Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1770-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more
About The Las Vegas weekly optic and stock grower. (Las Vegas, N.M.) 1898-190?
Las Vegas, N.M. (1898-190?)
- The Las Vegas weekly optic and stock grower. : (Las Vegas, N.M.) 1898-190?
- Alternative Titles:
- Weekly optic and stock grower
- Place of publication:
- Las Vegas, N.M.
- Geographic coverage:
- [Las Vegas Pub. Co.]
- Dates of publication:
- Began with Feb. 6, 1898.
- East Las Vegas (N.M.)--Newspapers.
- Las Vegas (N.M.)--Newspapers.
- New Mexico--East Las Vegas.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01276699
- New Mexico--Las Vegas.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01216596
- New Mexico--San Miguel County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01209378
- San Miguel County (N.M.)--Newspapers.
- Archived issues are available in digital format as part of the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- Description based on: 14th yr., no. 50 (Mar. 5, 1898).
- sn 92070422
- Preceding Titles:
- Succeeding Titles:
- Related Titles:
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
Las Vegas Weekly Optic and Stock Grower
The seat of San Miguel County, New Mexico, Las Vegas depended on farming and sheep ranching until 1879, when it became a major stopping point on the Santa Fe Trail and subsequently the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railroad. Las Vegas was incorporated as a city in 1888, New Mexico Highlands University was founded there in 1893, and the town acquired a county courthouse in 1912. However, three distinct communities developed in Las Vegas. Upper Town remained a small community that declined after 1870. West Las Vegas (Old Town), on the west side of the Rio Gallinas, was largely Hispanic. East Las Vegas rested on the east side of the river by the railroad, was newer and chiefly Anglo-American. The Las Vegas Weekly Optic and Stock Grower was published in East Las Vegas and intended primarily for its residents.
The papercommenced publication on February 6, 1898, and continued through December 25, 1920. It was formed by a merger of the Las Vegas Weekly Optic and the Stock Grower and Farmer. Title variances included the Las Vegas Optic and Livestock Grower and the Weekly Optic and Live Stock Grower. The April 2, 1898 edition of the Weekly Optic and Stock Grower stated in the heading that a subscription cost $2.00 a year.
Although the editors published the Las Vegas Weekly Optic and Stock Grower almost exclusively in English, two issues contained limited Spanish language content--July 29, 1899, and September 23, 1899.
Provided by: University of New Mexico