The Library of Congress > Chronicling America > The news.

Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1789-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more

Title:
The news. [volume] : (Fernandina, Fla.) 1???-1910
Place of publication:
Fernandina, Fla.
Geographic coverage:
  • Fernandina, Nassau, Florida  |  View more titles from this: City County, State
Publisher:
S.W. Manucy
Dates of publication:
1???-1910
Description:
  • Ceased in 1910?
Frequency:
Weekly
Language:
  • English
Subjects:
  • Fernandina (Fla.)--Newspapers.
  • Florida--Fernandina.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01219290
  • Florida--Nassau County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01218432
  • Nassau County (Fla.)--Newspapers.
Notes:
  • Description based on: Vol. 25, no. 21 (Aug. 3, 1900).
  • Latest issue consulted: Vol. 47, no. 40 (Aug. 18, 1910).
  • Numbering is irregular.
  • The current News-Leader [LCCN: sn78002171] published in Fernandina, Florida bills itself as "Florida's oldest weekly newspaper." The News-Leader traces its lineage back to the original Fernandina (FL) News [LCCN: sn95026700], a semiweekly and sometimes triweekly edited by S.W. Manucy from 1894 to 1896. Manucy, by the turn of the 20th century, would also serve as Nassau County (FL) Assessor of Taxes. The Fernandina News, edited by Manucy, continued as simply the News [LCCN: sn95047163] until 1910. It then merged with the Fernandina (FL) Record [LCCN: sn95026708] (published from 1907 to 1910) to become the Fernandina (FL) News-Record [LCCN: sn95026702], continuing under this title until 1920. Another merger in 1920 yielded the Nassau County (FL) Leader and Fernandina News-Record [LCCN: sn95026704]. This long title was shortened, in 1925, to the Nassau County (FL) Leader [LCCN: sn95026701], which published until 1939 when the paper's name reverted to Fernandina News [LCCN: sn95047162], now edited by Howard Davis. In the late 1940s, the Fernandina News became the Fernandina (FL) News-Leader [LCCN: sn95026705] and subsequently the Fernandina Beach (FL) News-Leader [LCCN: sn95026706]. The Fernandina Beach News-Leader was a weekly, published from 1959 until 1980 by John H. Perry and edited by E.R. Maples. In 1980, the newspaper became known simply as the News-Leader. Present day Fernandina Beach, Florida sits along the north-eastern boundary of the states of Florida and Georgia on Amelia Island (FL) at the mouth of the St. Marys River in Nassau County. By the turn of the 20th century, Fernandina had been transformed from a garrison town during the Seminole and Civil Wars to a first stop in Florida for northern tourists. Its economy, between 1898 and 1902, was bolstered also by the Spanish American War and the Cuban Revolution against colonial Spain in particular. While Fernandina would retain its gateway status for much of the first decade of the 20th century, its star would begin to fade with the reconstruction of Jacksonville (FL) in the wake of the Great Fire of 1901 and the subsequent opening of the Port of Jacksonville in the deep waters of the St. Johns River to the south of Nassau County.--E. Kesse, University of Florida Digital Library Center.
LCCN:
sn 95047163
OCLC:
33141692
Preceding Titles:
Succeeding Titles:
Holdings:
View complete holdings information

Fernandina News, The News, The Fernandina Record, Fernandina News-Record and the Nassau County Leader (Fernandina, FL)

The Fernandina Beach News-Leader bills itself as “Florida’s oldest weekly newspaper.” It traces its lineage back to the Fernandina News, a semiweekly and sometimes triweekly paper that began publication in the 1890s and before that to Fernandina’s Florida Mirror . Fernandina Beach, as Fernandina is known today, sits along the northeastern boundary of Florida and Georgia on Amelia Island, located on the mouth of the St. Mary’s River. By the turn of the 20th century, Fernandina had been transformed from a garrison town into the first stop for northern tourists in Florida. The local economy was bolstered during the Spanish-American War, and for several years afterward Fernandina retained its gateway status. The town’s star began to fade with the reconstruction of Jacksonville in the wake of the Great Fire of 1901 and the subsequent opening of Jacksonville’s port in the deep waters of the St. Johns River.

Between 1894 and 1896, the Fernandina News was edited by S.W. Manucy, who also served as tax assessor for Nassau County. Until 1910, the paper was simply called the News. In that year, it merged with the Fernandina Record to become the Fernandina News-Record, which in turn lasted until 1920 when another merger yielded the Nassau County Leader and Fernandina News-Record. This long title was shortened in 1925 to the Nassau County Leader. In 1939, the paper was renamed the Fernandina News.

Provided by: University of Florida