Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1789-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more
About Oregon Republican. [volume] (Dallas, Or.) 1870-1872
Dallas, Or. (1870-1872)
- Oregon Republican. [volume] : (Dallas, Or.) 1870-1872
- Place of publication:
- Dallas, Or.
- Geographic coverage:
- D.M.C. Gault & Co.
- Dates of publication:
- Began in Mar. 1870; ceased in Aug. 1872.
- Dallas (Or.)--Newspapers.
- Archived issues are available in digital format from the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- Description based on: Vol. 1, no. 2 (Mar. 12, 1870).
- Latest issue consulted: Vol. 3, no. 22 (Aug. 3, 1872).
- sn 93051636
- Succeeding Titles:
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
Oregon Republican and Liberal Republican
In 1868, newspaperman Jonas H. Upton established the Polk County Signal in the small town of Dallas, Oregon, about 15 miles west of the state's capitol, Salem. At that time, there was only one other newspaper in Dallas, the Religious Expositor, founded by Charles Hiram Mattoon in 1856. The Expositor eventually moved to Corvallis, closing shortly thereafter. The Signal became the sole news-reporting source in Dallas, existing to the present day. The Democratic Signal was published every Monday, with a four-page, seven-column spread. It was available for a $3 yearlong subscription.
The Signal would go through many reincarnations as ownership switched hands. In March 1870, Raymond H. Tyson took over, changing the paper's name to the Oregon Republican, which was published on Saturday and which cost $2 for a yearlong subscription. The Republican offered a four-page, six-column spread. It mainly covered political topics, especially the passage of bills and news about electoral conventions, as well as developments in the state and in neighboring counties. The paper also had a classifieds section listing items for sale and services wanted. A section on daily happenings described local activities of the townsfolk.
In August 1872, longtime editor Potter Charles Sullivan became sole proprietor of the Oregon Republican,with John J. Daly as its editor. Sullivan changed the paper's name to the Liberal Republican. Although its layout, publishing day, and cost stayed the same, Sullivan, a strong supporter of then presidential candidate and editor of the New-York Tribune, Horace Greeley, aligned much of the content of his paper with the ideals of liberal Republicanism and Greeley's presidential campaign.
The Liberal Republican continued its focus on politics, with weekly sections "Town & County News" and "State Items" discussing government happenings, including court rulings, news about American Indians, and food prices. As in the past, the paper featured a classifieds section, with advertisements for clothes, animals, and services.
In the years that followed, the Liberal Republican struggled financially and switched hands several more times as a result. With ownership changes came name changes. In December 1872, the paper became the Dallas Itemizer under Ed Casey. In 1879, it was renamed the Polk County Itemizer under George E. Good. In 1924, Earle Richardson purchased the Itemizer and in 1927 merged it with another newspaper to create the Polk County Itemizer Observer, a version of which exists today.
Provided by: University of Oregon Libraries; Eugene, OR