Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1770-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more
About The Clifton clarion. (Clifton, Graham County, A.T., Ariz.) 1883-1889
Clifton, Graham County, A.T., Ariz. (1883-1889)
- The Clifton clarion. : (Clifton, Graham County, A.T., Ariz.) 1883-1889
- Alternative Titles:
- Graham County news Oct 17, 1883
- Graham County times Oct. 17, 1883
- Place of publication:
- Clifton, Graham County, A.T., Ariz.
- Geographic coverage:
- D.L. Sayre & Co.
- Dates of publication:
- -v. 7, no. 20 (Aug. 28, 1889).
- Began Feb. 2, 1883.
- Arizona--Graham County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01212049
- Arizona--Greenlee County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01212051
- Clifton (Ariz.)--Newspapers.
- Graham County (Ariz.)--Newspapers.
- Greenlee County (Ariz.)--Newspapers.
- "Official County paper."
- Archived issues are available in digital format from the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- Description based on: Vol. 1, no. 27 (Aug. 1, 1883).
- Vol. 1, no, 38 (Oct 17, 1883) has on masthead: Graham County times, Vol. 2; and; Graham County news, Vol. 2.
- sn 94050557
- Preceding Titles:
- Succeeding Titles:
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
The Clifton clarion. January 21, 1885 , Image 1
The Clifton Clarion
D.L. Sayre became the first editor of the Clifton Clarion in 1883. Based in Clifton, Arizona, the Democratic paper changed to Republican during the control of its second editor, J. T. Fitzgerald, from 1885 to 1886. Around 1889, I.E. Solomon, Edward D. Tuttle, and John Glasby moved the paper to Solomonville. It was renamed theValley Bulletin, with George Kelly acting as editor. Previously, in 1887, Kelly had edited the paper, although he did not own it at that time. Now as owner, Kelly created the Bulletin Publishing Company and managed to acquire revenue quite rapidly. Kelly’s work on the paper continued for a solid 13 years, according to William H. Lyon’s Those Old Yellow Dog Days: Frontier Journalism in Arizona 1859-1912.
Lyon also describes how participation in political endeavors had certain negative ramifications for the Clarion. However, the Clarion apparently make a comeback, unlike other newspapers in similar circumstances. On April 12, 1890, Tucson’s Arizona Weekly Citizen wrote, “The Clifton Clarion has again come to life and is smiling and chipper after its long sleep. It promises to ignore all classes of political strife and work for the development of the country.” George Kelly sold the paper in 1903, at which time he established a new printing company with his son William B. Kelly. Editor Henry W. Bishop succeeded Kelly under the new company. The Clarion was succeeded by the Graham County Bulletin from 1890 to 1897, the Solomonville Arizona Bulletin from 1897 to 1918, and the Pima Gila Valley Farmer until 1923. After many changes in titles and editors, the newspaper continues today as the Safford Eastern Arizona Courier.
Provided by: Arizona State Library, Archives and Public Records; Phoenix, AZ