The Library of Congress > Chronicling America > Rawlins semi-weekly Republican.

Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1777-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more

Title:
Rawlins semi-weekly Republican. : (Rawlins, Carbon County, Wyo.) 1898-1901
Alternative Titles:
  • Rawlins Republican
Place of publication:
Rawlins, Carbon County, Wyo.
Geographic coverage:
  • Rawlins, Carbon, Wyoming  |  View more titles from this: City County, State
Publisher:
G.W. Perry
Dates of publication:
1898-1901
Description:
  • Vol. 10, no. 10 (Jan. 5, 1898)-v. 13, no. 61 (Aug. 3, 1901).
Frequency:
Semiweekly
Language:
  • English
Subjects:
  • Carbon County (Wyo.)--Newspapers.
  • Rawlins (Wyo.)--Newspapers.
LCCN:
sn 92067235
OCLC:
27175548
Preceding Titles:
Succeeding Titles:
Holdings:
View complete holdings information
View
First Issue Last Issue

Rawlins semi-weekly Republican. January 5, 1898 , Image 1

Browse:

Calendar View

All front pages

First Issue  |  Last Issue

The Rawlins Republican, Rawlins semi-weekly Republican, and Rawlins Republican

The Rawlins Republican began publishing in January of 1890, six months before Wyoming was granted statehood. The first owner and editor, H. B. Fetz, released the paper weekly with eight pages. The Republican included articles that reported on the local happenings of Rawlins, with a focus on the growth of the town and state as well as the condition of mining and ranching enterprises. National and global news also received attention in the Republican; detailed articles about national and local government happenings were included in every issue. The Republican's holistic approach to the news is best expressed by the call included in early issues, "correspondence from the different localities over the counties are solicited, and especially news mining and stock items. Send in your manuscripts."

George W. Perry purchased the Republican from Fetz in 1895, and took over as its publisher in May. Perry had been a news correspondent in Cheyenne before purchasing the Republican, and on May 2, 1895, an article of praise and congratulations from other Wyoming newspaper editors to Perry was printed. After Perry took over the Republican, the page length of the paper varied from between four and eight pages. Perry began to publish the paper biweekly in 1898, and renamed the paper to the Rawlins Semi-Weekly Republican, a name it would go by until 1901 when it was changed back to the Rawlins Republican. On January 25, 1902, Perry published a special illustrated 32-page edition of the Republican titled, "History of the Growth of Rawlins Pictorially Presented." It explored the rise of Rawlins in depth, highlighting key figures and businesses that helped the town grow and thrive.

Under owner Ross Alcorn and his associates in 1935, the name of the paper was changed to the Republican Bulletin, though the name of the business publishing the paper remained the Rawlins Republican Company. The name stuck until 1946 when it was changed to The Rawlins Daily Times under publisher Ted O'Melia. In 1961, the name was changed for the final time to The Daily Times, which the paper still publishes under today.

Provided by: University of Wyoming Libraries