Newspaper Page Text
NEWS AND CITIZEN, THURSDAY, AUGUST 16, 1894.
4 News and Citizen, MORRIS VI LLE and HYDE PARK. X. H. LEWIS, - RDITOH. The state Prohibition ticket was not filed with the Secretary of State ju season and so to vote that ticket the names will have to be written in. While workingmen praise Senator Smith of New Jersey for his remarks on the tariff, his Democratic constit uents have denounced him in mass convention. These are funny times in the political arena. Even in Tennessee the Democrats liave met with reverses which stagger them. This is the regular story now wherever an election is held. And the New York Herald very truthfully eajs: "There is no indication that the trend of popular feeling will change in the near future." The execution of Caserio, who mur dered the President of France, will probably take place in a fortnight, so that the final action in the drama in which the anarchist took a leading part, will occur less than two months from the date of the assassination of Carnot, which took place on June 24. Justice in France is both sure and ewift. For the benefit of Lamoille county voters, we will state that the Repub lican and Democratic county tickets have been filed according to law. The Republican nominations were in the county clerk's office July 17 and the Democratic Aug. 4. The latter had 110 time to spare that day being the very last in which they could be le gally filed. The centennial celebration at Stowe last week "Wednesday was a decided euccess. There was a large atten dance, estimated at upwards of five thousand, yet the best of order pre vailed. The parade was tirst-class, the literary exercises decidedly inter esting, and in fact everything con nected with theevent passed off pleas antly. Well done, Stowe! For cen tennial celebrations you are entitled to the palm. Through the carelesnees of its com mittees the Windham county Demo cratic ticket will not be printed on the official ballot this year and the Republican county ticket in Caledo nia county must be left off of that county's official ballot. The law provides that nominations must be filed with the County Clerk thirty days before election, and in both cases the trine had gone by when they were presented. To vota either of those tickets at the September elec tion it will be necessary for the voters , to write in the entire list of candi dates. It is a great blunder and will doubtless cause a loss of many votes. The House has surrendered to the demands of the Senate and accepts the tariff bill as doctored by that body. This is the measure which President Cleveland denounced as "party perfidy and dishonor." There were many strong protests against it, notably by Bourke Cockran, the leading Democrat from New York, who pronounced it "the most dis graceful page in American history." Tom Reed and others spoke against it,, but the party whip was vigor ously applied and the measure passed by a vote of 182 to 105. All eyes are now turned toward Cleve land to see if he wilt swallow his own IFords and sign this iniquitous meas ure or leave it alone and allow it to become a law in ten days, : Strength and Health. If you are not feeling strong and .healthy, try Electric Bitters. If "La Grippe" has left you weak and weary use Electric Bitters. This remedy - acts directly on Liver, Stomach and Kidneys, gently aiding those organs to perform their functions. If you are afflicted with Sick Headache, you will find speedy and permanent relief . by taking Electric Bitters. One trial f will convince you that this is therem f. edy you need. Large bottles only J50c. at H. J. Dwinell's drug store. NORTH WOLCOTT, Miss May Ucjal is home on a visit. Mrs. Fred Lunt is home visiting her parents. Albert Russ of Mass., ie home visiting rela tivee and friends. Georire Ferry and wifebave been in Hvde Tark the past week. " Albany the past week. Josie and Daisy Peck of Garfield, are the guests of A. N. Boynton. Mrs. Frank Wilkins of Clarendon, visited 'if t I. H. Silloway's recently. Rev. Mrs. Smith and daughter Bertha, have ,' returned to Fairfax from a visit at H. C. ' Baldwin's. Mr. and Mrs. .Tohn Carnes of Lima, Ohio, . also Mrs. Jane Reynolds of Mass., sisters of J)aniel Baldwin, are guests of H. C. Baldwin. Mr. and Mrs. Benjamin Campbell have been making their annual visit attlieirdaughters', Jlrs. A. N. Boynton and Mia. A. O. Andrews. George Bedell has sold his farm to Lorenzo . Woody. Mr. B. has rented end moved to the hotwie called the l'eake farm on' the Mor risvills road. STOWE'S CENTENNIAL. (Continued from First Pare-) have received a very warm reception. The committee had made a contract with him for a tent and at the elev enth hour he backed out. Throuzhthe efforts of Oliver Luce, however, Hock well's teLt was secured just in time. Governor Bingham was able to sit up, and he witnessed the parade from the front pnh of hie house. The Governor always has a plensant smile and a kind word for all, and on this occasion he was the recipient of many congratulations from friends. The Montpelier Band tendered him a serenade in the evening. Mr. Bing ham takes as great pride as ever in Stowe,and thoroughly enjoyed the celebration. The following residents, all eigh ty or more years old, were seen in the parade: Wm. and Lovisa Raymond, Harriet Straw, Mrs. Sleep er, Sullivan Stock well and wife (who have passed their 66th marriage an niversary),A.C.Lamson and wife.Lew Muzzy, Mrs. Guiett, L. B. Smith, J. W. Macutchan, Capt. Eben Barrows, Asa Raymond, Mrs. Truman Thomp son, Mrs. Davis, II. D. Calkins, Mrs. Boult, Mrs. M. C. Raymond, Mr. and Mrs. C. R. Watts. lion. Geor?e Villeins' Hiitoilcil A&dlCSS. . . - In his historical address, Hon. Geo. Wilkins made use only of topical re minders. As now, on special request, .reported by himself, he 6poke sub stantially as follows : Ladies and Gentlemen: To me is assigned the humble duty of recounting some of the incidents and occurrences connected with the early history of this town pf Stowe. In the time to which 1 am very prop erly limited.Tcan do so only in a very cursory manner. . Many things which in themselves considered are not important and hardly, worth no tice, by these relations quite impor tant and even interesting. The build ing of a house is an occurrence which, under ordinary circumstances would attract little attention, while, if it were the first building in a town, a log hut might possess for many peo ple a lively interest. In this large as sembly there must be a variety of tastes; what would be pleasing to some may be even distasteful to others. I can only exercise my judge ment in the hope that while I may al most disgust some, I may not wholly fail to please and gratify others. My work is simply narration the telling of a story in which there is no place for ambitious sentences or declamation, and shouting vocifera tion would be so inappropriate that it would become very embarrassing to me and disagreeable to you. A hundred years I In the life of an individual, a town, state, or a whole country, even, it is a long period. In the march of eternity, " still begin ning, never ending," it is but a point mere line. It is not, perhaps, easy for us to imagine that a hundred years ago and less, the place where we now are and the whole territory now travers ed by the main highway through this town, was a dark, deep, dense forest of mostly hemlock andspruce timber; that through it roamed the mighty, magnificent moose, with his stately antlers thrown back to prevent en tanglement with the tree tops, while his thunderous tread made the earth tremble; that through it rang the frightful howl of the half starved wolf pack, and the terrific scream of the fierce catamount and cougar; that in the shallow caves on these hillsides hybernated huge bears; and that withirvlOOrodsof this place the busy beaver had built his watery city his Venice. Yet, about a hundred years ago, no white man had disputed the possession of this territory with these "tenants of the woods." I may first speak of the extent of the territory of the town. Original ly it was that of most other towns in the State, 6 miles square. By' an act of the Legislature in 1848, the entire town of Mansfield was annexed to the town of Stowe on condition that both towns signified their assent by a vote, , which was obtained. ' This act of an nexation led to considerable litigar tion, an account of which, though! quite interesting to the 'speaker and might be so to others of his profes sion, is wholly omitted. In 1855, by another act of the Leg islature, a portion of the town of. Sterling was also annexed to the town of Stowe.;! By: these acts; it became one of the largest townships, if not the largest, in the State. Its area is supposed to be somewhat in excess of 50,000 acres of land. From the earliest ages its lower lands have been enriched by the washings of vegetable matter from the sides of the mountains by which it is surrounded, and in agricultural productiveness it is thought it would not stand at the foot in a class of six of the best towns in Vermont.- How came Stowe to be a township? In 1863 the King of England, France and Ireland, defender of the faith, etc., George the Third, "by the grace of God," assumed to be sole Eroprietor of all this region ; and of is special grace, certain knowledge and mere motion, for the use and advantage of . settling a new plan tation, by his vice-Gerent, Benning Wentworth, Governor andCommand-er-in-Chief of the Province of New Hampshire, on the 8th day of June, 1703, granted to sixty-four propri etors on conditions and reservations specified, his title to the original township of Stowe. You may be curious as I was, to learn what those conditions and res ervations wei? . The flnt waa that each grantor should, within a term of live years, plant or cultivate five acres of land for each fifty acres of bis share; and be and hisheirsshould continue to cultivate and improve the pa me, on penalty of forfeiture. The second condition was that all pine trees fit for masting the Royal navy, should be carefully preserved and none be cut or felled without special license, subject to a penalty of forfeiture ; and also subject to a penalty for the violation of any Act of Parliament thereafterwards pass ed for their preservation. The third condition was that be fore any division among the trrant ees, there should be a portion of the township, as near the centre as prac ticable, set out into town lots, each grantee bavin? one. The fourth condition was that each grantee should, for ten years, pay an annual rent of one ear of corn. The filth condition was that each grantee or his heirs, should, after the expiration of ten years, pay an annual rent of one shilling proclama tion money, for each hundred acres of his grant. These conditions, eo carefully in serted, were probably not very strict ly complied with ; and long since be come mere matters of curiosity in history. As early as May, 1775, when our Ethan Allen tookTiconder oga and Crown Point, with 83 Green Mountain Boys, they became practically of no effect ; and in the peace of 1783 all claim of title or ju risdiction to this or any other terri tory in the United States, was ex pressly abandoned." So there is no remaining Royal shadow upon our title. The first meeting of the proprietors was held at Salsbury April 24, 1770; the next at Sharon in September fol lowing, where they continued to meet for several years after. Their first meeting in Stowe was held at the house of Lowden Case, Feb. 2, 1796. The town held its first March meet ing in 1797,which was called by Wm. Utley, a Justice of the Peace, when the town was duly organized. The firstsett'.ementwascommenced by Oliver Luce late in the winter of 1794. He was a native of Martha's Vinevard. His wife, whose maiden name was Susannah Mulicon, was a native of Plainfield, Vt. Mr. Luce was a man nearly 30 years of age, full six feet, of brawny build, and florid complexion, with a voice like a bass drum. At the time of his settle ment he resided at Hartland, Vt., from which place he came, accompa nied by his wife, with a pair of horses and sleigh to Waterbury, to the "Joshua Hill place," some six miles from Stowe. There was only a bridle path to this place and the snow was deep and untrodden. Hewasanxious to be the first settler and started with a handsled, on which he tied a little bedding, his wife following; they wallowed their weary way into this town to a point nearly two miles from this village,where Cassiua Scrib ner now resides. Tradition is silent as to where or how well they slept that night, but it is presumed that after the fatigue of that day their Blumber was so sound that it was not disturbed by the "flying feet of the frightened deer," or the "hoo, hoo 1" of the drowsy owl. Mr. Luce built the first log house iu town, near the place already indicated, and was the first to entertain the travelers through this region. He cleared up the fine farm which has long been known as the "Scribner farm," and in 1808 or 9 he became discontented, as tradition has it, and sold out to Esty Russell for $2200. This, with some personal property, made him not only quite independent, but a man of proprty, for, that time. Seeking his fcrLune, he removed to Sharon.Vt., in which town and others in the vicinity he lived some 15 or 16 years, when, becoming poor, and fi nally convinced that Stowe was the best place in the world for a poor man, he returned here and pursued " the even tenor of his way " till the close of his life, "full of years," at 88. His was not the first or last mistake made by trying to find a " better land" in which to dwell than Stowe, though it has pi oved, in the career of many, to be a great town "to emi grate from." Captain Clement Moody moved in to Stowe with his family the very next day after Oliver Luce came. Some years after he built the first framed house in town, oh the farm, now owned by Azro C. Slayton. The first birth in town was Harry Lnce.theson of Oliver and Susannah. The first hotel in town, built for that purpose as well as a dwelling, was erected by Nathan Robinson, who settled here in 1798, on the farm now occupied by the son of Dr. T. B. Smith of N. Y. It was constructed of logs, 40 feet by 20, one story. The floor was made of split logs, split side up, adzed off to a level surface. The kitchen and bar-room were one apart ment, in which was one bed. The " square-room " had three beds, and the "chamber," reached by climbing a ladder, also had three beds. Nathan Robinson first represented the town in the Legislature of the State in 1801, and was several times thereafter elected to that office. . j The first marriage in town took place in the month of May in 1798. Notice of that marriage was publish ed at the raising of the first framed barn in town, of James Town, on the farm now occupied by Mortimer Brush The frame up, Josiah Hurburt, the town clerk, standing on one of the plates of the structure, cried : " Hear ye I Hear ye I Marriage is intended be tween Noah Churchill and Polly Mar shall, both of this town; God save the people."- Precisely what was im- flied by the'ast words is not certain, f they had been "God bless the pro spective pair," tbey would have been more easily understood. The first death in town occurred on the same day under the following distressing circumstances : William Utley, who then lived on the farm now occupied by Mrs. Bedell and her son Luther, went to the raising be fore mentioned, accompanied by bis son, a boy atout 12 3'eare of age, who rode on horseback behind his father. During the day a very heavy shower of rain had fallen, raising the streams, two of which they were obliged to cross on theirreturn, there leing no bridges. In fording one of them after dark, the boy slipped from the horse and was soon curried be yond the reach of his father. The night was dark and fearful, no help was nigh, and no effort was made to rescue him until morning, when he was found entangled in Borne flood wood not far from the place where he full. Mrs. Utley, the mother had taken occasion that day, to visit at the house of Lowden Case, a log dwelling on the site of the present beautiful residenceof Chas. R. Church ill. The high water prevented her re turning that evening, and she re mained at Mr. Case's over night. In the morning Mr. Utley came to the house of Mr. Case before Mrs. Utley had risen, and began to relate to the family what had occurred the night before. Mrs. Utley who slept in the chamber, hearing some words of her husband's, came rushing down the ladder in her night clothes, exclaim iug: "Is Willie dead? Is Willie dead ?" In 1798 there were twenty families in town. In 1803 the number of fam ilies had increased to ninety. The first mail route to Stowe was estab lished in 1816, and ran from Mont pelier to Johnson. Riverius Camp was the first postmaster, and about the same time was elected town clerk. The first school taught in town was opened by Thomas B. Downer, the first physician, in his own house, some pupils coming a distance of 3 miles. The first school taught in a school house, which was a log one. was instructed by Dr. Joseph Robin son. Both these school were taught at what was afterwards called "Puck er Street." The first schoolhouse was burned in 1817. Dr. Robinson open ed the first school in the Center Vil lage. The firsf hotel which was erected in what has since been called the Center Village was built by Samuel Dutton, a shoemaker by trade, on the site oc cupied by the destroyed Mount Mans field Hotel. He occupied the build ing for three years without doing ho tel business, when he sold to Nathan iel Butts, one of the early settlers, who first opened it as a hotel in 1814. At this time there were only 4 dwell ings within the present limits of the present Center Village a log house on the site of S. G. Atwood's present residence; a small frame house on the site of the residence of the widow of the late L. J. Town; the log house of Lowden Case, already mentioned, and a small frame house near the present residence of P. D. Pike, till recently owned by Mrs. Irving. At this time the road, about half a mile, between the Center and Lower Vil lages, was rough and stony, densely lined on either side with large forest trees of spruce and hemlock, and teams passed with great difficulty. In 1817 Mr. Butts sold his hotel to Col. Asa Raymond, who, after tank ing some improvements, and the ad dition of an ell for a store, moved his stock of goods from the North Vil lage and occupied the hotel as a pub lic house to the time of his death, which occurred in 1849. It evidently was the intent and ex pectation of the first settlers Ihitthe main village of the town would be in the vicinity of the first settlement, at what was afterwards called the North Village, and later, by way of derision, "Pucker Street." Many things fa vored the adoption of th:s locality for the principal village. The first settlements had been made there, un til there was quite a neighborhood. There was a good, handsome plot of land, sufficient for a broad street and the erection of all kinds of buildings-, public and private, which a good vil lage would ordinarily contain. No other location in the town afforded such a beautiful and extensivesurvey of , mountain Bcenery, nor any other town in Vermont, as could be taken in here with one sweep of the eye from " Sterling Peak " to "Camel's Hump," full 40 miles apart by mountain way. A good hotel was there, the large brick buildingnow owned and occupied by John Drugg. All the stores for the sale of general merchandise were there. But : all this did not suffice. Nature's laws are inexorable. No man and no as sociation of men can reach success without acting in conformity and harmony with them. What was the great want which overrode and con trolled all these advantages ?. Men, women and children must have food. They must have houses to protect them from storms and the severities of the seasons. They must have clothing to protect their bodies from the frosts and fierce winds, and the almost torrid heat of an often-changing climate. A raiment of fig leaves may suffice in some quarters of the globe, but not here. To produce these things of prime necessity in suf ficiency for a large society, many of its numbers engaged in other avoca tions than their production, the aid of machinery is indispensible. The grains must be ground, so that they can be made into bread; the timber must be sawed up, so that it can be made into buildings; the wool and the flax and cotton and other materi als for clothing must be worked into a form convenient lor that use. The hand of man alone cannot move that machinery or do the work by direct application. The great forces of nature mu-t be harnessed in to do that work, r it never can be done. Of all these lorces none is more effi cient, obvious, constant and certain in its operation, more all-pervading, safe and inexpensive in itsapplica-; tion, than gravitation. The water fall, perhaps, gives its most useful expression. There was no way to harness that, at, or near the North village. There was a place where that could be done and that was at the Lower or Mill village, where the falls of Waterbury river were. In 171)6 Josiah Hurburt erected a saw mill and grist mill un der one roof on the Waterbury river, where a dam was raised to obtain what is commonly called a head, but really to make available the tall of water towards thecpnterof the earth. In the course of a few enrs, these natural causes sent the main part of the business to the Lower village. Observing how thinss were working, t. ie dwellers at the North village, per il ips not fully perceiving the opera-, tion of causes, and influenced partly by a patriotic love for their village, and to some extent by a spirit of competition made, what were consid ered by dwellers in the Lower village as rather unwise and unsuccessful, ef forts to retain business and business men ; and in derision they called their waning village "Pucker Street." For quite a number of years the main part of the business was done at the Lower village. The post-office and the town clerk's office were there; a tannery was carried on there ; there was the clothing manufactury ; a large part of the trade was there. In 1815 Calvin Sartle built a good sized hotel there, on the site of the larger one erected by Thomas Down er in 1845, and now in the occupancy of Mrs. Isham. The main saw mill in town was there. At length causes began to operate which eventuated in making the Center village what it now is, the principal village of the town. Among those causes were these : This village is near the geographical center of the town ; all the roads come in here as naturally as if they could go nowhere else. The only church building which was occupied by all denominations, and also a town bouse was erected here. There was room for a broad street, and abundance of room on each side of it, and near it, for buildings of all kinds, public and private. Most of the shops and stores soon came here, with all the offices and residences of professional men. Soon after 1840 the post-office and the town clerk's office came here to remain. There was not sufficient room for the build ing up of such a village at the lower one if other causes had not intervened to work the change. Stowe has suffered severely from three epidemics. The first was dys entery. Among those who suffered was the only resident physician, T. B. Downer. Dr. Peabody of Montpe lier came here and remained two or three months ; and was employed day and night. In spite of all efforts to relieve, such was the fatality of the disease that one-eighth of the popu lation fell victims to it. This was in 1803 and it was probably the most gloomy time that the people of Stowe ever experienced. This was in the early settlement of the town and there was great discontent, many believing and talking that it must be a very unhealthy region. The gloom finally subsided as the people again took up their busy avocations and there followed a period of unusual exemption from sickness of any kind. In the late winter of 1843, erysipelas, of a very fatal type, pre vailed in town, and 54 persons, many of them prominent citizens, died of the disease. In the winter of 1856-7 Stowe was afflicted with one of the most fatal and contageous diseases to which human flesh is' heir. Probably no town of like population in the State or whole country ever suffered to the same extent. Late in the autumn or early winter a retired clergyman re turned from New York and was soon affected with an eruptive disease, which he called and probably thought was chicken pox. In his family was a grown-up daughter who soon after was affected in the same way, but was not much sick. Before the pus tules had quite disappeared she at tended church. She also attended singing school and an evening party. Subsequent events showed that the disease was a modified form of small pox, all of the family having been innoculated. The result was that in spite of all that could be done to prevent the spread of the disease (and vigorous measures were used) about a hundred persons were seized with it in the natural way or in the form of varioloid. For several weeks the face of society was very gloomy here. Business of all kinds came to a stand-still. Professional men did not go to their offices and the mer chants had no occasion to be at their counters. News of the contagion was spread all through the land. Travelers were seldom seen passing through our streets and when one did appear he drove very fast,looking this way and that, as if he knew "dangers were scattered thick through all the ground." There were but five deaths in all, two of them being cases of varioloid. There were many whose deep pitted faces showed how fearfully they had suffered and how narrowly they had escaped death. So great had been the suffering that many people felt very indignant towards the clergyman and he was compelled to hear observations which must have been very unpleasant for him to hear ; though it is probable that he did not consider himself so much in fault as some others did. In the year 181S the first church was erected on the site of the pres ent Unity church. The funds to de fray the expense of building it were raised by subscription, people of dif ferent denominational views jointly contributing. Col. Asahel Raymond deeded to the town the site, with the condition that all denominations in town which supported preaching should have the use of the house by turns. This privilege was enjoyed by the Congregationalists, Method ists, Universalists, Christians and Baptists for many years. There was a further condition that the house should be used for a town house.and thus save an expense which facilitated the obtaining of subscrip tions. During the use of the house as a place of public worship it was occu pied almost every Sabbath, summer and winter, and for about twelve years never was warmed, though the attend ance was excellent and services were uniformly held forenoon and after noon. Warm wraps and overshoes were not much in use then, but com plaints of suffering from cold were not more common than now, with all the modern improvements and appli ances for comfort. In 1862 or '63 this house was moved to its present location and fitted up for a town hall. In 1839 the Congregationalists erect ed the church they now occupy, and the Methodists erected their's in 1841. "The Stowe and Mansfield Meeting House Society" erected their church on the West' Branch in i84o,the necessary funds being raised by different denominations. All of these churches within a few years have been greatly improved.replanned, refitted and refurnished, so that they are now commodious and delightful places of public worship; And re ligious services are held in them all every Sabbath in the year. The Uni ty church was erected in 1863. The necessary funds were raised by a sale of the pews. It is a large sized, elegant structure, with a piazza or portico in front with four fluted col umns of Ionic style resting on granite bases, giving it a highly artistic ap pearance. The audience room is beautifully frescoed, enclosing 86 pews finely upholstered, and supplied with an organ which good judges have pronounced equal to any in the coun try of similar size. The basement room or vestry, is very large and has been found very convenient for the accommodation of very numerous assemblies. Before 1864 Gov. Bingham became the owner of what has since been called the "Old Mansfield Hotel " and the "Raymond Hotel." By his adroitness and shrewd management he succeeded in enlisting wealthy gentlemen in Boston and elsewhere in a scheme to build a summer hotel at this place. A charter of incorpo ration for the "Mount Mansfield Hotel Company," by the Legislature of the State was obtained in 1864. The work of erection thereafter pro ceeded with all needed vigor and means. The hotel as finally com pleted had a front and main building of 302 feet by 50, with three stories and an attic which itself was fronted by a mammouth piazza or portico. To this main building there were three or four ells, or wings, the larg est of which was 90 feet by 50, and five stories high. It was well and richly furnished and fitted up with modern improvements. It was prob ably as large as any hotel in the State, and it was claimed that it would accommodate 600 guests. What an immense fire it would make if burned ! Some regarded it as a a terrible menace to the entire village. On the 4th day of October, 1889, near midday as the people of the vil lage had just begun to partake of their dinner, the cry of Fire ! Fire !! came to their "affrighted ears." No fire engines, no considerable supply of water short of the river and brook, many rods away. The fire had commenced at the west end of the hotel in the third story and had made such progress that no one suggested the possibility of extinguish ing it, and all effort was directed to saving the furniture, which was main ly in the lower stories, and the Village from a general conflagration which seemed iminent. Every man, woman, and child who could crawl was astir. Two lines, one of men and boys, the other of women and girls, was formed from points most exposed to the river and others to the brook pond, a little nearer. The men and boys passed the pails of v.ater to the point where needed and the women and girls passed back the empty pails. The wind favored and not a building or shed was destroyed, though the fire took in many places. The efforts made in this emergency show ed well what kind of stuff Stowe peo ple are made of when fairly waked up and occasion requires. There was in that line of women and girls some who had been too sick and lame for weeks to go out doors. Yet they kept their places and worked for hours. I have often thought that if we had been well supplied with fire engines, we might, with too much de pendence on them, have looked on till the village would hav been in flames. The only public journal which was ever published in. town was edited and