About The Weston leader. [volume] (Weston, Umatilla County, Or.) 189?-1946
Weston, Umatilla County, Or. (189?-1946)
- The Weston leader. [volume] : (Weston, Umatilla County, Or.) 189?-1946
- Place of publication:
- Weston, Umatilla County, Or.
- Geographic coverage:
- Dates of publication:
- Ceased with v. 69, no. 20 (Nov. 15, 1946).
- Weston (Or.)--Newspapers.
- Absorbed by the Milton eagle.
- Also issued on microfilm from University of Oregon.
- Archived issues are available in digital format from the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- Description based on: Vol. 14, No. 26 (August 12, 1892).
- Latest issue consulted: Vol. 69, Number 20 (November 15, 1946).
- Some irregularities in numbering.
- sn 94052320
- Preceding Titles:
- Succeeding Titles:
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
Weston Weekly Leader and The Weston Leader
The Weston Weekly Leader was launched on December 7, 1878, in Weston, Oregon, by William L. Black and Paul D'Heirry. An early standout on the paper's staff was Harry "Harrie" L. Bowmer. By the time Bowmer joined the Weston Weekly Leader, he was already prominent in the newspaper industry. Previously, Bowmer had worked at the Walla-Walla (Washington) Daily Statesman, Pomeroy Republican, Weekly Oregonian, Milton Eagle, and Pendleton Tribune.
In its second year, W.T. Williamson and G.P. McColl took over, publishing the Weston Weekly Leader at home. Williamson and McColl expanded the layout of the paper from a six- to a seven-column folio. They also changed it from a politically independent paper to a Democratic one. The Weston Weekly Leader featured illustrated works of fiction, comics, and advertisements for a variety of medical remedies. Among the recurring sections in the paper were "Brevities," "Weston Schools," "Weston 4h Clubs," and "Oregon State News of General Interest."
The Weston Weekly Leader saw many publishers and editors, starting with Black and D'Heirry in 1878, Williamson and McColl in 1879, and McColl alone in 1883. Felix R. Mitchell ran the paper in 1886, Martin A. Baker and Emsley Ridenour in 1888, Baker alone in 1889, Foster and Boyd in 1890, and Bowmer in 1891. In 1893, under M.J. Harvey, the Weekly Leader underwent a name change and was called the Philistine. It became the Weston Weekly Leader once more in 1896, when Clark Wood took over. Wood left in 1913, lured away by Charles Samuel "Sam" Jackson, founder of the Oregon Journal. After a year, Wood returned to the Weston Weekly Leader, writing, "In the city, the average man is a unit, in the country an individual."
The oft-quoted Clark Wood put Weston, a small town in Umatilla County, Oregon, on the map. Editorial short writing became his main preoccupation, and Wood's smart paragraphs made the Weston Weekly Leader famous throughout the state. Wood's quips appeared in Literary Digest's "Topics in Brief" more than five hundred times (History of Oregon Literature, page 526). Tragically, the Weston Weekly Leader's plant was destroyed by fire twice. The second fire took place in 1895, and all files prior to that date were lost.
Provided by: University of Oregon Libraries; Eugene, OR