About The Sneedville news. (Sneedville, Tenn.) 191?-19??
Sneedville, Tenn. (191?-19??)
- The Sneedville news. : (Sneedville, Tenn.) 191?-19??
- Place of publication:
- Sneedville, Tenn.
- Geographic coverage:
- Walter C. Pollard
- Dates of publication:
- Hancock County (Tenn.)--Newspapers.
- Sneedville (Tenn.)--Newspapers.
- Tennessee--Hancock County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01203411
- Archived issues are available in digital format from the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- Description based on: Vol. 1, no. 45 (July 11, 1913).
- Numbering restarted with: Vol. 1, no. 1 (Apr. 1, 1921).
- Numbering restarted with: Vol. 1, no. 1 <Oct. 1916>
- Publishers: Walter C. Pollard, <1913>; Henry Greene, <1916-1919>; Quincy F. Buttry, 1921; Williams & Darnell, <1922>
- Suspended: <Dec. 30, 1921-Apr. 27, 1922>
- sn 97065558
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
The Sneedville News
According to the 1914 edition of Rowell’s Newspaper Directory, the Sneedville News was established in 1912 in Hancock County, Tennessee. Walter C. Pollard was listed in the paper as editor, publisher, and owner. By 1916, Henry Greene took over as editor and publisher. The Sneedville News provided local news alongside articles purchased from national newspaper syndicates, mainly covering agricultural topics. The paper included reports from communities around the county such as Treadway, Luther, and Idol, and were usually submitted under pseudonyms such as Two Chums, Jolly Girl, and Three Sisters. During the First World War, the News published reports of the war, as well as letters from local soldiers stationed overseas, and occasionally editorial cartoons. Department of Agriculture announcements encouraged readers to do their bit for the war effort by growing the right crops, cutting food waste, and buying war bonds.
The Sneedville News began as a Republican paper, but in the spring of 1921, the new owner/editor, Quincy F. Buttry (formerly of the Republican Hancock Times), declared that the paper would take an independent stance. The editor’s announcement on April 1, 1921, asserted that, "The political compexin [sic] of the News will not be in the future as it has been in the past 'Republican.' But will be 'Indipendent' [sic] and all parties and factions shall have equal rights in its columns." Buttry remained at the helm of the paper until December 1921; then, without notice, the News disappeared for several months. When the paper reappeared on May 5, 1922, the new owner/editors, George A. Williams and Roy O. Darnell, assured readers that under their management the paper would not fail. They confessed to being Democrats, but guaranteed that they would keep the newspaper neutral, and would even "help a Republican candidate provided he is our choice for the office and a good man."
It is believed that the News ceased publication in 1923. There are very few extant newspapers from Hancock County, even from more recent years. At the time of writing (2016), the Tennessee Press Association does not list any newspapers currently published in Hancock County.
Provided by: University of Tennessee