The Library of Congress > Chronicling America > Auttaja.

Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1756-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more

Title:
Auttaja. [volume] : (Ironwood, Mich.) 1906-19??
Alternative Titles:
  • Auttaja, the helper
Place of publication:
Ironwood, Mich.
Geographic coverage:
  • Ironwood, Gogebic, Michigan  |  View more titles from this: City County, State
  • Saint Louis, Missouri  |  View more titles from this: City State
Publisher:
Amerikan Suomalaisen Ev. Luth. Kansalliskirkon äänenkannattaja
Dates of publication:
1906-19??
Description:
  • Began in 1906.
Frequency:
Monthly Jan. 1965-
Language:
  • Finnish
Subjects:
  • Gogebic County (Mich.)--Newspapers.
  • Ironwood (Mich.)--Newspapers.
  • Michigan--Gogebic County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01214766
  • Michigan--Ironwood.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01233229
Notes:
  • "Published under the auspices of the Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod for Finnish-speaking People by Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis, Mo., Jan. 1965- "
  • Archived issues are available in digital format from the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
  • Description based on: 1 vuosikert, no. 2 (Tammikuun 25 p. (Jan. 25) 1906).
  • In Finnish.
LCCN:
sn 93060356
OCLC:
10051503
ISSN:
2694-3271
Related Links:
Holdings:
View complete holdings information
View
First Issue Last Issue

Auttaja. [volume] January 25, 1906 , Image 1

Browse:

Calendar View

All front pages

First Issue  |  Last Issue

Auttaja

Auttaja (The Helper) was a weekly Finnish language newspaper published in Ironwood, Michigan. Its first publisher, Pietari Vuori (also spelled Wuori) purchased an existing Ironwood paper, Vapaa Sana (Free Word) and in January 1906 began to publish it under the name Auttaja. Vuori was a Christian minister who intended the paper to serve both as a source of spiritual advice and community news. He quickly donated the paper to the National Evangelical Lutheran Church (also known as the Finnish National Church), which was composed primarily of Finns and was particularly popular in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. In 1909, the Church purchased the printing plant where the paper was published, renaming it the Finnish Printing Company.

In 1915, the paper joined with many other ethnic newspapers that published a joint call for Americans to adopt a policy of strict neutrality toward all the combatants in World War I, refusing to "manufacture, sell or ship powder, shrapnel or shot of any kind or description to any of the warring nations of Europe, or Japan." This article would later be included in hearings held in 1919 before a United States Senate subcommittee investigating "German and Bolshevik Propaganda."

In 1943, Dr. Jalo Elias Nopola, a leader within the church, became the paper's editor, a position he would hold until the paper ceased publication in Ironwood. In 1964, the Finnish National Church merged with the Missouri Synod of Evangelical Lutheran Churches. In early 1965 the paper became a publication of the Missouri Synod. The Synod transformed the paper from a weekly publication into a monthly and relocated it from Ironwood to St. Louis, Missouri.

Provided by: Central Michigan University, Clark Historical Library