Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1789-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more
About The Florence tribune. [volume] (Florence, Ariz) 1892-1901
Florence, Ariz (1892-1901)
- The Florence tribune. [volume] : (Florence, Ariz) 1892-1901
- Place of publication:
- Florence, Ariz
- Geographic coverage:
- A.J. Doran
- Dates of publication:
- -v. 11, no. 1 (Dec. 28, 1901).
- Began in 1892.
- Florence (Ariz.)--Newspapers.
- Archived issues are available in digital format from the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- Description based on: Vol. 1, no. 34 (Aug. 25, 1892).
- Merged with: Arizona blade (Florence, Ariz. : 1900), to form: Arizona blade and the Florence tribune.
- sn 94050572
- Succeeding Titles:
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
The Florence Tribune
The Florence Tribune of Florence, Arizona, was established in 1892 as an Independent weekly by Paul and Eugene Brown, who edited and published the paper with George F. Meek as the business manager. Estelle Lutrell’s Newspapers and Periodicals of Arizona 1859-1911 documents three management changes for the paper.
The first came about when Meek was made editor and manager by an unnamed “corporation” in about 1894. Meek had a history in the newspaper business already, editing the Tombstone Epitaph and the Nogales Sunday Herald before arriving at the Florence Tribune. Meek’s career in newspapers began as a printer in Tucson and even included work at the San Francisco Examiner. Meek was a member of the Typographical Union for 30 years and ended his life at the Union Printer’s Home in Colorado Springs, Colorado, in 1908.
The next change occurred when William F. Cooper (later a judge in the Pima County Superior Court) was installed in the position. This transition ensued when Charles D. Reppy (who would later make a successful bid for the territorial legislature) purchased the Tribune in 1885. Like Meek, Lutrell also lists Charles D. Reppy as connected to the Epitaph from 1880 until 1882. Reppy was the editor that most embodied the spirit of the newspaperman entrenched in the political machine of Arizona.