Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1777-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more
About Süd Dakota Nachrichten. (Mitchell, Süd=Dakota) 1890-1899
Mitchell, Süd=Dakota (1890-1899)
- Süd Dakota Nachrichten. : (Mitchell, Süd=Dakota) 1890-1899
- Place of publication:
- Mitchell, Süd=Dakota
- Geographic coverage:
- Hermann Butikofer
- Dates of publication:
- Began in 1890; ceased in 1899.
- Davison County (S.D.)--Newspapers.
- German Americans--South Dakota--Sioux Falls--Newspapers.
- German Americans.--fast--(OCoLC)fst00941308
- Germans--United States--Newspapers.
- Minnehaha County (S.D.)--Newspapers.
- Mitchell (S.D.)--Newspapers.
- Sioux Falls (S.D.)--Newspapers.
- South Dakota--Davison County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01215572
- South Dakota--Minnehaha County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01212332
- South Dakota--Mitchell.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01232690
- South Dakota--Sioux Falls.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01211505
- United States.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01204155
- Available on microfilm from: State Archives, South Dakota State Historical Society.
- Description based on: 2. Jahrg., Nr. 1 (30 Juli 1891).
- In German.
- Published in: Mitchell, S.D. <1890-1896>; and in: Sioux Falls, S.D. <1896-1899>.
- sn 98069094
- Related Titles:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
Süd Dakota Nachrichten
The Süd Dakota Nachrichten (South Dakota News) was published in the city of Mitchell by Hermann Butikofer, herausgeber (editor). Butikofer had emigrated from Bern, Switzerland in 1882, arriving first in Redfield, Dakota Territory, where he broke ground on a 25-acre plot of land. In 1890, he moved to Mitchell and set up a newspaper printing office. Beginning in 1891, the Nachrichten was printed in Fraktur font each Donnerstag (Thursday), consisting of six columns and eight pages. The annual subscription rate was $1.50, or $.75 for six months. The paper could also be shipped to Europe (nach Europa versandt) for an advance subscription payment of $2.00 per year.
The city of Mitchell, Davison County, Dakota Territory was founded in the 1870s as a trading post named Firesteel, in an area that began attracting German and German-Russian immigrants around 1873. In May 1879, the Chicago, Milwaukee, and Saint Paul Railroad sent notice of a proposed Dakota Rail system running east and west across the southern section of Dakota Territory; however, when the time came to bridge the James River, the railroad selected a site several miles farther west than Firesteel's location. This new site became known as Mitchell, after the railroad's president, Alexander Mitchell. To be near the established railway system, inhabitants of Firesteel physically moved their homes and businesses to the new Mitchell location.
The Süd Dakota Nachrichten offered the influx of German-speaking settlers news from the surrounding counties of Davison, Sanborn, McCook, Hanson, Jerauld, Aurora, Coddington, Spink, Lyman, Beadle, and Douglas. Its columns furnished details of personal visits, travel notes, births, deaths, and even small want ads. Some towns also highlighted their local news, in such columns as "Potpourri von Parkston" (Odds and Ends from Parkston). Plus, there was always the next excerpt from a serialized novel, such as Muth zur Wehrheit (Courage to Fight).
Much of the front-page news was national in nature, along with nearby state updates. The Nachrichten included market reports from Chicago, Minneapolis and St. Paul, South Omaha, Sioux City, and Kansas City. Kabelberichte von Europa (cable reports from Europe) brought news from Paris, Belgrade, Zurich, and other foreign locations. In addition, lokales (local columns) featured news notes from many surrounding South Dakota settlements, including Starr and Platte.
The Süd Dakota Nachrichten continued publication in Mitchell until May 1896, when Hermann Butikofer suspended the printing operation and moved it to Sioux Falls, South Dakota. Butikofer then sold the newspaper to Hans Demuth in 1900; moved to Washington State, near Seattle; and continued in the printing business. Demuth continued printing the German-language newspaper under the name of the Süd Dakota Nachrichten und Herold (South Dakota News and Herald). This newspaper went through several more title changes and editors before ceasing publication in 1918.