The Library of Congress > Chronicling America > The sub.

Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1756-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more

Title:
The sub. : (Groton, Conn.) 193?-1946
Place of publication:
Groton, Conn.
Geographic coverage:
  • Groton, New London, Connecticut  |  View more titles from this: City County, State
Publisher:
Shipbuilders & Marine Engineers Union of Groton, Inc.
Dates of publication:
193?-1946
Frequency:
Biweekly Nov. 8, 1945-1946
Language:
  • English
Subjects:
  • Connecticut--Groton.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01215072
  • Connecticut--New London.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01205494
  • Connecticut.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01205688
  • Groton (Conn.)--Newspapers.
  • Labor unions--Connecticut--Newspapers.
  • Labor unions.--fast--(OCoLC)fst00990260
  • New London (Conn.)--Newspapers.
Notes:
  • "An organ of American Federation of Labor Workers."
  • Also issued on microfilm from Connecticut State Library, Hartford, CT.
  • Continued in part by: EBCO news, Sept. 8, 1944. Reabsorbed this title, May 5, 1945.
  • Description based on: 5th year, no. 14 (Mar. 11, 1943).
LCCN:
sn 92051355
OCLC:
26296188
Succeeding Titles:
Holdings:
View complete holdings information
View
First Issue Last Issue

The sub. March 11, 1943 , Image 1

Browse:

Calendar View

All front pages

First Issue  |  Last Issue

The Sub

The Sub (Groton, CT), a bi-weekly labor newspaper billed as "an organ of American Federation of Labor Workers," was "published by the Shipbuilders & Marine Engineers Union of Groton, Inc." in Groton, CT, from sometime in the 1930s to 1946. The April 14, 1948, issue of its successor, Eastern Connecticut News, reported that it was the "10th Anniversary edition," putting the actual start date most likely in 1938.

The Sub had five different editors listed from 1943 to 1946. Roy Perry was listed as managing editor in the first known issue on March 11, 1943, through the November 11, 1943, issue. Starting with the November 25, 1943, issue, department column editor James Cunningham took on the managing editor role and continued through the July 20, 1944, issue. There were two special issues: August 3, 1944 and August 17, 1944, put out by a committee of Peter F. O'Malley, Jack McGee, Roland Bishop, and George Richards. The following issue, dated August 31, 1944, showed Jack McGee as acting editor-in-chief. He then took on the role of editor-in-chief from September 14, 1944, through the April 28, 1945, issue. From the May 5, 1945, issue through the May 26, 1945, issue, Jack McGee and James Cunningham were listed as editors and publishers. Starting with the July 19, 1945, issue Roland Bishop took on the role of Editor through the change in title to the Eastern Connecticut News in 1946.

The Sub was a pro-American Federation of Labor (AFL) newspaper. It included articles on successes of labor at both the local and national levels, including articles related to the National Labor Relations Act. Large national labor strikes affecting wartime efforts were featured, and special issues focused on the problem of absenteeism. The October 4, 1945, Special Contract Edition posted the AFL contract with Electric Boat (EB), including section explanations.

The paper featured some military news. The July 12, 1945, issue had headlines stating, "GI's not for Peacetime Draft" and "Front-line Soldiers Disagree with 'Brass Hats.'" In a September 23, 1943, issue a column called "Our men and women in service," posted letters to families back home from overseas. The August 31, 1944, issue started including on its masthead: "A Labor Paper devoted to the working men and women building submarines for victory circulation over 11,000."

This paper also provided insight into the daily social and cultural lives of the members of this military community, specifically EB workers and their families. EB was founded in 1899, around the time that the first submarine in the U.S. Navy was commissioned. During the 1940s and World War II, EB produced submarines and PT boats.

Some columns featured local sports and business news from EB as well as society news. Women workers at EB also were featured in this newspaper for their work, as well as the latest fashion trends in work attire.

EBCO News split from the Sub from September 8, 1944 until it was re-absorbed by the title on May 5, 1945.The Sub's title changed to Eastern Connecticut News on July 18, 1946. It was published by Sub Pub Co in Groton, Connecticut. The Eastern Connecticut News was billed as "the official organ of the Metal Trades Council of New London County and the New London Central Labor Union."

Provided by: Connecticut State Library, Hartford, CT