About The new enterprise. (Madison, Fla.) 1901-1908
Madison, Fla. (1901-1908)
- The new enterprise. : (Madison, Fla.) 1901-1908
- Place of publication:
- Madison, Fla.
- Geographic coverage:
- Dates of publication:
- Vol. 1, no. 1 (Sept. 5, 1901)-v. 7, no. 42 (June 18, 1908).
- Florida--Madison County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01215098
- Madison (Fla.)--Newspapers.
- Madison County (Fla.)--Newspapers.
- "Official organ Board of County Commissioners."
- A weekly that billed itself as the "Official Organ of the Board of County Commissioners," the New Enterprise [LCCN: sn95047178] began publishing in 1901 and continued through 1908. The newspaper was edited by Columbus B. Smith in Madison (FL), the seat of Madison County (FL) government. The New Enterprise reported on the Cuban Revolution against colonial Spain during its early years. Madison County's soldiers, fighting in the Spanish-American War, were stationed in Cuba, then fighting for its independence. Smith, a Georgia native born in 1843, remained as editor following a merger with the Madison (FL) Recorder (1865-1908) [LCCN: sn84022777] that resulted in the Enterprise-Recorder [LCCN: sn95047179]. By 1933, this newspaper was known as the Madison (FL) Enterprise-Recorder [LCCN: sn95047180] and continues as a weekly through the present (ca. 2008), published by Emerald Kinsley of Greene Publishing, Inc. Several members of the Greene family work at the paper and for the affiliated Madison County (FL) Carrier [LCCN: sn96027683], also a weekly. The small city of Madison is located in North Florida. It was founded 2 May 1838 on land secured from Madison C. Livingston. Located about fifty miles east of Florida's capital city, Tallahassee, Madison was a political and agricultural center during Florida's early history and remains an agricultural area today. Madison County, established in 1827, was named for James Madison, fourth President of the United States of America. From the 1880s onward, the city of Madison was connected to Tallahassee and markets in other cities in Florida, Alabama and Georgia. But, in 1906, the Augusta Southern Railway connected Augusta, Georgia to Madison, Florida for the purpose of enhancing commerce along a north/south line throughout Georgia. The new line opened new markets to the city and county.--E. Kesse, University of Florida Digital Library Center.
- Archived issues are available in digital format as part of the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- Columbus B. Smith, editor.
- sn 95047178
- Succeeding Titles:
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
New Enterprise and Enterprise-Recorder
Located near the border with Georgia, about fifty miles east of Tallahassee, Madison was a political and agricultural center during the early period of Florida’s development. From the 1880s onward, Madison was connected to markets in Tallahassee and the surrounding region. The completion in 1906 of the Augusta Southern Railway extended commercial ties to Georgia. Nevertheless, Madison remained a sleepy country town. In 1912, the first movie theater opened and electricity was introduced the following year. Beginning in 1924, Madison commenced paving its roads.
The New Enterprise was published in Madison from 1901 to 1908. Its editor was Columbus B. Smith, a Georgia native. The Enterprise-Recorder was formed in 1908 through the merger of the New Enterprise and the Madison Recorder . Smith continued on as editor of the new weekly. The New Enterprise had billed itself as the “Official Organ of the Board of [Madison] County Commissioners,” and the Enterprise-Recorder to some extent maintained this purpose. By 1933, the paper’s name was changed to the Madison Enterprise-Recorder , a title which continues to the present.
Provided by: University of Florida