Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1789-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more
About The Montgomery tribune. (Montgomery City, Mo.) 1892-1910
Montgomery City, Mo. (1892-1910)
- The Montgomery tribune. : (Montgomery City, Mo.) 1892-1910
- Place of publication:
- Montgomery City, Mo.
- Geographic coverage:
- Tribune Print. Co.
- Dates of publication:
- Began in 1892? Ceased in 1910?
- Missouri--Montgomery City.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01291666
- Missouri--Montgomery County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01205913
- Montgomery City (Mo.)--Newspapers.
- Montgomery County (Mo.)--Newspapers.
- Archived issues are available in digital format as part of the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- Description based on: Vol. 9, no. 12 (Sept. 28, 1900).
- sn 90061056
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
The Montgomery Tribune was launched in Montgomery City, Missouri, in 1892. The paper appeared on Friday of each week with eight pages per issue. The Tribune was continuously published by the Tribune Printing Company; however, a number of editors were associated with it.
Davis W. Major was managing editor of the Tribune from 1900 until May of 1901. In the September 28, 1900 issue, the Tribune proudly announced its “new, enlarged, and up-to-date paper” with the latest equipment in the printing business. It also notified its readers that it “…will give employment to three more people than were employed [so] you will get the best newspaper in the county and make another step of advancement in Montgomery County.”
In June 1901, Major announced his retirement and notified readers that “Artie B. Keadle who has been connected with the office for the past year in the mechanical department and as local editor will succeed me as Managing Editor. Mr. Keadle was reared in this county and is a young man of sterling worth and good business judgment.” Keadle remained as editor until October 30, 1903.
With the November 6, 1903 issue, a new editor came to the Tribune from northern Wisconsin: H. C. Ashbaugh and his family who had spent the past 14 months in Collinsville, Illinois. According to the newspaper, “Mr. Ashbaugh is a practical printer, an editor and publisher of many years’ experience, and a life-long Republican.” In February of 1905, Ashbaugh returned to Illinois where he became editor of the Mound City Pulaski Enterprise.
After Ashbaugh’s departure, Robert H. Bailey came on board as editor of the Tribune. He served from March 1905 until the end of December 1906 when he was succeeded by Fred Wahrer who came to the Tribune from Chicago and was editor from January through May of 1907. Wahrer was followed by a fellow Chicagoan. The May 24, 1907 issue stated: “Our readers will no doubt be surprised this week to learn that the undersigned present owner of the Tribune has disposed of the business, plant, good will, etc., of the paper to Mr. Charles W. Gurney of Chicago, a successful experienced newspaper man. In making this change we desire to say that it was not made because the business has not been satisfactory to us, but on the contrary the plant has been a good investment and the dividends have been far beyond the estimation we put upon it in the start. We make the changes for private and purely personal reasons… Very Truly Fred Wahrer.”
Regardless of editorship, the Tribune remained proudly Republican and opposed the Democratic-leaning Montgomery Standard. In the March 29, 1901 issue, the Tribune responded to news that a second Democratic paper was considering making Montgomery City its home, proclaiming that “if we can have another democratic newspaper in our city we will make it red hot.” The Tribune ceased publication at the end of 1910, leaving Montgomery City without a Republican newspaper to rival the Montgomery Standard.
Provided by: State Historical Society of Missouri; Columbia, MO