Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1789-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more
About The Tabor independent. [volume] (Tabor, S.D.) 1913-19??
Tabor, S.D. (1913-19??)
- The Tabor independent. [volume] : (Tabor, S.D.) 1913-19??
- Alternative Titles:
- Bon Homme independent
- Place of publication:
- Tabor, S.D.
- Geographic coverage:
- L.A. Dvorak
- Dates of publication:
- Vol. 9, no. 18 (Feb. 6, 1913)-
- Bon Homme County (S.D.)--Newspapers.
- Czech American newspapers.
- Czech Americans--Newspapers.
- Czech Americans.--fast--(OCoLC)fst00886333
- Czech-American newspapers.--fast--(OCoLC)fst00886452
- Czechs--South Dakota--Newspapers.
- South Dakota--Bon Homme County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01215576
- South Dakota--Tabor.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01888011
- South Dakota.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01204322
- Tabor (S.D.)--Newspapers.
- Also issued on microfilm from: State Archives, South Dakota State Historical Society.
- Chiefly in English with some Czech text.
- sn 99062018
- Preceding Titles:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
The Bon Homme County Independent The Tabor Independent
The Bon Homme County Independent (aka The Independent) started its newspaper life October 6, 1904 in Tabor, Bon Homme County, South Dakota. W. A Glasner, the managing editor and publisher, created the six-column, eight-page, weekly paper, published every Thursday. The first issue's front page stated, "This is the Bon Homme County Independent. It has come to stay; it speaks for itself and we leave the rest to you."
The paper's first print run of 1,000 copies was distributed with a notation that an annual subscription would cost $1.50. The paper was shared with surrounding communities, encouraging others to visit the fertile agricultural area with a high percentage of tillable land near the Missouri River.
Tabor's central location in Bon Homme County was easily accessed by the Platte branch of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St Paul railroads. The tracks had been set six years after the town of Tabor organized in April 1872. Most of the settlers reaching Tabor were of southern Bohemian (Czech) or Slovakian descent. The Independent referred to the Czech residents as being sturdy, honest, intellectual, and moral people. With Catholicism being the chief religion of this immigrant community, many events revolved around church-related activities. The church constructed the St Wenceslau's Academy, a day school and boarding school that provided education and dormitory facilities to students from kindergarten through grade 12.
When The Independent originated, South Dakota had already become a state with Pierre as its temporary capital. Several other cities challenged Pierre's location, including Huron and Mitchell. Mr. Glasner chose to support Mitchell in this cause and to rebuke Pierre's potential as a state capital location. In November 1904, an election was held to determine the capital location. All nearby bets were for Mitchell to win by a landslide, however, Pierre remained the permanent capital. The Independent did not report the results until two weeks later with a short note on page six.
The Bon Homme County Independent was turned over to Joseph Anton Dvorak February 23, 1905. He served as the editor, publisher, and proprietor. The paper layout remained eight pages by six columns. The annual cost of $1.50 continued until January 3, 1918 when it was increased to $2.00.
At least two pages were syndicated stories and columns with patent medicine advertising. Local and surrounding business advertisements were primarily featured. These ads included services for physician/surgeon, hotel, blacksmith, contractor, plasterer/mason, general store, hardware store, implement dealer, meat market, barber/hairdresser, harness maker, photographer, real estate agent, bank, livery, drug store, furniture store, restaurant, bakery, and nursery. There were also many ads for brewing companies and saloons with at least three being featured each week.
Starting in March 1905, Dvorak began printing two pages in his native Czech language. This section was titled České Oddělení, which translates as Czech Department. These pages included around the town hospitality news (České Zprávy) as well as short articles and want ads. Occasionally, a local obituary was included. A few of the advertisements on these pages were also in Czech. Most of the same information was included in the English portion of the paper.
On February 6, 1913, the paper became known as the Tabor Independent. J. A. Dvorak continued as its editor and publisher for many more years. While the paper reported on national and international people and events, its focus was always on serving Tabor and the surrounding Bon Homme County communities.