Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1789-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more
About The San Mateo item. (San Mateo City, Putnam County, Fla) 189?-19??
San Mateo City, Putnam County, Fla (189?-19??)
- The San Mateo item. : (San Mateo City, Putnam County, Fla) 189?-19??
- Alternative Titles:
- Place of publication:
- San Mateo City, Putnam County, Fla
- Geographic coverage:
- John A. Crosby
- Dates of publication:
- Florida--Putnam County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01214942
- Florida--San Mateo (Putnam County)--fast--(OCoLC)fst01320979
- Putnam County (Fla.)--Newspapers.
- San Mateo (Putnam County, Fla.)--Newspapers.
- Archived issues are available in digital format as part of the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- Description based on: Vol. 4, no. 15 (Feb. 16, 1895).
- F.A. Bailey, editor.
- Latest issue consulted: Vol. 20, no. 45 (Aug. 26, 1911).
- The San Mateo (FL) Item [LCCN: sn95047348] began publishing in 1891. It is unknown when the newspaper ceased publication but holdings for 1913 are reported in the Putnam County (FL) Archives. The title was alternately and periodically published under the title, the Item. Putnam County, located in northeastern Florida on the St. Johns River, sustained agricultural activities. These activities and recreational pursuits were covered heavily by the San Mateo Item. The County's various hamlets took advantage of the more than 1,000 ponds and lakes and approximately 100 miles of access to the St. Johns River. This area was quite popular with tourists, especially bass fishermen. Today (ca. 2007), San Mateo is an unincorporated community. But in its heyday, San Mateo was a promising hamlet. Its coverage of sport was of sufficient note for occasional editorial coverage by the British press; see, for example, the Outing, v.19 (1891/92), p. 80. The Outing, a sport magazine published in London (UK), complained that the Item had reprinted an article without credit. The Outing asserted that its enterprise was dedicated in part to distributing "articles likely to attract the sportsman to Florida". Apparently, San Mateo was worth watching. --E. Kesse, University of Florida Digital Library Center.
- sn 95047348
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
San Mateo Item
The San Mateo Item began publishing in 1891. F.A. Bailey was one of its early editors. The paper periodically appeared under the title of the Item. It is unknown when the San Mateo Item finally ceased publication, but holdings are reported in the Putnam County Archives for 1913.
San Mateo is located in Putnam County in northeastern Florida. The area sustained various agricultural activities about which the San Mateo Item reported. San Mateo was also well known for its recreational opportunities, having more than a thousand ponds and lakes and approximately one hundred miles of access to the St. Johns River, especially attractive to bass fishermen. Sporting activities were of sufficient note to merit coverage by the British press. The Outing, a London sports magazine, complained in its 1891-92 issue that the Item had reprinted one of its articles without credit. The Outing asserted that its enterprise was dedicated in part to distributing “articles likely to attract the sportsman to Florida.” Apparently, San Mateo was worth watching.
Provided by: University of Florida