Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1789-1949 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more
About The university news. (Gainesville, Fla.) 1906-190?
Gainesville, Fla. (1906-190?)
- The university news. : (Gainesville, Fla.) 1906-190?
- Place of publication:
- Gainesville, Fla.
- Geographic coverage:
- Dates of publication:
- Vol. 1, no. 1 (Oct. 19, 1906)-
- Alachua County (Fla.)--Newspapers.
- Florida--Alachua County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01214687
- Gainesville (Fla.)--Newspapers.
- Archived issues are available in digital format as part of the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- Editor: A. Clyde Evans, 1906; Sam A. Sanborn, <1907>.
- Latest issue consulted: Vol. 1, no. 10 (Apr. 27, 1907).
- The University News [LCCN: sn96027438] was published for the target audience of the newly formed University of Florida and it student body in Gainesville, Florida. The University of Florida moved to Gainesville in 1906 from Ocala, Florida. While in Ocala, the University had been a theological seminary, the University formed in Gainesville as a school for men with, in part, a military focus. Though the University News lasted just two years and published only semimonthly, it was the one of the first student newspapers in Florida. Its editors were A. Clyde Evans in 1906 and Sam A. Sanborn in 1907. Nothing is definitively known about either editor. Both were likely students of the University. Military records maintained by the Florida State Archives and Library suggest that Evans became an officer in the U.S. Army serving in World War I in France near the Marne River. The University News was eventually succeeded by the Florida Alligator [LCCN: sn96027439], a student- produced newspaper, which lasted from 1912 to 1973, when it became the Independent Florida Alligator [LCCN: sn86010448], which is still published (ca. 2008). By the time of the Florida Alligator's founding, the University of Florida had moved to a new location, then on the edge of Gainesville, and had broadened its educational mission. --E. Kesse, University of Florida Digital Library Center.
- sn 96027438
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
The Gainesville University News was published on a semimonthly basis by and for students at the newly formed University of Florida. In 1906, the University moved to Gainesville from Ocala, where it had been a theological seminary. The new university was initially a school for men only, with, in part, a military focus. Though the University News lasted just two years, it was one of the first student newspapers in Florida. Its editors were A. Clyde Evans and Sam A. Sanborn.
The University News was eventually succeeded by the Florida Alligator another student-produced newspaper, which ran from 1912 to 1973, when it became the Independent Florida Alligator. In 1912, the University of Florida had moved to a new location, then on the edge of Gainesville, and had broadened its educational mission.
Provided by: University of Florida