The Library of Congress > Chronicling America > The Brinkley argus.

Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1789-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more

Title:
The Brinkley argus. : (Brinkley, Ark.) 1883-current
Alternative Titles:
  • Brinkley Sunday argus
Place of publication:
Brinkley, Ark.
Geographic coverage:
  • Brinkley, Monroe, Arkansas  |  View more titles from this: City County, State
Publisher:
W.B. & H.M. Folsom
Dates of publication:
1883-current
Description:
  • Began in 1883.
Frequency:
Semiweekly July 3, 1974-
Language:
  • English
Subjects:
  • Arkansas--Brinkley.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01215409
  • Brinkley (Ark.)--Newspapers.
Notes:
  • Description based on: Whole no. 723 (May 7, 1896) = 13th year, no. 48.
  • Published as: Brinkley Sunday argus, July 7, 1974.
LCCN:
sn 91050004
OCLC:
23188087
Preceding Titles:
Holdings:
View complete holdings information
View
First Issue Last Issue

The Brinkley argus. May 7, 1896 , Image 1

Browse:

Calendar View

All front pages

First Issue  |  Last Issue

The Brinkley Argus

Brinkley, Arkansas, located on the White River in northern Monroe County in the Delta region, was named after the president of the Little Rock & Memphis Railroad, Robert Campbell Brinkley. Incorporated in 1872, the town grew from a camp used by railroad workers as the rail line between Little Rock and Memphis, Tennessee, was completed. Recognizing the strategic location of Brinkley, early settlers quickly established mills and manufacturing plants in the town.

On May 5, 1883, J.C. McKetham and the brothers B.F. Kelley and Robert J. Kelley created the Brinkley Argus (1883-current) and served as the paper's proprietors and editors. Robert J. Kelley sold his interest to J.C. McKetham, and eight years later, in 1891, William Blount Folsom purchased the newspaper. William Folsom, serving as editor, published the paper with his wife, Harriette M. Doty "H.M. Folsom," who served as the paper's business manager. Published weekly, the four- to eight-page newspaper advertised itself as having the largest circulation in Monroe County in the 1890s. In 1921, the Arkansas Press Association awarded the Brinkley Argus several times: second prize in the best all round county paper; first prize in the best displays of ten samples of general printing; first prize in the best display of ten samples of commercial printing; and first prize in the best display of ten samples of social and fancy printing.

The Brinkley Argus focused on local news in Brinkley and Monroe County. The paper regularly published service schedules and Bible lessons for local churches. The Folsoms advertised the positive aspects of Brinkley and Arkansas as a whole. In 1898, the paper included a recurring advertisement titled "Brinkley Has" detailing a list of positive facts about the town. In 1910, William Folsom organized an advertisement train called "Arkansas on Wheels" advertising Arkansas throughout the country. This form of advertising was so successful that the "Arkansas on Wheels" train continued yearly through 1916.

On Monday March 8, 1909, a tornado hit Brinkley and the surrounding area and caused extensive damage: 35 people were killed and hundreds were injured. The newspaper managed to publish an issue five days later on Friday March 12, 1909, and the next couple of issues went into great detail on the destruction of Brinkley. During the First World War, there were occasional updates until 1917 when the United States entered the war and articles about the war's impact on the local community became more frequent.

Provided by: Arkansas State Archives