The Library of Congress > Chronicling America > Five Mile Beach weekly journal.

Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1770-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more

Five Mile Beach weekly journal. : (Wildwood, N.J.) 1906-1923
Place of publication:
Wildwood, N.J.
Geographic coverage:
  • Five Mile Beach, Cape May, New Jersey  |  View more titles from this: City County, State
  • Wildwood, Cape May, New Jersey  |  View more titles from this: City County, State
Jed DuBois
Dates of publication:
  • Vol. 17, no. 5 (July 25, 1906)-v. 33, no. 52 (May 31, 1923).
  • English
sn 90063041
Preceding Titles:
Succeeding Titles:
View complete holdings information
First Issue Last Issue

Five Mile Beach weekly journal. July 25, 1906 , Image 1


Calendar View

All front pages

First Issue  |  Last Issue

Five Mile Beach Weekly Journal

On July 25, 1906, DuBois re-launched the Five Mile Beach Journal as the Five Mile Beach Weekly Journal of Wildwood, New Jersey. The inaugural issue was the first at the new printing plant on Wildwood Avenue. It was now eight columns instead of six, with a new masthead and new typeface, and it was printed on a Whitlock cylinder press run by an electric motor.

Built for the purpose of printing, the new plant consisted of two floors of a 32 by 66-foot building with the business office in the front and the press and stock area in the rear. The second floor of the building housed the composing room where all the type was set and arranged. The Five Mile Beach Weekly Journal purchased new type, rules, and ornaments in the latest styles. There were two new Whitlock presses installed; one for the printing of the newspaper running at a speed of 1,800 issues an hour, and the other a two revolution Pony press, which could do half tone and color printing at a speed of 3,000 per hour. The new motors were built by the Sprague Electric Company of New York, and the Five Mile Electric Company provided the power, though it first had to transform from 550 volt to 110-volt current by special motors installed at the Journal building. provided the power.

The investment in improved facilities proved worthwhile. Circulation figures had been around 325 in 1899, 400 in 1905 and then jumped to 1,100 in 1908. Just prior to sale in 1922, they were 1,200. Jed DuBois continued to publish the Five Mile Beach Weekly Journal until 1923 when it was succeeded by The Wildwood Journal.

Provided by: Rutgers University Libraries