Newspaper Page Text
DATE J. OF ORGANIZATION, WORK ACCOMPLISHED WorK of the Adventists As early as 1$43 a preacher came to this city pro claiming the speedy return of Christ to the earth. Ten years later two Advontist preachers, Edwin Burnham and F. H. Berech held a series of meetings in Irving hall and were followed by Miles Grant. Though their labors met with some success, yet it was not until 1S69 that the Second Advent church was accomplished. For a time the new church flourished, but new doctrines crept in and a division resulted. The present church was established in 1881, but had no regular pastor until 1S83. In that year the Rev G. L. Teeple of Westfield, Mass, was called to the pastorate, but was compelled to resign at the end of a year owing to ill health. He was suc . ceeded in 1885 by the Rev L. F. Baker of Philadel phia, the society numbering 18 members at that time. On December 20, 1885, four Second Advent ists were baptized in the Naugatuck river. Until 1886 the meetings of the society were held In a hall on Abbott avenue. On October 3 of that year the present church was dedicated. During Mr Baker's ministry the church membership had in creased to 125 and the Sunday school to 100. Mr Baker was succeeded by the Rev C. Pike, who resigned in 1894. His successor was the Kev Mi Gardner, who accepted a call to the pastorate in 1894. He remained at the head of the church until June, 1902, when he accepted a call to a church in Lynn, Mass. In December, 1902, the present pastor, the Rev C. F. L. Smith was appointed. Under the charge of the Rev Mr Smith the church is increasing rapidly in membership. L REV BENJAMIN F. ROOT. Catholic Apostolic Band In the autumn of 1870 the Catholic Apostolic church, which believes that the apostolic gifts and ministries had been restored, began to hold services in this city. The. movement for the establishment of a permanent organization of that church here Was given a start by lectures delivered by the Rev W. W. Andrews of Wethersfield, and talks given by the Rev S. J. Andrews of Hartford at private houses on the constitution of the church and the second coming of the Lord. Meetings were held for some months In Bolan's hall, Irving hall and in the American building. During the early part of its ex istence, the local church was a dependency of Hartford, but in 1S93 became connected with the Catholic Apostolic church in New York. Until .the time of his death Robert R. Smith was an officer in the church and Superintendent M. S. Crosby was Also officially connected with it until the time ci" hi death. Services are now held at 61 Park Place. Trinity Episcopal Church The organization of Trinity Episcopal church was tut the natural result of the growth of this city and jthe Episcopal church in the city. Among those who Withdrew from St John's church, the mother church, in 1877 in order to form a new parish, were the fol lowing: Nathan Dikeman, R. E. Hitchcock. E. L. "Frisbie, E. C Lewis, Aner Bradley, J. S. Castle, C. Pierpont, Jr, H. P. Camp. .7. E. Coer. F. E. Castle, ,T. R. Taylor, S. P. Williams, J. K. Smith, E. D. Steele, J. P. Merriman, J. W. Smith, Samuel Booth. W. W. Bonnett, F. H. La Forge. The parish was formally organized at a meeting held May 22, 1877, at which time the following offi cers were elected: Wardens, R. E. Hitchcock, J. W. Smith; clerk, E. T. Root: vestrymen, E. L. Frisbie. J. B. Castle, Nathan Dikeman, A. O. Shepardson, E. C. . ewis, S. P. Williams, the Rev F. T. Russell, E. D. Steele, J. C. White, F. E. Castle. The church prospered from the beginning. The first services were held in a building on Grand street formerly used as a Universalist chapel, and were conducted by the Rev Mr Russell, who had been ask ed to take spiritual charge of the parish until a rec tor could be secured. Soon after the Rev R. W. Micou was appointed pastor and retained the posi tion for fifteen years. Soon after the organization of the parish plans were formulated for the erection of a church edifice. A lot on Prospect .street, the present site of the church, was purchased in December, 1881, from C. B. Merriman for $10,000. The corner stone was laid May 18. 1884. The offertory on Easter Sunday, 1880, was sufficient to cancel the debt, $4,000, then remain ing on the church which was therefore consecrated uu May 27. The cost of the church and lot amounted to more than $70,000, of which S. W. Hall's gift of $10,000 with the accumulations, paid $22,500; G. W. Burnham's gift, $10,000; the parishioners of St John's, about $5,000 and the remainder was raised by subscriptions in the parish. The church, which is one of the finest in the state, is of Plymouth gran ite. The outside dimensions are about 135x65 feet. It is a memorial to Mrs S. W. Hall, a fact that is re corded on a tablet in the chancel: "In memoriam. Mrs Nancy Austin Hall, born April 13, 1815; died February 8, 18G8. To perpetuate her memory this tablet is erected by the last will and testament of her husband, Samuel W. Hall, to whose- generous be quest tills church owes in large part its erection in this year of grace, 1883." The history of Waterbury says of Trinity church: "The erection of such a church was a great under taking for a new society, largely made up of young men, most of .whom were dependent upon their own exertions for all they had and it was not accom plished without much effort and self-denial. But the rapid growth and financial success of the parish prove that the free church system is adapted to a congregation of moderate means in a growing manu facturing town." The Rev Mr Micou remained rector of Trinity church until June, 1892, when he accepted a call to the professorship of systematic theology in the Phil adelphia Divinity school. He was succeeded by the Rev Frederick Dashiels Buckley, wiio officiated for the first time as rector of Trinity church on Octo ber l, 1892, During his pastorate the church has steadily increased in membership. In April, 1803, a, rectory on North Willow street was purchased. It stood on the rewind which is re ported to bv the probable blrfhphieo of the Rev James Srovil, the first: resident rector of the Episco pal ehuivh in Waterl-mry. Several years ago a handsome residence, adjoining the church on Pros pect street, vraj purchased and Is now used as a rectory. A. ff. E. Zion Church A society of the African Methodist Episcopal church was organized in this city in 1879 by the Rev J. P.. Smith of Bridgeport, who had charge of that church throughout the si ale. At that time the number of colored people in this city was small and for three years the mission made but slow progress and received little encouragement. The society met in a hall on Bank street. The first, pastor, the Rev S. W. Peaker, remained only a year and was suc ceeded by the Rev W. B. Bowens, a student of Wor cester, Mass, After a year he was succeeded by the Rev Peter Ross. Like his predecessors the Rev Mr Ross, though a brilliant clergyman, met with little success. In 1882 lie was transferred to another sta tion. In 1882 the Rev C. C. Ringgold was appointed to the mission with instructions to build a church. He entered zealously upon the undertaking and in 1883 the corner stone of the church was laid. Ths church, (which was located on Pearl street, was completed and dedicated in 1883. It cost $1,450 and contains seats for about 200 persons. The trustee of the property in 1883 were G. H. Cowell, H. A. Matthews and W. P. Thomas. In the same year the' society was placed on. he list of self-supporting so cieties. In lf,8o Mr Ringgold was succeeded by the Rev J. G. Smith, who remained but one year. His successor was the Rev John F. Lloyd, whose pastor ate extended over n period" of two years. In 18H the Rev Alfred Dny became pastor. He was a man of much energy and executive ability and in the course of a year succeeded in erecting a comfortable parsonage. He remained two years. During the two years' pastorate of his successor, the Rev S. E. Robir.son, the lecture room of the church was completed at a cost of $000 and the interior of the church was renovated and redecorated. The Rev G. H. S. Bell was pastor for about six years, begin ning in 1S92. The Rev Andrew McCollum, the present pastor, is well liked by his congregation, Which is steadily increasing in numbers. St. PatricR's Church One of the finest church properties in the sfcte is that of St Patrick's parish, this city. It consists of a magnificent church, a beautiful rectory and tine land on which there are no buildings. It is situated on Bank and Charles streets and is rather extensive. St Patrick's parish was organized over thirty years ago. It was the nitural sequence of the wonderful growth of the mother church, the Immaculate Con ception church. In February, 1880, the Rev John H. Duggen came to this city at the request of Bishop McMahnn and purchased from John C. Boith and N. J. Wrlvnn a site for a now ehm-eh on Bank street at a cost of $o.2f'0. In April of that year it was an nounced that a new Catholic parish to be known as St Patrick's had been formed in this city, and the Rev Father Duggan had been appointed pastor. Services were held in St Patrick's chapel, corner of East Main street and Phoenix avenue, until the basement of the now church was ready for occu pancy, In December, 1882. The Rev Father Duggan, a zealous and indefati gable worker, set in at once to erect one of -the costliest and grandest churches in the state. Th work was pushed forward rapidly and ihe corner stone was laid in 1881 by the Rt. Rev Bishop Mc Mahon. It was a gigantic undertaking, but. Father Duggan would stand for no obstacle and until the time of his death labored long and earnestly to com plete tne magnmcent new euinee. ine nasement or wmwm r P "-y k h V ' REV JOSEPH M. GLEESON. the church was ready for occupancy in December. 1882. Though, the work of superintending the erection of a new church and "looking after the spiritual needs of a large parish demanded much of his time,, yet Father Duggan found opportunity to take inter est in the improvement of that section of the : city. To him the residents of that district, owe much for many important improvements, which they secured. While the work on the new church was progress ing slowly but surely, the erection of a handsome and splendid parochial residence was commenced. While Inspecting the work on this rectory on No vember 7, 1805. Father Duggan accidentally fell from the veranda and received injuries from which he died on Sunday, November 10. 1895. He was buried on November 13, in front of the sacred edifice which is a living monument of his worth and ability. In 1895 the Rev Joseph M. Gleeson Avas appointed to carry out the gigantic work begun by Father Dug gan. How well he succeeded may be gained by a visit to the church. Under his supervision the work on the interior of the upper part of the church was completed. The church was dedicated on January U 4 mm ' jwaBiir'rwT i ST PATRICK'S RECTORY. IS. 1903, by the Rt Rev Bishop Tierney. Among the dignitaries of the church present were His Eminence Cardinal Gibbous, of Baltimore. The following have been pastors and assistants at St Patrick's: Father Duggan The Rev Fathers Birracree, Cur tin. Martin. Brown and Lawless. Father Gleeson The Rev Father Gibbons. Jordan, Sullivan, Sheehan and Keane. The last two named are the present assistants. Churches in Waterville For s-ach a small place Waterville is well fixed in regard, to churches. The people of Waterville mast he rather religious or the three churches in that Imisy suburb of Waterbury could not prosper so weli. One of Waterville's churches is Grace Metno dist church. If is favorably situaied on Main street in a fine residential section. The pastor is the Rev J. J. Moffitt. who has done much to promote the wel fare of Methodism in Waterville. He has also reno vated and improved the appearance of the edifice. Tha entire wood work and plastered walls of the .church have beer, repainted hi light and cheerful colors, giving a most harmonious effect. A wide border 'of neat design has been painted around the ceilings with a- modest decoration just above the wainscoting, all of which combine to produce a most pleasing general effect in harmony and color. Grace church was organized as the result of a mission begun October 2ti, 1873, by a "praying band" of the First Methodist Episcopal church. For about two years devotional meetings and a Sunday school, with preaching services at intervals, were held in Stevens's hall. In 1875 the present chapel was erected under the direction of the trustees of the First Methodist church. The site for the church was presented by Joseph Welton, while the cost of the building, sheds and furnishings, amounting to about $2,300 was provided partly for by Waterbury and Waterville' subscriptions and partly from the treasury of the mother church. A bell was donated by the Scovill Manufacturing Co. The chapel, which was dedicated in 1875. was continued as a mission chapel until 1882. In that year the Waterville Meth odists were organized into a separate society, which began its career with 31 members. Fifty-one mem bers belonged to the Sunday school. Among the clergymen who had been preaching to the congrega tion until this time were the Rev Alfred Northrop and the Rev James' W. Davis of the Waterbury church. Since 1882 the pastors of the church have been as follows: 1SS2, J. J. Moffitt: 1883-84. H. G. McGlauf lin; 1885-80, James Shipman: 1887-88, A. E. Thomp son, 1889-90. E. L. Fox: 1891. N. J. Hampton; 1892 93, R. IT. White: 1894, N. W. Wilder. 1895. W. J. Tudd, 1896: A. L. Hubbard, 1897-1900; II. D. Trin kus. The Rev J. J. Moffitt, the present pastor, as sumed the duties of the pastorate in 1901. The church is making excellent progress. Church of the Sacred Heart The attendance at the Immaculate Conception church having grown too large for tne seating ca pacity of the church, it was deemed best to divide the parish and consequently the eastern part of the parish was cut off and formed into a new parish In 1885. The new parish was called the Sacred Heart and the Rev Hugh Treanor was appointed its first pastor. During the first year services were held in the old St Patrick's chapel on East Main street. At the same time work upon a new church building at the corner of Wolcott and Taylor streets was be gun and was rapidly 'pushed forward. The corner stone was laid in August, 1885, and the basement of the church was completed on March 14, 1886. The construction of the new edifice was completed dur ing the summer of 1889, and on Thanksgiving day of the same year it was dedicated. The Sacred Heart church is of brick, pleasing ih architecture and has a seating capacity for about 1,000 people. It possesses a large Johnston & Son organ, which Is said to be one of the finest in the country. The church is one of the prettiest for its size in New England. The number of members of the church is esti mated at about 1,500. . When it was set apart as a separate parish the estimated Catholic population was about 1.000. The rectory of the Sacred Heart parish is one of the iinest in New Englaud. It was erected about 1894 by the Rev Hugh Treanor. It Is of brick and three stories. The interior is linished in the finest of wood and contains all improvements. On November 18. 1897, the Rev Hugh Treanor i was transferred to Norwich. He was succeeded by . the Rev Thomas Shelley, who has reduced the debt on the church property considerably during the past six years. The following have acted as curates at the "Sacred Heart church: Rev Fathers Murphy, Egan. Bray and Fitzgerald. The latter is assistant pastor at the present time. St. Ann's (French) Parish tft Ann's parish, consisting of the French Catho lics of the city, was organized in 1S80 by the Rev Joseph Fones, who labored earnestly and zealously in carrying out the request of Bishop McMahon to organize the French Catholics. . Services were held for three years in the old Universalist chapel on Grand street, mass being celebrated there for the first time on Sunday, May 2, 1880. ' At the time of his assuming pastoral charge of the French Catholics he had charge of St John's parish. Watertown. In 1S80 he relinquished the charge of that parish and took sole charge of the French par ish in this city. During his short pastorate he ac complished much for the spiritual and material wel fare of his parishioners.. In April, 1877. the lot on the corner of Clay ,and South Main streets was pur- chased from A. C. Porter for $10,000 and in vTuly, 1888, the former parochial residence on Dover street with its spacious grounds was bought for $22,500 from . E. C. Lewis. On the latter property the church building was erected at a cost of $10,000. Father Fones. who had long been in ill health, died on May 18, ?90, at North Attleboro. Mass, and his remains were buried in Pawtucket, the' place of his birth. The Rev J. E. Bourret was appointed his success or on May 19, 1890. During the first live years of his pastorate the church debt was reduced $30,00J. This was due much to the energy and zeal of the pastor, with whom the parishioners co-operated much. In 1900 the Rev Father Bourret resigned the pastorate and entered a monastery, lie was succeeded by the Rev J. E. Senesac, whose adminis tration of the parish has been most successful. Dur ing the four years that he has been pastor, the church debt has been entirely wiped out. Long since the French Catholic population of this city has outgrown its present church. The edifice, has become far too small. Already the Rev Father Senesac has plans in view for the erection of a beautiful new church on the property at the corner of South Main and Clay streets. During Father Bourret's pastorate, in 1896, a fine parochial school was erected on TJover street, ad-' joining the church. A handsome residence was erected nearby on South Main street. . ' The follqwing priests have been assistants at St Ann's church: The Rev Fathers Cadotte. Senesac. Papillon, Bedard. Coppens, Dolan, Broderick, O'Neal and Grenier, the present assistant. , - Organized in Waterville - In 1851 St Paul's chapel at Waterville was conse crated as a chapel of St John's church. A success ful mission had been conducted in that place for a number of years before the chapel was consecrated. The church was for many years in. charge of an assistant minister, who resided there, but the chapel flourished and grew so large that it was decided to organize the chapel into a parish In 1896. Its first pastor was the Rev IT. Nelson Tragltt. Other pastors have been the Rev W. Sturtevant Rafter, Rev Char les E. Bentham and Rev Joseph Stansfield, the present pastor. Under Rev Mr Stansfield the church .. is gaining rapidly and is in a flourishing condition. . LATE.REV J: H. DUGGAN. Chapel Street M. E. Church In 1887 class meetings of the Metnodists in tn Simonsville district were begun to be held. James Smith was the able leader; The number of Metho dists in this district had increased so rapidly that it was T decided to erect- a-j church- for their benefit. Consequently a business meeting was held at the residence of F. D. Brown puj August 14, 1887, and arrangements were made for-the purchase of a suit able lot. Committees were appointed to solicit funds and to recommend a site for, the chapel, it was de cided to purchase a Tot on Chapel street, measuring 80x50 feet, and this was done on October 4, 1887. The members were very enthusiastic oyer the pro ject of building a church of their own and wasted no time in having a chapel erected. The. chapel, Which was finished in May, was dedicated May 30, 1889. It cost $2,000. Shortly before this it was decided to call the society "The Chapel" 'Street Meth odist Episcopal -Church of Waterbury, ' Conn." W. W. Jerman, F. D. Brown, James Smith,;-Si. C. Gay lord and Elmore S. Hapeman were "the trustees. Hubert B. Munson, a; student at Wesleyan uni versity, was the first preacher employed -by the so ciety. He commenced his duties June 1, 1887, but his pastorate- was short lived for death carried' him to his eternal reward on July 21, 1889. . He wan succeeded by W. W. Tuckey, another AVesleyan stu dent, who remained until December 1,'c 1S89. Ill successor was M. B. Munson, January. 1, 1890, to April of the same. year. For four years. .1S91-95, the Rev E. C. Carpenter was pastor, preceding the Rev -William. J. White. Diiring. the pastorate of the Rev Mr Carpenter the church membership increased considerably. A parsonage, which was completed in the summer of 1895. was erected at a cost of about $3,000. The Rev Mr Whitewas succeeded by the present pastor, the Rev John E. Zeiter. under whose leadershiD the 'church N trniuimr in nieniherjii'n nni influence.