Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1777-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more
About The Chipley banner. (Chipley, Washington County, Fla.) 1893-1943
Chipley, Washington County, Fla. (1893-1943)
- The Chipley banner. : (Chipley, Washington County, Fla.) 1893-1943
- Place of publication:
- Chipley, Washington County, Fla.
- Geographic coverage:
- C. Tharp & Co.
- Dates of publication:
- Began in 1893; ceased in 1943.
- Chipley (Fla.)--Newspapers.
- Florida--Washington County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01215224
- Washington County (Fla.)--Newspapers.
- Archived issues are available in digital format from the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- Description based on: Vol. 1, no. 2 (July 15, 1893).
- In 1882, the small West Florida community of Orange was founded in anticipation of a railroad to connect the farming area with markets in the Florida cities of Pensacola and Tallahassee and cities in Alabama and Georgia. Shortly after the railroad arrived, the town was renamed Chipley in honor of William D. Chipley, vice-president of the Pensacola and Atlantic Railroad, a notable figure in the political and economic history of the area, and an aggressive lobbyist for railroad land grants. The town's first newspaper, the Intelligencer [LCCN: not known to exist], edited by J.C. Langley, was also begun in 1882. The paper was renamed the Chipley Banner [LCCN: sn95047263] in 1893 and published under this name until 1943 when it merged with the Washington County (FL) News [LCCN: sn81000810], also published in Chipley from May 1931 and continuing under that title today (ca. 2007). "The town that was built on a railroad," Chipley is the county seat of Washington County, located inland in Florida's Panhandle south of the Alabama state line. The current Washington County News is a weekly published by Maurice Pujol and owned by Chipley Newspapers, Inc. With a circulation just over 2,000, the paper is affiliated with the Holmes County (FL) Advertiser [LCCN: sn95047240], published in Bonifay, Florida, also published by Chipley Newspapers, Inc., and owned by Pujol.--E. Kesse, University of Florida Digital Library Center.
- Latest issue consulted: Vol. 36, no. 52 (Jan. 24, 1929).
- sn 95047263
- Succeeding Titles:
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
“The town that was built on a railroad,” Chipley is the seat of Washington County, located inland in Florida’s Panhandle, just south of the Alabama state line. First known as Orange, this small West Florida community was founded in 1882 in anticipation of the arrival of a railroad that would connect the farming area with markets in Pensacola and Tallahassee and in neighboring Alabama and Georgia. Shortly after the line was completed, Orange was renamed Chipley in honor of William D. Chipley, vice-president of the Pensacola and Atlantic Railroad, a notable figure in the political and economic history of the area and an aggressive lobbyist for railroad land grants.
The town’s first newspaper, the Intelligencer, edited by J.C. Langley, also began in 1882. The Intelligencer was renamed the Chipley Banner in 1893 and published under this name until 1943, when it merged with the Washington County News.
Provided by: University of Florida