About Columbus daily courier. [volume] (Columbus, N.M.) 1920-1920
Columbus, N.M. (1920-1920)
- Columbus daily courier. [volume] : (Columbus, N.M.) 1920-1920
- Place of publication:
- Columbus, N.M.
- Geographic coverage:
- Kilgore & Burkhead
- Dates of publication:
- -v. 1, no. 94 (July 31, 1920).
- Began in April 1920.
- Columbus (N.M.)--Newspapers.
- Luna County (N.M.)--Newspapers.
- New Mexico--Columbus.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01230621
- New Mexico--Luna County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01213114
- Also on microfilm: El Paso, Tex. : Southwest Micropublishing, Inc.
- Archived issues are available in digital format as part of the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- Description based on: Vol. 11, no. 14 (Apr. 10, 1920).
- Issues for Apr. 12-July 31, 1920 called v. 1, no. 7-94.
- sn 94056836
- Preceding Titles:
- Succeeding Titles:
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
"Columbus is the only port of entry and Natural gateway from Old Mexico into New Mexico," the Columbus Courier declared on its front page on December 28, 1917. Columbus became famous as the town Mexican revolutionary Pancho Villa raided on March 9, 1916. Columbus lies in Luna County just three miles north of the border with Mexico and 30 miles south of Deming. Originally occupied by Mimbres Indians, the area was resettled around 1890, and the community served as a border station for persons crossing to and from Palomas in Chihuahua, Mexico. Pancho Villa State Park and local museums commemorate the raid on the town by Villa, whom some view as a hero while others regard as a bandit. The rationale for the dawn raid remains an enigma. The incursion was not successful, and Villa and his men soon fled south across the border. A few days later, General John Joseph "Blackjack" Pershing led 10,000-15,000 U.S. troops into Mexico in an equally unsuccessful expedition. The state park in Columbus became the only public park in the United States to be named after a foreign invader when it was created in 1959 to signify peaceful relations between the two nations. The Governor of Chihuahua donated sycamore trees to line a lane in the park which became known as Avenida de Amistad or "Avenue of Friendship."
The Columbus Courier, a weekly, commenced publication on June 25, 1911, and continued through January 7, 1921. The Columbus News preceded the Columbus Courier and the Columbus Mirror succeeded it. The June 30, 1911 edition explained that the Mitchell Company published the Courier, which it described as "A Small Enterprise Well Kept," under the direction of Editor Jesse Mitchell, serving "the Interest of Columbus and the Lower Mimbres Valley." A subscription cost $1.00 per year in advance or $1.25 per year if not in advance. Foreign (i.e., Mexican) subscribers could obtain the Courier for 50 cents extra per year. On January 1, 1914, then editor and publisher L. L. Lewis made a plea for advertisers to help support the newspaper, which in turn would promote prosperity in the valley. Farming was the main economic activity in the area, and the Courier primarily covered agricultural news in its early years. By 1917, a subscription cost $1.50 per year, 75 cents for six months, or 40 cents for three months with no mention of foreign delivery options.
The Columbus Daily Courier began publication in April 1920, declaring itself the "Only Daily in Luna County." Edited by Wilson Kilgore, the paper lasted only three months before reverting to weekly publication under the name, the Columbus Weekly Courier.
Provided by: University of New Mexico