Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1789-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more
About The Hood River glacier. (Hood River, Or.) 1889-1933
Hood River, Or. (1889-1933)
- The Hood River glacier. : (Hood River, Or.) 1889-1933
- Place of publication:
- Hood River, Or.
- Geographic coverage:
- Glacier Pub. Co.
- Dates of publication:
- Ceased in 1933?
- Vol. 1, no. 1 (June 8, 1889)-
- Hood River (Or.)--Newspapers.
- Oregon--Hood River.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01221354
- Also issued on microfilm from University of Oregon.
- Archived issues are available in digital format from the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- Latest issue consulted: Vol. 45, no. 23 (Nov. 3, 1933).
- sn 97071110
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
The Hood River Glacier
The first newspaper in Hood River, Oregon, the Hood River Glacier was established in 1889 by postmaster George T. Prather, who claimed in the issuing number that he was not seeking a fortune in the newspaper business. Playing on the publication's title, he wrote, "If the little Glacier will slide along slowly and grind out its own expenses we [the publishers] shall be satisfied." John H. Cradlebaugh, a poet who also worked on the Wasco Sun in nearby Dalles City, served as the paper's first editor.
Connections to the Sun proved beneficial as the first issues of the Glacier were printed in the Sun newspaper plant. The paper eventually found a plant in Hood River shortly after its establishment, a development that was announced in more than one issue. Cradlebaugh, who became the sole owner, sold the publication to Samuel F. Blyth in July 1894. Blyth expanded the Glacier and later included his son, Edward. By May of 1904, the paper was transferred to Arthur D. Moe, who installed a Simplex typesetter and brought on Joe D. Thomison as editor. The Glacier was eventually bought out by the Hood River News in 1933.
Early issues of the Glacier covered the development of infrastructure in the Hood River area, with articles on irrigation and the need for a reliable water supply appearing frequently. Other regional news included an account of the catastrophic 1899 fire in Seattle that burned 100 acres of the business district and waterfront, a total of 25 city blocks. A 1903 article detailed boundary negotiations between government officials and Yakima Indians. According to the Glacier, the Yakima Indian Reservation should have been more expansive, encompassing territory that was promised in an 1855 treaty.
In 1921, the Glacier reported on the kidnapping of the Millers, a local family, by Luther Fagan, an ex-con, who shot Mr. Miller and abducted his family, threatening their lives as he was pursued by a posse. In an episode that would attract national attention, Fagan was lured into an exposed position and fatally shot by Hermann Pregge, a local orchardist and noted marksman. The Glacier concluded, "The Oregon Parole Board should return fervent thanks to God for the availability of a man like Hermann Pregge."
Moving beyond local developments, the Glacier covered the 1882 Chinese Exclusion Act, arguing that it "seems like a harsh measure but the law is necessary and good." Another issue criticized a New York reverend for stating that the law would be hard to enforce and was an insult to an "accomplished people." The publishers of the Glacier demurred, "It is passing strange how readily a religious zealot can clothe with imaginary attributes a people whom he desires to inculcate with his doctrine."
Also featured were fictional stories such as "Her Rival's Valentine", which would run as a serial over several issues. Advertisements varied from local services such as George Prather's Dry Goods and the Glacier Barbershop, to products including Gravely Chewing Plug, Mazola vegetable oil, and Studebakers.
Provided by: University of Oregon Libraries; Eugene, OR