About Fernandina news-record. [volume] (Fernandina, Fla.) 1910-1920
Fernandina, Fla. (1910-1920)
- Fernandina news-record. [volume] : (Fernandina, Fla.) 1910-1920
- Place of publication:
- Fernandina, Fla.
- Geographic coverage:
- S.W. Manucy
- Dates of publication:
- Began in 1910?; ceased in 1920.
- Fernandina (Fla.)--Newspapers.
- Florida--Nassau County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01218432
- Nassau County (Fla.)--Newspapers.
- Description based on: Vol. 48, no. 17 (Mar. 2, 1911).
- Latest issue consulted: Vol. 33, no. 10 (Feb. 6, 1920).
- The current News-Leader [LCCN: sn78002171] published in Fernandina (FL) bills itself as "Florida's oldest weekly newspaper". The News-Leader traces its lineage back to the original Fernandina (FL) News [LCCN: sn95026700], a semiweekly and sometimes triweekly. Between 1894 and 1896, the Fernandina News was edited by S.W. Manucy. The Fernandina News, edited by Manucy, continued as simply the News [LCCN: sn95047163] until 1910. Manucy served as Tax Assessor for Nassau County, Florida throughout his tenure as editor. In 1910, the Fernandina News merged with the Fernandina (FL) Record [LCCN: sn95026708] (published 1907-1910) to become the Fernandina (FL) News-Record [LCCN: sn95026702], continuing under this title until 1920 when another merger yielded the Nassau County (FL) Leader and Fernandina News-Record [LCCN: sn95026704]. This long title was shortened, in 1925, to the Nassau County (FL) Leader [LCCN: sn95026701], which published until 1939 when the paper's name reverted to Fernandina News [LCCN: sn95047162], now edited by Howard Davis. In the late 1940s, the Fernandina News became the Fernandina News-Leader [LCCN: sn95026705] and subsequently the Fernandina Beach (FL) News-Leader [LCCN: sn95026706], a weekly published from 1959 through 1980 by John H. Perry and edited by E.R. Maples. In 1980 the paper became known simply as the News-Leader. --E. Kesse, University of Florida Digital Library Center.
- sn 95026702
- Preceding Titles:
- Succeeding Titles:
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
Fernandina News, The News, The Fernandina Record, Fernandina News-Record and the Nassau County Leader (Fernandina, FL)
The Fernandina Beach News-Leader bills itself as “Florida’s oldest weekly newspaper.” It traces its lineage back to the Fernandina News, a semiweekly and sometimes triweekly paper that began publication in the 1890s and before that to Fernandina’s Florida Mirror . Fernandina Beach, as Fernandina is known today, sits along the northeastern boundary of Florida and Georgia on Amelia Island, located on the mouth of the St. Mary’s River. By the turn of the 20th century, Fernandina had been transformed from a garrison town into the first stop for northern tourists in Florida. The local economy was bolstered during the Spanish-American War, and for several years afterward Fernandina retained its gateway status. The town’s star began to fade with the reconstruction of Jacksonville in the wake of the Great Fire of 1901 and the subsequent opening of Jacksonville’s port in the deep waters of the St. Johns River.
Between 1894 and 1896, the Fernandina News was edited by S.W. Manucy, who also served as tax assessor for Nassau County. Until 1910, the paper was simply called the News. In that year, it merged with the Fernandina Record to become the Fernandina News-Record, which in turn lasted until 1920 when another merger yielded the Nassau County Leader and Fernandina News-Record. This long title was shortened in 1925 to the Nassau County Leader. In 1939, the paper was renamed the Fernandina News.
Provided by: University of Florida