, Minneapolis. The daughters are: Mrs. Samuel Hill, Seat tle Mrs. Anson Beard, Mrs. Michael Gavin and Mrs. George T. Slade, New York 5£rs. C. Lindley and Mrs. Egil Boeckmann of St. Paul. The sons are: James N. Hill and WTalter J. Hill of New York, and Louis W. Hill of St. Paul. HTHC Rev. Ignatius Fealy, who was well known as the head of the Army Chap lains' Training School at Camp Tay lor. and is now stationed at Fort Mey er, is authority for the statement that fully one-third of all the interments at the Arlington National Cemetery of the dead brought from France havt» been Catholic boys who gave their lives for their country. That such large percentage of brave Catholi boys measured up to this test is the best refutation of the calumniators and slanderers, who call in question the Americanism of Catholics. SI miESOfJHilMES CATHOLIC CHURCH EXTENSION SOCIETY HAS NOTABLE RECORD. The Catholic Church Extension so* ciety clairns that if all the buildings which have been erected by its aid could be placed side by side, with a fifty-foot frontage to each, there would be a line Of churches twenty miles long. Some remarkable figures! were pre' sen ted to the board of governors at their recent annual meeting in the so ciety's offices in Chicago. From them emerged the fact that during the sh teen years of the society's existence 2,074 church buildings have been aided in their erection by the benefactions of the society. Between the years 1909-1919, the number of churches erected in the United States was 3,258. Of this number 52.85 per cent were helped by Extension gifts. In most cases the churches could not have been contemplated without such ex ternal* aid^ 1 ST. PAUL*, MINN., NOVEMBER 26, 1921 THE PKS TEli'MM HOLY FATHER AND IRISH PEACE —INNER HISTORY OF KING'S TELEGRAM REVEALED. The inner history of the telegrams between Pope Benedict and King George is now revealed, says a cable from Rome. The Pope's telegram was sent in response to a request made on behalf of the British govern ment. Lord Beaverbrook, owner of a -ondon daily newspaper, suggested to leading members of a recent pilgrim age of an English Catholic Association to Rome that an earnest effort should be made to obtain from Pope Benedict message urging settlement of the Irish question, and further that they ecure, if possible, such declarations as would appear to recommend the Irish to accept the peace terms offered. The Papal message, however, sim ply expressed the hope that peace would result from the conference and refrained from recommending any particular form of settlement. Presi dent De Valera's telegram to His Holi ness enunciated no new principle, nor it alleged as the real cause of trouble- to the Anglo-Irish conference. HOW M8HI)!! KQLL FOUNDER OF SUNDAY VISITOR M|ME DOMESTIC PRELATE. Rev. John F. Noll, LL. D., editor of Our Sunday Visitor, of Huntington, Ind., lias received official announce ment from Rome that lie has been ele vated to the rank of .Domestic Prel ate. The honor comes to him in rec ognition of the services he has ren dered in i he defense and spread of the faith through his weekly publica tion, which has ^received the approba tion of His Holiness Pope Benedict XV, and the praise of Leo XIII. The date for Father Noll's investi ture has not been set, but it probably will take place before Christmas. He pastor of St. Maiy's ehurch at Huntington. i EOfflM MM! The Reverend Bonaventure Benning, O. M. Cap., has died in Sacred Heart Monastery, Yonkers, N. Y. He had formerly been a priest in the Grand Rapids, Mich, diocese, vicar general under Bishop Richter, coming there from Germany where he was born in 1855. He joined the Capuchins in 1909. PRIEST-PROFESSOR DIES FATHER GRIFFIN, NOTED CHEM* l|SX, DXAQ, IN BALTIMORE. The death of the Very Rev. John J. Griftin, professor of chemistry at the Catholic University since 1895, and di lecior of the Martin Maloney Chemi cal Laboratory, removes from the uni versity one of its oldest faculty mem bers. Father Griffin died last week at Notre Dame convent in Baltimore, where he taught special classes in chemistry. He had suffered for more than six months from throat trouble.- Father Griffin organized the Malo ney Memorial Laboratory and render ed valuable assistance to government experts who were occupied in making researches concerning toxic gases dur ing the war period. He was born at Corning, N. Y., sixty-two years ago, and graduated from Ottawa Universi ty il» 1881. MEDICAL SUPERVISION FOR ST. LOUIS CATHOLIC SCHOOLS. Medical supervision by the Health Department will be extended to in clude the seventy-five Catholic paro chial schools in St. Louis, according to an announcement by Director of Pub lic Welfare Cunliff last week. Hereto fore, the Health Department has not. had supervision over these schools. An understanding has been reached between the city and Rev. James P. Murray, who is in charge of the Cath olic parochial schools, whereby Health Commissioner Starkloff will furnish a medical supervisor who will be in charge of medical officers to be ap pointed by the parochial organiza tion. The inspectors furnished by the Catholic schools will look for disease and physical disability and report them to the children's parents. BISHOP-ELECT HOSM Right Reverend Mgr. Edward F. Ho ban, Chancellor of the archdiocese of Chicago, tvill be consecrated Auxiliary Bishop in the Cathedral of the Holy Name, that city, on December 21. He will assist the Most Reverend Arch bishop Mundelein in the administra tion of the affairs of the Chicago arch diocese, k $ i&t BISHOP OFU CROSSE BISHOP McGAVICK APPOINTED TO WISCONSIN SEE. According to a dispatch, the Porte held secret consistory last Monday in the presence of all the Cardinals liv ing in Rome. At the same time he ap pointed Right Rev. Alexander J. Mc Gavick, D. D., Auxiliary Bishop of Chi cago, transferred to the vacant See of La Crosse, Wis. Bishop McGavick was born August 22, 18€3, at Fox Lake, near Chicago. He studied at St. Viator's College, Kankakee, 111. In 1837, he was ap pointed pastor of St. John's church, Chicago, and he was consecrated Auxiliary Bishop of that See in 1899. Since 1901, he has been pastor of Holy Angels' ehurch. TO SODALITIES ARE MORAJb BUL WARKS, DECLARES BISHOP ANSWER NEEDS OF GIRL OF TO DAY. Urging upon pastors the necessity of keeping glive the spirit of sodalities, and pointing out their influence amidst the dangers,of modern evils, the Right Rev. H. C. Boyle, Bishop of Pittsburgh, in a recent pastoral let ter, declared the sodality offers an es cape from moral and spiritual disas ter. "It is a bulwark against which the storm breaks harmlessly, and within ft youth and innocence enjoy compara tive safety," rsays Bishop Boyle. "No great penetration is needed to see the great increasing threats to the virtue of young women that are im plicit in the casting aside of the tra ditional restraints of feminine con duct—in the amusements that entice young girls, in the fashiohs of dress that attract them, and in that loose ness of the social code, which permits them a license of conduct and of speech that would make the woman of an older day shudder with horror. Even where these practices are not themselves immoral and sinful, they are often in the way of immorality, and ^inv afi'crwflcg tfirried in that direction, the gravest faults loom up as possible in their lives. "There is a special danger to young girls whose parents are of foreign birth, and whose mothers are thinking of the city life in this country in terms of the life of their own girl hood and of the country from which they have come to us. The very loos ening of the bonds of family life and the lessening of the authority of pa rents over the children in these house hold groups is in itself a grave dis aster. Such children often lose the elementary- virtues of respect and re gard for their parents and the self directed process of their Americaniza tion sometimes involves an imitation of wlpat is least admirable or faulty or vicious in American life. That is one reason why their pastors should call them back to sanity and wholesome ness through the religious practices and the womanly ideals of the Sodali ty of Our Lady." IRE PRIEST EKP18RER FATHER HENNEPIN'8 ONLY POR TRAIT GIVEN TO SOCIETY. The only existing portrait of Father Louis Hennepin, the Catholic priest and explorer who is closely identified with the early history of the North west, was recently presented to the Minnesota Historical Society by the late Mrs. James J. Hill, of St. Paul. The portrait, done in oil, is held by many critics to be the work of some seventeenth century master. The age is confirmed by the name "Louis Hen nepin, 1694," written in the old French script on he back of the canvas, and officials of the historical society have little doubt of its authenticity. foe# ir Twn enrts As we go to press (Tuesday), great preparations arte being made to re ceive and entertain Marshal Foch. He is expected to be in St. Paul and Min neapolis Friday and Saturday of this week. TO BECOME'CARTHUSIAN BAVARIAN STATESMAN TO TEH SEVERE ORHER. EN Reported to be one of the richest men in the. whole of Bavaria, Herr Cramer-Klett, a Privy Councillor of the empire and a great patron of the arts, is about to enter the Carthusian Order. Herr Cramer-Klett studied law at Munich and Berlin. He is a widower, his late wife being the daughter of the Baron von Wurzburg. He has been a great benefactor to religious institutions, and the magnificent Ben edictine Abbey of Ettal awes not a lit tle to his generosity. AT TESTIMONIAL GATHERING*— MAYOR HODGSON PRESIDED. pwblie rgoepflon the ft* raory at St. Thomas college Monday night, for the new president. Very Rev. Thomas E. Cullen, was attended by a large audience which included students, alumni, their parents and friends. Father Cullen was visibly moved by the expressions of confi dence tendered him. The reception was arranged by the Faculty and Parents' association, the Alumni association and the Knights Gf Columbus. Invitations were ex tended to presidents of Twin Cities colleges, the University of Minnesota, and officials of St. Paul and Minne- apolis. the affair opened with a selection by the St. Thomas band, directed by Rev. 3. J. Arsenault, and was fol lowed by a solo by Mrs. Jane Holland Cameron, contralto, accompanied by Frederick Becker. William D. Jamie son, state deputy supreme knight of the Knights of Columbus, introduced Mayor Hodgson, who. presided and officially welcomed Father Cullen on behalf of the city. "Father Cullen*S" Worth to the in DIRECTOR OF CATHOLIC INDIAN BUREAU, INDIANS' FRIEND IS CALLED BY DEATH—HAD BEEN Monsignor Ketcham was a convert to the Catholic Church and was born of Puritan ancestry at Sumner, Iowa, in 1868. He became a Catholic in 1885 while a student at St. Charles College, Grand Coteau. La., from which he graduated in 1S88. He attended the theological seminary of Mt. St. Mary's of the West at Cincinnati. After his ordination in 1892, he was appointed missionary to the people of the Creek and Cherokee Nations and of the Quapaw Agency in Indian Ter ritory, now Oklahoma, with head quarters at Muskogee. v i Made Director of Bureau. He-f labored for ten years with un tiring zeal among the Indian tribes before being appointed Director of the Bureau of Catholic Indian Mis sions. He completed the church at Muskogee for the Creek Nation and established boarding and day schools for boys and girls with Sisters in charge. He also erected churches for the Creeks and for the Cherokees. He established another church, with "a boarding and day school for boys and girls, among the Quapaws of the Quapaw Agency and among the Choc taws, and made preliminary plans for the building of churches at Cayuga for the Seneca Nation, at Tulsa for the Creek Nation and at Lenepah for the Cherokee Nation. He also established mission sta tions in other portions of the Creek and Cherokee territory and among the Wyandottes, Peorias and Miamis of the Quapaw Agency. These mission ary activities resulted in the conver sion of hundreds of Indians to the faith. Rights for Indiana, Director of the BureauP of Hldian Missions, Father Ketcham was instru mental in bringing about cordial rela tions between missionaries and gov ernment officials, and he secured the abolition of the Browning rule where by the right to choose a school for an Indian child was taken from the parent and vested in the*agent. He secured the recognition of the right of Catholic pupils in government schools to attend Catholic services and secured priests for their instruction. One of his most important activities was that whereby he secured the use of Indian Tribal funds for the support and education of Indian pupils in Mis sion schools, thereby bringing a rev enue of $100,000 a year to Catholic mission contract schools, having an enrollment of about 1,500 pupils. He directed the opening of many new schools and missions and was active in the Society for the Preservation of the Faith among Indian Children '"'•'in'-**, Reception To New Rector VERY REV. THOMAS! E. CULLEN, NEW HEAD OF ST. THOMAS, IN THIS CITY, WAS HONOR GUEST MGR. KETCHAM IS DEAD ACTIVE IN WORK AMONG TRIBES rOR MANY YEARS—WAS CON VERT TO FAITH—LOVED BY MANY INDIAN TRIBES. The death of the Right Rev. Mon signor Wi'liam H. Ketcham, Director of the Bureau of Catholic Indian Mis sions, with headquarters in Washing ton since 1901, and known as the greatest apostle of American mission ary activity. ofth is- generation, has caused general mourning in the na tion's capital, and on Indian reserva tions throughout the United States. Monsignor Ketcham died at. Tucker, Miss., November 16, after an attack of apoplexy. He had been visiting the Catholic missions among the Choc taws of Mississippi and had been en gaged in other research work being done at the request of the Board of Indian Commissioners of the Depart ment of the Interior, of which he was a member. Number 48 stitution feere and the city cannot "b® expressed in words, and we must all feel proud to have a man of his type' and ability at the head of St. Thomas college," Mayor Hodgson said in hip speech of welcome. "He is a mail Who has a very deep and keen under standing of human nature, and pa rents whose boys are attending the college feel, I know, that under lii'St* direction the tenets of Christianity will be impressed* upon their minde* their hearts and their souls." Judge Ell Torrance of Minneapolis* spoke highly of Father Cullen's wofile during the past nineteen years as pas* tor of the Pro-Cathedral. Rev. Elmer Allen Bess, president of Macalester college, and Rev. S. Kerfoot, president of Haniline uni versity, spoke for their institutions in welcoming Rev. Father Cullen. They outlined the arduous duties of a col lege executive. Dr. J. J. Pettijohn. as sistant to President L. D. Coffman of the University of Minnesota, was pres ent as a representative of Dr. Coffman. Several members of the St. Paul City Council and General H. Howard, com mandant of Hie cadets at St. Thomae college were others who were includ ed in the official welcoming body. Very Rev. Humphrey Moynihan, rec tor of St. Paul Seminary, in a schol arly address, outlined the position of high trust and influence which the rec torship of college and university al ways connoted. Named as Domestic Prelate. During his lifetime, Monsignor Ket cham, who was made a domestic prel ate by Pope Benedict "XV in 19T9, visited every Indian reservation in the United States He translated a catechism and many hymns into the Choctaw language, on which he was an authority and on which he publish ed a pamphlet for the United States government. In the councils of the Sioux Indians, he was known aw "Watching Eagle," for his zeal in watching over tMe interests of that tribe. _A «ervKnal friepd of both President Taft arid President Roosevelt, Monsi gnor Ketcham also knew personally the majority of the Indian chiefs of the United States, as well as the leadefrs of the tribes. Funeral services for Monsignor Ket cham were held in Oklahoma City, Friday, November 18. A special sol emn requiem high Mass was sung for the repose of his soul in St. Paul's church in Washington last Tuesday. ARCHBISHOP CURLEY INSTALLATION OF NEW BALTI MORE PRELATE TO BE SIM PLE CEREMONY. The reception to Most Rev. Michael J. Curley, Archbishop of Baltimore, when he comes to occupy his See on November 30, will be private and con fined to the priests and people of Balti more and the Suffragan bishops. No invitations will be sent to the clergy or laity of other dioceses. The solemn invitation ceremony will be that of conferring the pallium on the new archbishop. The date of that ceremony has not been set, but It' probably will be next spring. Archbishop Curley will be escorted from St. Augustine to Baltimore by a committee of three priests. The formal ceremonies of installa tion in the Cathedral are set for 10 o'clock Wednesday morning, Novem ber o0. Thev will be simple, out of deference to Archbishop Curley's wish es. Righ* Rev. Owen B. Corrigan, Ad ministrator Bishop, will pontificate, and after the Mass will greet Arch bishop Curley in the name of the cler y. A layman will welcome him in behalf of the people. NEW SEiMf PRESIDENT Bishop Nilan has appointed Rev. M. F. McAuliffe to the post of President of St. Thomas Seminary. Hartfofd, Conn. Father McAuliffe succeeds the late Monsignor Synnott. He has been vice president of the institution since 1906. IIMUME SPLENDID ALTAR FOR BLESS ED SACRAMENT. To enthrone the Blessed Sacrament for perpetual adoration, the most costly, and next to the largest, altar in the United States is being installed in the Church of St. Jean-Baptiste, New York, a church of the Religious of the Blessed Sacrament, and the only church in the city where there is per petual adoration. The altar, which is being so built as to give the effect of a throne, will cost $100,000, and has been nearly three years in the plan ning. It is being executed on the ideas of llev. Alfred Pauze, S. S. S., assistant rector, and an authority on ecclesiaerica* architecture.